Cheap kids / grandma / NAS PC - C2D E8400 $38 shipped

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
I thought this was sort of warm for the right buyer... Directron is selling business used Core 2 Duo E8400 (3ghz dual core) basic machines for $38 with free shipping throughn their eBay store. I figure these would make excellent basic NAS boxes, grandma's PC, kid's PC, etc. A box to throw linux on to dick around with.... lots of uses.

It should be noted that these are sold AS IS, WHERE IS unless damaged during shipping. But I know a few people including uxwbill on youtube who have bought them and had no real trouble.

Specs:

Intel DQ35JOE motherboard
2GB DDR2 included
160GB SATA HDD
SATA DVD R/RW drive
Onboard firewire
Gigabit LAN
6 SATA ports + 1 eSATA
8+ USB 2.x ports (plus more headers on the board I think)
300w PSU
PCIE x16 slot + 2 PCIE x1 slots + 1x legacy PCI

All have Windows Vista installed, most have COAs on the bottom. Not that anyone would actually run Vista on them today... but....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282403357237

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like a great computer to throw in my MAME arcade cabinet. Have to admit I've always had a soft spot for the E8x00 Core2Duos. Lots of great overclocking memories.

Might pick one up to mess with. Have a q6600 quad laying around some where also. Be nice to mess with linux on.

Awesome deal for what it is.
They are giving them away for the cost of shipping.

I'd buy one or two but don't need more equipment laying around in my office. :rolleyes:

Add a NIC card and you have a good pfSense box.

Reactions: bwang
like this
Pretty clear deal but don't you think, Windows Vista is too old to deal with now?

Yeah, they really need to invent a PC that you can install an operating system more than once on.... or hell, even put a different OS entirely on....

Spend 7$ on a Win7 license on the forum, or similar. Or for older tech, Linux is always an awesome option.

Hell, said Windows 7 key will still install Windows 10... and Windows 10 will run just as good as 7 on this hardware if not better, if you're not on the anti-telemetry Win10 bandwagon. ;) Honestly I'd scrounge up 2 more GB of RAM if I were going to run Windows on these though.

Soooo many good flavors of desktop linux will run fantastic on these OOB though.

Tempting as hell, but a little power hungry for a NAS or Pfsense box imo.

Makes me wonder how it would do at 1080 streaming over the LAN tho....

Tempting as hell, but a little power hungry for a NAS or Pfsense box imo.

Makes me wonder how it would do at 1080 streaming over the LAN tho....
Sort of? Most of these OEM units are pretty power-light when not doing heavy load work.
I'd be shocked if these averaged over 35W normally.

I used to use those boards at my shop. They failed more often than my old Foxconn Cap Plague boards. The chipset heatsink mount is GARBAGE. The plastic cracks, the metal clip pops free and the heatsink tilts off. Best Case, the chipset dies overtime from heat. Worst Case, that clip flies into the PSU and fries everything.

I bought 3 of these.

there's a reason he said "Not that anyone would actually run Vista on them today"

Spend 7$ on a Win7 license on the forum, or similar. Or for older tech, Linux is always an awesome option.

I sell them every so often for less than the price of a McDonalds meal and there's people here that resell them for less than a few beers. Can't beat it.

$30 in risers, a $60 650w PSU, $10 add-a-PSU adapter, and you've got a 3-card mining rig for $140 + cards altogether. Not bad!

If this has a supported vga card, this would be a great "chromebox" for someone using "cloudready".

This is basically chromeos for x86.

Round $25 (I think?) for a dual port network card and that'd make a pretty nice firewall.

How would one of these fair with an HD4850 for light older gaming?

Good god, this actually tempts me to buy something from Directron again. (I actually use to work for Prime Systems). The poor souls that had to assemble these systems in the back of the warehouse during the summer in Houston with 0 AC and very little airflow...

They support any Core 2/PD/CD/PDC series besides extreme editions as far as I can tell. i got my 3 todsy, packed super well, super fucking heavy box.

As an FYI, all 3 of mine came with Corsair RAM, Segate 7200.10 HDDs, and LITE-ON ODDs.

