cheap place to get cat 5

SticKx911

2[H]4U
I need to get about 200-400ft (plus a small hand full of connectors and wall plates) of cat 5 to wire my house. Where's the best place to get that all at once? I'm assuming big box like home depot will be more expensive?

Thanks!

Home Depot's pricing is not that bad, considering you get a name brand cable, whereas the stuff Monoprice sells may or may not be a name brand, cheap stuff. $59.00 for 500ft CAT5e, $89.00 for 1000ft. The brand is Southwire, though my local Home Depot is still selling older General Cable boxes. They sell Leviton CAT5e connectors, also good quality stuff.

Edit: Plus side is Home Depot has this stuff in stock and you don't have to pay shipping (bulk boxes of CAT5/6 are heavy).

Last edited:
I would also recommend monoprice for any size cable. I have had nothing but high quality cables(thick gauge with gold plating) when ordering from them for the past 3-4 years. I have purchased multiple cat5, cat6, hdmi, vga, dvi cables in addition to some hard to find cables.

I bought my last batch of CAT5e from firefold.com. They were the only ones that had the right lime green CAT5e that I wanted. Bout the same price as monoprice, and the shipping was not terrible.

Home Depot's pricing is not that bad, considering you get a name brand cable, whereas the stuff Monoprice sells may or may not be a name brand, cheap stuff. $59.00 for 500ft CAT5e, $89.00 for 1000ft. The brand is Southwire, though my local Home Depot is still selling older General Cable boxes. They sell Leviton CAT5e connectors, also good quality stuff.

Edit: Plus side is Home Depot has this stuff in stock and you don't have to pay shipping (bulk boxes of CAT5/6 are heavy).

Are you saying Home depot sells southwire cable or that southwire is not a name brand?

FYI, Southwire has a large plant in Carrolton GA

Home Depot stocks good name brand cable. I'd never heard of firefold, I ordered some samples of their wire.

Monoprice is what I have been buying. The quality can be hit or miss, gone through about 20 boxes of their bulk cat5/cat5e/shielded cat5.

Their ends are OK. Used the crimp-on and punch down panels/blocks.

My punch down tool is shot though:(

Are you saying Home depot sells southwire cable or that southwire is not a name brand?

FYI, Southwire has a large plant in Carrolton GA

I haven't used Southwire cable, but it appears to be a name brand cable. Home Depot also carries General Cable. I've always used that without any issues.

well I got some samples of wire from firefold...seems okay, I don't know if they actually make it. One piece said 'vertical cable' which is another manufacturer.

I tried monoprice but I actually found it cheaper at Ebay with free shipping. It is also good stuff with 1 ft markings and good shielding.

Back