Cheapest MATX x58 sighted!

Its probably about as cheap as we'll see it for this type of X58. May hit $150 but I'm thinking that any X58 mobos priced lower than that will be strictly budget types that dont allow for OCing and have fewer features. At least for the time being. Hopefully I'm wrong but I got a feeling the manufacturers are keeping the prices high due to costs and profits.

Its probably about as cheap as we'll see it for this type of X58. May hit $150 but I'm thinking that any X58 mobos priced lower than that will be strictly budget types that dont allow for OCing and have fewer features. At least for the time being. Hopefully I'm wrong but I got a feeling the manufacturers are keeping the prices high due to costs and profits.

It's already very cheap considering the prices of the X48 mobos and X38 before that. The biggest difference with these 2 chipsets though is that the differentiation is now with the CPU socket so mobos can be cheap (people will have to pay up for the CPU).

anyone gonna bite the bullet and get one of these or do I have to be the guinea pig?

;)

It's already very cheap considering the prices of the X48 mobos and X38 before that. The biggest difference with these 2 chipsets though is that the differentiation is now with the CPU socket so mobos can be cheap (people will have to pay up for the CPU).

Just so we're clear, I wasn't talking about the chipset being cheaper. I'm talking about the damn CPU's being cheaper which is why I said "I wish they had cheaper i7's...."

After Skott's comment, it seems things got very far from what I had said.

The mobo prices are okay/fine. The CPU's are incredibly expensive. That was my point.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't talking about the chipset being cheaper. I'm talking about the damn CPU's being cheaper which is why I said "I wish they had cheaper i7's...."

After Skott's comment, it seems things got very far from what I had said.

The mobo prices are okay/fine. The CPU's are incredibly expensive. That was my point.

Yeah I agree. This is basically what I am saying. I was responding to Skott's comments, not yours.

Yeah I agree. This is basically what I am saying. I was responding to Skott's comments, not yours.

Yeah, I know. His comment (the best I can tell) was based on mine.... I think. I'm not totally sure since it was kind of out of nowhere.... :confused:

Well, I ordered 1 MSI board today. Hope to have it before the end of the week.

Last edited:
I ordered this board a few weekes ago and it is really pretty awesome, the only thing i don't like is the SATA connectors are on the side. This makes it a little more difficult to squeeze things in.

I ordered this board a few weekes ago and it is really pretty awesome, the only thing i don't like is the SATA connectors are on the side. This makes it a little more difficult to squeeze things in.

All of the X58 matx boards have the connectors located that way.

Best thing is to get some left angled SATA cables. I will help clearance a great deal.

Just got my board up and running.

You thought the Rampage 2 Gene NB runs hot, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Adding a fan or an aftermarket NB cooler is a necessity with this board.

silly question, but i am a newb. The other 16x pci express, is that only for a videocard or can i use my pci express soundcard on that one to, because my videocard takes up two slots.

silly question, but i am a newb. The other 16x pci express, is that only for a videocard or can i use my pci express soundcard on that one to, because my videocard takes up two slots.

I am pretty sure you can use another peripheral card in that slot with no ill effect.

Does anyone have any pictures of this board using an aftermarket cooler/heatsink for the northbridge?

I'm thinking about getting this board myself, but I want some ideas on a good chipset cooler that can fit.

Does anyone have any pictures of this board using an aftermarket cooler/heatsink for the northbridge?

I'm thinking about getting this board myself, but I want some ideas on a good chipset cooler that can fit.

I am going to be installing either a Thermalright HR05 or a Noctua NB cooler hopefully today, I will put up a pic when I do.

This board is really stellar by the way.

i7 920 D0 3849A866 1.22V 4,010. Using a Zalman 9700.
Idle temps in the mid 30s.

The NB is toasty at 63C but nothing a little aftermarket cooler won't help.

Slapped a Thermalright HR05 IFX on the board this weekend and NB temps dropped from 63 to 50C.

The board is stable as a rock.

Not sure what the price will be, but it should be out soon

This is SO on my shopping list..Black and red theme..Lian Li v351 RED,Gainward 285 GTX 2GB RED,..Looks so hot together..cant wait,,slow build do to cash flo.. :^X

This is SO on my shopping list..Black and red theme..Lian Li v351 RED,Gainward 285 GTX 2GB RED,..Looks so hot together..cant wait,,slow build do to cash flo.. :^X

Uh, there's already a thread on it.

Again, is there anyone using an aftermarket northbridge cooler on this board?

I plan on buying it this weekend, and I really don't want to do too much "experimentation."

Uh, there's already a thread on it.

Again, is there anyone using an aftermarket northbridge cooler on this board?

