Cheapest card for dual monitor without extra power

sequoia

Limp Gawd
I have an old P4 3.2Ghz (dont laugh), 4GB RAM, that need a new video card. It is a back-up PC, being used mainly for surfing, speadsheets and sometime playing movie on one monitor while the other monitor is being used for work. No gaming whatsoever.

The idea is to find the cheapest card that can drive two monitors with enough juice, and play 1080 movie. It would be good if the card does not need extra power plug. I am thinking 9800GT - some model does not need extra power. I am not sure if there is a better solutions?

Appreciate the input guys....

My roommate just got rid of a computer at about those specs and he had a 4350 in there which drove his 1080 Asus monitor and his old 1280x1024 Dell monitor fine. i would recommend an nvidia 520 or an ATI 5450. Those cards will have more than enough power and do not require power connectors.
This Asus card has a nice rebate right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121475

Hope this helps

Since you didn't specify I am going to assume your motherboard has a pci-e slot. My P4 desktop at home only has agp. Anyways I would recommend both cards the previous poster recommended. the gt520 would be a great choice especially since it is fan-less. I wouldn't recommend the 9800GT. It will consume a fair amount of power and it might be more than you need since you said you won't be doing any gaming on it. Plus the P4 already consumes its fair share of power.

I would definitely go with the ATI 5450, they can often be found for less than $20 AMIR and can do their fair share for light gaming duties if one should chose to do so :)

Back