cheap way to get internet at my CCTV box

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Dosobye, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Dosobye

Dosobye Limp Gawd

It requires a wired connection and it would be crazy to run a cat5 there from my router. Can I buy another router or something and use the internal switch inside of that to connect to the box ?
    Thank you

2. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Are you looking to extend a iptv type cable box? If so and you have wifi just get one of those adapters for 20 to 25$ that will allow you take a wired device and turn it into wireless.

3. k1pp3r

k1pp3r [H]ardness Supreme

4. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

What the distance. What you might want to do if you have decent line of sight or close distance unifi gear would work. There airmax line of products

5. SamirD

SamirD Gawd

Do you have wifi signal there at the CCTV? Do you have a coax, phone, or power outlet near it?

If you have wifi, you can use a wifi adapter sometimes called a 'gaming adapter' to connect a wired device to the wifi network. This would probably be the easiest/cheapest.

Otherwise, you can use different types of adapters to get a wired connection to the cctv unit. Moca will work over coax, a netsys-direct box will work over phone wire, and powerline adapters can work over the power outlet.