I plan on buying it this weekend, and I really don't want to do too much "experimentation."

Do you mean the MSI? I am using a Thermalright HR05 IFX. works fine.

Knocks about 10C off the temp without a fan.

So there's no further confusion, the HR-05 IFX does fit the X58M.

The CPU cooler used in those pictures is the Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V. (Unfortunately for me, the S1283V is too large for my case -- or, rather, my liking.)

Looking at mine, up close, I'd say that it may not be a true black. (The PCI-E and IDE/floppy slots are black.)

I believe that the actual color is called candy bar brown. :D

(Yeah, it's the same color as the picture in the link.)

So there's no further confusion, the HR-05 IFX does fit the X58M.

The CPU cooler used in those pictures is the Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V. (Unfortunately for me, the S1283V is too large for my case -- or, rather, my liking.)

Is this in a TJ08 like case?
What are your temps like?
Considering getting this setup as I have case, proc, & mem.

I'm going to get a HR-05 too. tiraides, which online store did you purchase that near-blacky pcb x58m?

Is this in a TJ08 like case?
What are your temps like?
Considering getting this setup as I have case, proc, & mem.

I really haven't played with everything yet. I've stopped using the desktop since I'm planning to order a new HSF (the S1283V is too large IMO for the TJ08-B) and replace the fans (as a CYA measure).

That, and I really haven't had much time lately to run everything.

I'm going to get a HR-05 too. tiraides, which online store did you purchase that near-blacky pcb x58m?

NewEgg. However, the X58M is also available at several other retailers.

Right now, I'm considering swapping the HR-05 IFX for the Xigmatek PTR-N881 since its slightly offset design makes it a bit easier to mount an 80mm fan onto it. However, I'm still trying to research more about it to ensure that it won't come into conflict with the Xigmatek HDT-S963 (that I plan on buying for this system).

Last edited:
Awesome Thanks Tiraides!

Is your TJ08-B new or did you buy it awhile ago? Is it a heavy chunk of metal on the front panel or has it gotten lighter?

Here are the results of the "experimenting" between the Thermalright HR-05 IFX and the Xigmatek PTR-N881:

So, yeah... I was lazy.... :eek: :p :D

... But I kind of knew the "answer" to my (rhetorical) question -- Will (the PTR-N881) fit? -- before I started "testing" things out.

For starters, here's the test bed:

The closeup shot of the PCI slots is to answer a question that was posted in the SFF forum thread for this board. The PCB is brown -- and yes, it's a Revision 1.1 board.

And here's the N881 with the 80x25mm fan attached:

As you can see, the heatsink is offset just enough to accommodate the fan. Space, however, is still an issue....

The long story short is that the size of both heatsinks (the HDT-SD964 and the PTR-N881) plus the lack of available space on the X58M makes for a generally bad fit. Regardless of how I position the heatsink portion of the N881, it ends up rubbing against something. Though I was eventually able to make things "fit" by positioning both heatsinks with the fans pointing upwards, it would be impossible to replicate inside the case with the PSU in place.

And to further emphasize the lack of overall space on the board:

... The heatsink portion of the N881 runs up against the retention bracket on the back of the GPU. Granted, I could remove the fan and just "flip" the heatsink, but the N881 would end up brushing against the SD964 in some way, shape, or form.

For comparison's sake, here's the HR-05 along with the video card and SD964:

Awesome Thanks Tiraides!

Is your TJ08-B new or did you buy it awhile ago? Is it a heavy chunk of metal on the front panel or has it gotten lighter?

Heavy? I'd call the PSU heavy, but the front panel...?

I bought it a couple a months ago, before I purchased the rest of my components. I'm going to take a wild stab and say that the front of the case is aluminum, like the rest of the case itself.

Last edited:
One other thing of note: I'm using the four-pipe Xigmatek HDT-SD964 as my CPU cooler.

The long story short is that Benchmark Reviews recognized, and a few other hardware review sites have confirmed, that three-pipe HDT-based CPU coolers suffer a comparative performance loss due to the fact that the CPU cores in the Core i7 design are more spread out than they are in the Core 2 or AMD-based designs. Four-pipe HDT-based coolers seem to be able cover the "wider" core placements, but heatsinks with a solid base (like most Thermalright and Noctua CPU coolers) aren't really affected (plus, they normally have more than three heatpipes).

The sources for my research are in my General Hardware thread (with the link located within the first quote, by my user name).

One more thing: The board has holes for Socket 775 and Socket 1366 heatsinks, so you don't have to buy a new mounting kit to reuse some of the older-yet-still-great CPU coolers. But the three-pipe HDT "limitation" is still something to keep in mind for those who wish to overclock with this board.

Last edited:
Back