Cheap HW Raid 5 Controller Choices for Lefthand VSA

dasaint

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey All,

Wanted to see the consensus of what others have chosen for HW Raid 5 controllers, grant you i know i need a BBU (BBWC) whatever you want to call it via its brand.

I have 3 choices in mind right now (Running on Server grade HW with ECC)

What i am looking for is an option for HW Raid 5 to run on the card to create a single container, then take that container and use Lefthand VSA's to Network Raid 10 the configuration to the alternate site..

Drives i am working with are Hitachi 450GB 6Gb/s SAS 15K Drives i have 3 drives per node

I have already done the raid calculations and i estimate about 600 IOPS Total due to the HW5 Penalty and the NW Raid 10 Penalty. but right now with the JBOD setup i have it on right now its Latency is spiked and i cannot get it to go past 30ish MB/s on a DL and maxing out seems with about 170ish IOPS (1 Drives performance) with 3 Drives presented to the VSA (I Know HW Raid is recommended)

Lineup

HP P400 - with SATA/SAS Breakout Cable with BBWC 256MB Cache - ~$30ish /each
HP P410 - With 8087 Connector and BBWC 512MB Cache - ~130ish /each
LSI 8888ELP - With 8087 Connector and BBWC 256MB Cache - ~130ish /Each

Running ESXI 5.5 i want to present the card and drive raid set as a container to the VSA My Requirements are HW Raid 5, Cheap card, ESXi 5.5 Supported, Comes with BBU or BBWC basically to maximize the write cache. This wont last forever just a stopgap til vSAN hits its 2.0 maybe 3.0 phase

Looking to Maximize Throughput and IO to whatever the best of the cards capability is for Cheap and make Lefthand VSA work like a champ!

Suggestions are always appreciated!

Picked up 2x P400 with 512 Cache and BBWC for 28$ Each
Add 2 SFF 8484 to 4x SATA Ports for 14$ Each

Gonna look for a Add-On Heatsink for these guys to see if i can reduce the heat out of the main chip... although they are heatsink-less i know they run hot. A heat sink with directed fan on them should put them in check by my books..

Total 42$ Each For anyone who is interested

Last edited:
Back