cheap way to test ethernet cables

venm11

2[H]4U
I'm having some trouble maintaining gigabit speeds on some runs in my house. I've looked at cheap cable testers ($20-ish) but I am wondering if there's software that will let you do these things (and more) on a laptop or pc.

My laptop all have intel or broadcom nics. Is there windows software (perhaps part of the driver suite) that will let you diagnose wiring problems, do bandwidth or error rate tests, etc?

Intel Proset Tools has diagnostic features that can check for bad wiring. As do some broadcom diagnostic utilities.

ok. intel proset told me that the network is running at 100mbits, but cannot find any reason why. "No cable problems detected". None of the other diagnostics show issues either. I'd assume that there's a discontinuity somewhere (bad crimp?), but you'd think that intel diags would tell me that. If it's missing a wire it will fall back to 100mbits, right?

I haven't been able to find the broadcom utility.

So, it seems I'm going to need to get a cheap cable tester and hope it gives the reason.

Such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899997006

Last edited:
Force the adapter into 1Gb mode and retest.

See how long the calculated line is. If it reads way off, its either a bad connection.

Ok this is interesting. When I force the nic into 1gbit/full duplex, it permits more testing options in proset diags. Or it might be that it doesn't permit "test cable connections and frequency response" on a connection that has a link.

So, at 100mbit all it tells me about cables is: "no cable problems detected | polarity: normal".

At 1gbit I get "this adapter has no link" and "poor quality cable detected" and some possible causes. Distance to problem is 10m.... which might be slightly longer than the cable. There's a lot of cluttered AC wiring at that far end, and it runs behind an iron water heater...

QwertyJuan - rosewill does make a $10 tester, but this seems to do some extra stuff.

Chuckster - windowses, but I have linuxxen if there's a unique tool on that. The router is also running DD-WRT, which I was hoping there'd be some sort of network test tool for, but so far no joy.

Maybe I should just re-terminate the cable or replace it. That's cheaper that a $10 tester. I just don't know if there's interference from something... or perhaps a hotspot of psychokinetic energy. And I don't want to get stuck having to buy more cabling. This stuff is the stiff riser/duct cabling (cat 5e), but it's not actually in-wall, it goes through the walls and along the baseboard and around furniture, which means it gets more flex than it probably should.

Make sure you match solid cable with modular RJ45 heads for solid or stranded cabling with modular RJ45 heads for stranded and don't mix match.

Also, 100base-tx uses pins 4, 5, 7 and 8 while 1000base-tx uses all pins including 1, 2, 3 and 6. If 100mb is stable but 1000mb is not then focus on the second set of pins, double check the wire mapping and recrimp.

Those cheap <$50 cable testers only do simple continuity, wire mapping, toning and maybe cable length guestimate. If you have signal integrity, interference, cross-talk, etc. issues you need >$1000 cable certifiers.

Good luck.

Make sure you match solid cable with modular RJ45 heads for solid or stranded cabling with modular RJ45 heads for stranded and don't mix match.

Also, 100base-tx uses pins 4, 5, 7 and 8 while 1000base-tx uses all pins including 1, 2, 3 and 6. If 100mb is stable but 1000mb is not then focus on the second set of pins, double check the wire mapping and recrimp.

Those cheap <$50 cable testers only do simple continuity, wire mapping, toning and maybe cable length guestimate. If you have signal integrity, interference, cross-talk, etc. issues you need >$1000 cable certifiers.

Good luck.

getting back to this...

it seems I have solid-core cat5e with cat5 connectors that can be used on solid or stranded. In fact, that's all I can find for cat5, although some are 5e and shielded. Does that matter? Would using cat6 connectors make any sense to try?

These connectors are ridiculously expensive in small quantities, so I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing. I'm willing to invest in something that will fix the problem for certain, but ..!?

Good luck.

Typo in there. 100base uses 1,2,3 & 6.

Ideally, you should always match connectors to cabling - how long are the runs?

I have an older Byte Bros tester and I love it. Only does 10/100, but will check all pairs at layer 1.

Those cheap testers on amazon or ebay don't work at all.
That's funny. I use a $10 tester make sure my crimps are good. It works great! I can see when I've screwed up or made a bad connection. Maybe you're one of those network tool snobs.

Are we talking about a simple tester thats does the same thing as a DMM or are we talking real networks testers, that can verify the cables for real? the price difference is about +2000USD :)

It all depends what you need done. Do you need to verify continuity only, or do you need to verify performance? :cool:

Exactly my point.

for 99% the continuity tester is fine, but for the last 1% you need the analyser.

Back