Last edited:
According to Intel website, even a few 4C Xeons will work. (X3360, X3350, X3230, X3220, X3210)

Max CPU is what? Q6700? You can get a Q6600 for $11 on ebay.
You can get a C2Quad Q9450 w 12MB Cache for ~25$ BIN on ebay currently, if you want to upgrade the CPU in this little bugger.

Or a C2Quad Q9400 w 6MB Cache is ~15 BIN, too.... (Above the 9450's though, the price starts jumping)

pfsense time bitches!

Oh, timing. Getting ready to jump into pfsense. Was planning on a custom mini-PC but that's out of the budget right now. So I decided to look into re-purposing my old T61 laptop, but that gets into the "need two ethernet cards" dilemma (dongle vs switch/VLAN). A cheap managed switch is almost the cost of this full pc. Pretty sure I have a Q9300, DDR2 RAM and a spare NIC down in the basement boneyard too. Yeah, this box won't run the eventual ver. 2.5, but that's still a ways away anyhow. This is a cheap option to jump in and play.

Last edited:
To each his own, but I wouldn't do this. I dumped my overclocked Q6600 I had for many years (with 8gb ram ) because it just wasn't an enjoyable computing experience anymore (not even gaming). Also all the heat and power consumption the thing was a dog. Dumped the mobo, ram, and CPU on Craigslist for $40 and spent $100 on a lease return Dell optiplex 790 with a core i5 2400 / 8gb ram off Ebay, and threw in my drives (SSD and HD) .. Very capable / cool and quite rig for my daughter. It really isn't a good idea to waste your time on anything less than a 2nd gen core i5 anymore (as it is only slightly more expensive), unless you are purposing a rig for really light loads / linux etc.

Last edited:
I thought this was sort of warm for the right buyer... Directron is selling business used Core 2 Duo E8400 (3ghz dual core) basic machines for $38 with free shipping throughn their eBay store. I figure these would make excellent basic NAS boxes, grandma's PC, kid's PC, etc. A box to throw linux on to dick around with.... lots of uses.

It should be noted that these are sold AS IS, WHERE IS unless damaged during shipping. But I know a few people including uxwbill on youtube who have bought them and had no real trouble.

Specs:

Intel DQ35JOE motherboard
2GB DDR2 included
160GB SATA HDD
SATA DVD R/RW drive
Onboard firewire
Gigabit LAN
6 SATA ports + 1 eSATA
8+ USB 2.x ports (plus more headers on the board I think)
300w PSU
PCIE x16 slot + 2 PCIE x1 slots + 1x legacy PCI

All have Windows Vista installed, most have COAs on the bottom. Not that anyone would actually run Vista on them today... but....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282403357237

<opens box...>

"Oh man, it's full of Snowman Poop"

LOL

Here's the intel driver page for it:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...esktop-boards/intel-desktop-board-dq35jo.html

Looks like it's good through Windows 7, but ends there.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
<opens box...>

"Oh man, it's full of Snowman Poop"

LOL

Here's the intel driver page for it:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...esktop-boards/intel-desktop-board-dq35jo.html

Looks like it's good through Windows 7, but ends there.

Bah, Win 10 runs fine on them. I have two trash old C2D Laptops on Win 10 right now and they usually boot faster then my 6th gen i5 lappy. A Jetta Jetbook 9722P (Bet most of you have never heard of them) and a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 vs my Thinkpad Edge E560.

Make sure it has 3gb or more of ram and it'll be fine.

I again caution people against this board. That chipset heatsink is prone to failure.

Bah, Win 10 runs fine on them. I have two trash old C2D Laptops on Win 10 right now and they usually boot faster then my 6th gen i5 lappy. A Jetta Jetbook 9722P (Bet most of you have never heard of them) and a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 vs my Thinkpad Edge E560.

Make sure it has 3gb or more of ram and it'll be fine.

I again caution people against this board. That chipset heatsink is prone to failure.

I was just posting what was on the official site. Excuse me.

Back