Cheap Place for ethernet

Yz388

Limp Gawd
Where can i find some ethernet cable for a good price?

I checked newegg, but i do not think they have it. Maybe like a 25 foot

Thanks

Of course newegg has ethernet cables. Here is a 25 foot cable for $3.25. If you want bulk ethernet cable, check out compgeeks.com; they usually have a 1000-foot box for around $40, and it usually comes with a crimper and some rj-45 connectors.

eBay also has some pretty good prices on bulk and pre-made cables. I got 10 7ft crossover cables for 12 bucks (shipping was almost half of that :( )

7ft crossover cable? How about making any length straight-through cable a crossover cable. Just make a 1-2 inch adapter with one end being male another being female with one end being T-568A color code and the other T-568B color code. Or you can just got to thinkgeek.com and buy a few for $6 a each - http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/7470/

Because I needed a bunch of them for my lab, and when I can get cables for cheap enough, its not worth my time or effort to manufacture a bunch of them. If I just needed one, or I needed a custom lenth, I make them myself.

Crossovers are becoming a thing of the past anyway... I can't remember what it is called, but I know that my newest NIC's can support a corssover connect with a standard cable...

Ya, the gig ethernet IEEE standards call for that. I've got some older Cisco devices set up for CCNP hands on stuff that I couldn't do at work (don't want to cause an outage :p )

and someone explain what cross over cables are compared to ethernet cables?

And whats cat mean, when i look up ethernet stuff, the word cat cable is usually with it

Yz388 said:
and someone explain what cross over cables are compared to ethernet cables?

And whats cat mean, when i look up ethernet stuff, the word cat cable is usually with it

A crossover cable just crosses the wiring so that the TX pair on one end connect to the RX pair on the other, and vice versa. It's used when you're not using a hub or a switch, which would do this crossover for you.

CAT = Category. These days, ethernet typically uses CAT 5, 5e, or 6 cable.

Back