Cheap, Ultrafast Broadband? Hong Kong Has It

if i remember correctly, Hong Kong is famous for free port and low tax rate :D

Correct. This is why Hong Kong is consistantly at the top of the economic freedom charts.

Meanwhile, here in the US, especially in large cities where they should have the density to provide these kind of speeds, we have too much big goverment working with the providers to limit competition and keep prices high.

You know what? I'll pay for the internet.

I'll pay for two internets.

You pay for the house.

+1000

I know people like to bitch about it but there is a huge cost difference. Its impossible to draw a comparison in broadband between Hong Kong and the US. Not even NYC has the same population density.

New York city 26,402 people per square mile
Hong Kong 16,444 people per square mile

So then we should have even faster speeds in our big cities. Wouldn't you agree?

Gigabit ethernet to the home? I'm lucky to have 2 Mbit currently.

i would settle for symmetrical bandwidth. Why we cant get it is beyond me. But i personally would be grateful if i could get 10/10 speed. It would surely be enough to handle anything i'd need.

I have a 25/25 line through Verizon....so it is available, but as always, its not available to everyone.

It could also be that instead of measuring executive success by counting the number of Yachts purchased per year, they actually put money back into the company and built it on a share of the profits instead of the backs of it's customers.

We have fasttttt internet, but only in marketable/profitable locations (very small part of major cities) where the communications companies want to profit from.

I am in a suburb and there is no FiOs here still..... shame, shame, shame

I pay 40$ish (bundle with tv, which is about to get removed) for 30/5mbit. I see the rates solid and they never have dipped. But I live in Dallas, our average population density is like 3,700 people/sq mile.

I really do wonder how much our infrastructure here in the US could support. We went from seeing 5-10mbit connections to 30-50 connections pretty quickly in larger cities.. I have a feeling our infrastructure could probably support a LOT more than they are letting on.

They're pulling the same shit most technology companies do.. They do a trickle release so they can create a faux-market to make more money over the long haul.

If we all had 26$ 100mbit connections even.. do you know how much money all the ISPs would "lose" as in not be raping people over..

Like someone else pointed out.. it's all about fucking the customer over.

I work in an industry that has thrived in the economic downturn.. and while our stock has gone up and up and efficiency has increased a lot over the past two years.. they're screwing everyone over on raises/promotions.

I'm not one to be a tin foil hat wearing whistle blower type but, corporations are constantly pushing the limits of what is considered criminal IMHO.

One would think there would be a form of federal government to oversee and impose fines and punishments like we have in the local forms of government.. owait.. :) yay lobbying and corruption.

i like how they're able to offer a gigabit connection to a much more dense population and profit for a price way lower than anything in Canada without their nodes being too busy when in Canada the ISP complains that "ppl are downloading too much therefore we need to charge heavy users"

New York city 26,402 people per square mile
Hong Kong 16,444 people per square mile

So then we should have even faster speeds in our big cities. Wouldn't you agree?

Not exactly true. The land of HK includes lots and lots of mountainous terrain. While NYC has very little. So if you minus the area of the mountains (and any body of water) HK's density will be higher. But that's probably not the main factor on why they have such cheap broadband. The labor cost in HK is so cheap, the government and those private companies involved only have to spend a fracture of the cost to get the same job done as here. If Verizon and AT&T can laid out FiOS at very cheap cost and still make a good profit charging people $26 a month they will do it. But in reality they can't afford to pay their hundreds of 6 figured engineers to lay out the lines and still make a profit with $26 a month 1Gb internet.

There's much more use for it than just torrents and warez...

Yeah I know, I was just using it as an example simply because half the people in my life who always complain about not having the super high speeds are always torenting warez and pirated stuff.

Not exactly true. The land of HK includes lots and lots of mountainous terrain. While NYC has very little. So if you minus the area of the mountains (and any body of water) HK's density will be higher. But that's probably not the main factor on why they have such cheap broadband. The labor cost in HK is so cheap, the government and those private companies involved only have to spend a fracture of the cost to get the same job done as here. If Verizon and AT&T can laid out FiOS at very cheap cost and still make a good profit charging people $26 a month they will do it. But in reality they can't afford to pay their hundreds of 6 figured engineers to lay out the lines and still make a profit with $26 a month 1Gb internet.
Hog wash, they can and they do. Once they get their tax right-offs and spread they cost out over many years. Just ask the sharehoders if their not happy with at&t returns. If they quit ripping off the consumer by not giving so much back to the Execs and shareholders and then going back to the Taxpayers for another bailout, I'm sure we'd all be happy.

is it just me or does a lot of ppl on here are mixing up MB/s and Mb/s or more commonly Mbps?
MB/s = megabytes per second
Mb/s or Mbps = megabits per second
it's 1000Mbps speed and not 1000MB/s speed which is closer to a 10Gbps connection
compress 1080p video is closer to 30Mbps not 30MB/s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units
just so everyone's on the same page

Back