Cheapest 5-in-3 (in Europe)?

jfromeo

n00b
Chenbro, Icy Dock, iStar, Raidage...?

They are incredibly pricey at least in Europe, well over +120€ each (~$200) and eBay doesn't help either as with shipping costs from USA they almost hit the ~$200 tag.

I thought the 5-in-3 were really simple and inexpensive, a cage holder with a backplane and being trayless but I was wrong.

Something I've read is that all 5-in-3 "have" RAID 0/1/0+1/5 capabilities. What does it mean? Do they do RAID on their own, without the need of a controller? I plan to use them with an Adaptec 12-port controller RAID card, and intended to RAID6 them. Does that mean I couldn't use RAID6 because the 5-in-3 doesn't support it?

Thanks!

Hotswap 5-3 Caddy. SATA II With Cooling Fan. £49+ V.A.T. 100 units Due Feb 20th
caddy.jpg

More here:
http://www.xcase.co.uk/category-s/102.htm

On Xcase.co.uk

No they do not have any raid of their own. I have a few of these (several different brands) and there is no builtin raid. Just the device works in a raid. I use these mostly in linux software raid but I do have one workstation at work that needed to be windows so I had to use a 3ware card for the raid since the nvidia software raid was horribly slow under windows. Slow to the point that a RAID 10 was slower than a single disk in all benchmarks that I did.

Last edited:
I use similar bays but without fan turned on.
Granted only GP drices are inside.
They operate at 40C. The way I did it is only a 12cm fan sucks the air out of the case. All holes are taped shut, so the air gets pulled through the 5in3 cages. :)
Server is low power, but still.

If I open the case and dont turn on the cages fans, the drives overheat to 50C in 30min even while in idle! Alarm goes off! :D
Ironic...

Im going to have to keep an eye on that, was looking for a decent price for one of these in the uk.

Cheers for that

I do not have any from this manufacturer however these vans are generally pretty noisy even in slow speed. For my units I am pretty sure I can remove the fan although I have not tried.

I'd say:

Norco SS-500
iStarUSA BPU-350-RED
IcyDock, Xclio, Chenbro, and a few other random brands that are hard to find.

I really need a better case before I go forward on one of those. I'm pretty set on the Norco...

Back