"Cheap" Microcenter 1TB ssd (Inland Pro) for XB1 X?

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Does this help a lot with loading times on games? Anyone tried doing the internal replacement? I'm tempted....

Link

Helps a little, but not as much on a PC. Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra $/GB to go with a SSD on a console since the improvement in loading time generally isn't worth it while the extra space totally is. And no, you won't gain much, if anything, installing internally versus using externally since the X uses USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Does this help a lot with loading times on games? Anyone tried doing the internal replacement? I'm tempted....

Link

Should be comparison loading videos on youtube.

on ps4 its a waste
ps4 pro it's kinda meh.

If 1tb ever gets down to the price of a game, say 70 bucks, i'll probably upgrade. But until then it's probably a waste for any of them.

It doesn't really make a huge difference. The base PS4 is still using SATA 2 and even though the Pro uses SATA 3, SSDs have a minimal impact.

If it doesn't make a difference... then the consoles are just slow to begin with.

Moving to an SSD made a huge difference for a swath of games on the desktop. Not all, but the newer and higher quality it is, the bigger the difference generally.

And no, you won't gain much, if anything, installing internally versus using externally since the X uses USB 3.1 Gen 2.

I'm thinking that this is 10Gbps... but if it's still just 5Gbps, that's faster than any spinner made, right, by a factor of about two? And then there's the 1/1000th access latency?

Figure an external 2TB SSD (smaller or larger as warranted) would provide a decent speedup- unless as suggested above, the consoles just don't make use of it?

I'd be using it for XB1 X not ps4...still no difference? I need more space & trying to decide if I should get a 1TB ssd for $85 or a 2TB portable USB drive for like $60.

Not sure I really need 2TB, and also not sure which 2TB are NOT SMR....(many are & smr really sucks).

I'd be using it for XB1 X not ps4...still no difference? I need more space & trying to decide if I should get a 1TB ssd for $85 or a 2TB portable USB drive for like $60.

Not sure I really need 2TB, and also not sure which 2TB are NOT SMR....(many are & smr really sucks).

From what I recall when watching all the before after videos, the 2 xbox models were roughly the same. Night and day difference on PC, but IO is just garbage on all the consoles apparently.

Don’t waste your money. Next gen consoles will finally be SSD ready and a million times faster.

Just not worth it at all on these current gen PS4 Pro’s and Xbox One X

Do you guys have any suggestions for a ~ $60 2TB usb 3.0 2.5" "portable" non SMR drive?

I found a "WD ELEMENTS"

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

External SSDs made a big difference for my XB1s for Anthem, and seems to help somewhat in everything else. Its not like it was on the PC where it was night and day for everything. They are among the fastest and don't require external power but more expensive than what you are indicated you are looking, though. These are what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073H552FJ Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 1TB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA1T0B/AM), Black.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Guys, I found a 2TB portable SMR in my laptop bag I haven't touched in a while, so I'm going to see how performance is on that. In the short term my storage problems will be fixed that way. If performance is noticeably worse than the internal drive I'll look for something else. Thanks for all the advice. Looks like SSD isn't the way to go at this point in time.

Also- I don't get the issue with SMR here.

SMR is asstastic for random workloads, but for stuff that's mostly sequential it works great and it should work great here.

Back