Cheap (Maybe Free?) Email Hosting Place (For Home Use)?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Basically I was going to buy a domain to have a "personalized" email address.

Cheap enough, few bucks a year.

My question is who can host the email? Like who can I point the MX records to? Anywhere cheap to do that- or even free?

I was figuring once I got the mail onto a server at some point, I could just set a Gmail account up to POP download all the emails into...

Any ideas? I just don't want to setup my own server at home (Power outages and whatnot would guarantee not getting any emails).

pretty sure you can use google apps for free. i currently have 3 or 4 google apps accounts (as in 4 different domains, with multiple email addresses per domain)

pretty sure you can use google apps for free. i currently have 3 or 4 google apps accounts (as in 4 different domains, with multiple email addresses per domain)

Yea but not with a custom domain name though, correct?

I was thinking, I could use a mail spooling service for if a server at home died... Hmmmm...

I guess I'm just seeing this "feature" in the Premire:
Business features
25GB email storage per user,
BlackBerry and Microsoft Outlook
interoperability and more

Now, I'd take that to mean that's hosted email. If I don't go with Premire I don't get that, right? So if I don't go with Premire they won't accept MX records?

I think it means that with regular Gmail, you only get 7402 MB of space where as with Premiere you get 25GB per user.

I think it means that with regular Gmail, you only get 7402 MB of space where as with Premiere you get 25GB per user.

If that's the case, then I can't beat that :D

Thanks folks... Now I just got to see if the folks that are domain squatting on my last name want a ridiculous amount of money.. hmmm....

I use google apps for my personalized e-mail. When you consider that godaddy is doing my DNS hosting for free and then teh google is hosting my mail for free, it's a complete mystery to me why people pay hosting providers unless you need some kind of premium feature or support.

Anyhow, gmail is loaded with attractive features, and it's easy to get it set up with just about anything. For example, I have IMAP enabled, and I use Thunderbird at home. It plays nicely with my mailbox and my calendar. Now, I also have a Blackberry (though you can do this with just about any smartphone), and I have my e-mail and calendar set up there as well. No more stupid plugins or leaving the computer on if you don't want to (some people are really particular about the electric bill). Everyting is nicely distributed and synchronized.

Besides, you just can't beat easy+free.

I use google apps for my personalized e-mail. When you consider that godaddy is doing my DNS hosting for free and then teh google is hosting my mail for free, it's a complete mystery to me why people pay hosting providers unless you need some kind of premium feature or support.
Most hosting providers are included with the ISP.
It's just in my case, my ISP's webmail sucks. That and I'm thinking of dropping them for <shudder> DSL since they can't get my timeout issue fixed...

But, GoDaddy charges $10 for private registrations, $10 at Google... I'll just signup for it at Google and let them configure the domain :D

But yea, in all reality- this costs $10/year. $10/year to never have to change your email again.

I might hop over to Microsoft Office Online once they get that going, but until then Google Apps seems great.

Google.

I use it for 2 domains, and it is also used for another project.

I've already got it setup and working there...
Pretty easy- IMAP access too, I can use Outlook if I still need to!

Back