Cheaper card for 3440x1440? Gtx 1070 or newer ?

Roflcopter_Down

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi [h],
Looking for cheaper card for 3440x1440. Only computer game I really play is Warcraft 3, sometimes other oldies; but want to try a few newer games like Detroit. Leaning towards a used gtx 1070... Any advice? It was released over 4 years ago, worth getting a newer but similar card?

If you want to play newer games I suggest getting something better than a 1070 for ultra wide resolutions, especially 3440x1440. I'd look into an RTX 2060 Super if you don't care much about maxing games out and mainly play older titles. But prices seem to be a hit higher at the moment, I recall there being deals in the sub $400 range but right now they're typically $400-430.

Well, I recently got a 3440x1440 monitor and it is a lot of pixels.

Even with a 2080 Ti, I'm getting around 100 - 120 fps in new games on high settings.

Might be a little rough for a GTX 1070 to hold up unless you are talking about low settings or 60 Hz.

I moved from a 1070 because it just wasn't enough for 3440x1440, even with serious graphical sacrifices. The nail in the coffin with Modern Warfare still being unplayable at 50% resolution scaling. Really just depends on the game though. My main title is Destiny 2 and given that's an older game at this point, I had no trouble hitting between 60-90fps which was plenty for me.

At this time, I don't think "cheaper card" and 3440x1440 would be a thing.

Hate to say it as I usually believe that you should get what you need when you need it but wait for a while, it seems were pretty close to a new release from Nvidia and prices should drop on older cards then.

I'm fine with low settings if it runs steady 60fps, but seems I need to spend more. And seems new cards drop aug/sept, which is an uncomfortable wait. Glad I asked; thanks for the input.
Another question, I have a slightly oc'd i5-4690k. Will that risk bottlenecking in a few years? being newer cpus about 25-50% faster?

I'm fine with low settings if it runs steady 60fps, but seems I need to spend more. And seems new cards drop aug/sept, which is an uncomfortable wait. Glad I asked; thanks for the input.
Another question, I have a slightly oc'd i5-4690k. Will that risk bottlenecking in a few years? being newer cpus about 25-50% faster?

Ha, ok so my old system was a 4690k and a 1070 running at 3440x1440. It's recently been replaced specifically because that res was just too much to player new games comfortably. Now it's a 2700X and 2080 Super and it's much better suited.

Your 4690K might not bottleneck much with current cards/titles at 3440x1440 but as games eventually will use up more cores if available you should consider an upgrade within a year.

Low settings might be okay, but 3440x1440 does use more VRAM. In general I'd want a GPU with 8GB, especially going forward with newer games. Even with settings turned down you might get close to running out for new games at that resolution. Something to keep in mind.

Follow up-- found a PNY 1070ti for $200 which seemed like a deal, it actually holds up at 3440x1440 60fps. Detroit and MGS5 run smooth and maxed out. Hell Let Loose runs smooth with mixed settings. Should last until I need a new everything in a few years.
And PNY reminds me of childhood...saving up and buying the cheapest card I could afford at Compusa, which was usually a noisy PNY that might overheat.

Further follow up...bought one of them newer 240hz 1080p monitors and 1070ti is perfect for 240+fps

Last edited:
Good find.

I used to like PNY but they denied an RMA one time back in the day, and I swore to never buy them again.

Aside from that experience, they do make quality products, though.

PNY is fine, I have a PNY RTX2070 and its been problem free with good performance, if anything its cooling is not the greatest as it can be a bit loud and warm imho.

Back