Cheap home for SWTX is your ears can stand it!

BaBa

n00b
Just got five CSE-828TQ-R1200LPB from the bay of e.

They have dual 1200w psu's and take a H8QGL's without modification, two 8 pin power connections run 6180's fine while folding.

H8QG6 install is not optimal but works ok if not overclocking (one processor does not get full air flow)

They are now going for $99 each!

Big downside is NOISE.

Contact Grandpa_01 for how to setup these up. He has several of these folding in 4P configurations.

If you open up the front, run 1 HDD, 1 PSU, then replace the fans with cheap fans, it will drop the noise.

In a 2U, fan/heatsink will fit and be quiet. Passive heatsinks require powerful fans.

Technically they are 150 each with shipping.

Note.

Unless you are hurting for space, the Rosewill 4U case is built like a tank, will fit big CPU cooler, and is stone silent when folding. EEB fits.

They are like $69. Sure you don't get a PSU, but it accepts ATX PSU's. And it looks prettttttty.

Define big. A 212 won't fit in a 4u and allow you to put the top on it.

I'm wrong. Putting a 4P inside one those would be a ton of work. Sorry. Good case for 2P boards only.

Last edited:
Yes the 5 I have are for my use and I paid a lot more before he dropped the price:(

I just wanted to let you guys know they are available on ebay and that 4p G34 boards fit without issue.

Good lord. It is hard to find a 1200w 100A power supply for $99. It is worth it just for that.

Were you talking about the rosewill case or the supermicro case?

Rosewill. You'd have to put the PSU up front, or outside the case, then drill/tap standoffs.

All I did was see if a 16" wide mobo would physically fit, and it will. WITHOUT the ATX powersupply in the factory location.

It is really quiet though. You can't hear it runnning, but you can do that with any case that has active cooling on the CPU's and enough height.

My 1U quads sound like a jet taking off. I can't make them quiet.

So it turns out I ended up buying the last one of these. I'm really getting into trouble making offers on things that I really shouldn't be buying, but can't quite help myself.

Now that I've got this nice chassis on it's way to me that can fit just about anything in it, I'm struggling not to also make an offer on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130868378854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

...all the well knowing that if my wife ever got wind of what I've _already_ ended up with I'll be drawn and quartered...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yikes! Someone sneaked the H8QME-2...the same guy bought two of them! Hopefully it was someone on here! (Edit -- a google search turned up a post at the Evga forums where at least one of their users bought one of these..)

Anyway I've certainly lost my mind because I now have a H8QM3-2 and 4 CA-SNKP23P+ heatsinks for it coming from 1-800-4-memory... Now I just need to be on the lookout for some cheap Hex core socket F chips! =) (and it anyone else sees some let me know!)

Anyone know if you can put 2000 series chips in the H8QM3-2? Obviously just 1 or 2... Just wondering if I could get away with buying one of these super cheap chips to use as a bios upgrader.

Last edited:
If anyone needs 8000 chips for BIOS updates, I have a pair of quads sitting around doing nothing.

Just wondering if anyone else here bought one from this seller? Mine showed up this morning and mostly I was wondering what condition yours came in and what accessories ended up with it and which were missing.

So the great parts: It was shipped in a giant box that must have been the original supermicro box. It looks great and came with dual power supplies and also came with rails and the I/O backplate, which I wasn't expecting. However, it only came with 5 of the 6 drive sleds and no internal air shroud.

Obviously I only need the drive sled if I really want to put more than 5 drives in the thing, but how important is the air shroud? Obviously SuperMicro claims that it's essential, and logically it must help keep the processors cooler, but how many of you guys actually use it?

I have to say that I am sort-of glad that I broke down and ordered the 4P motherboard to go along with it, since all of the power connectors are obviously set up to work with those boards. =) If I'd tried to put my 2P socket 1366 board in there like I had originally planned to I would have needed to buy a couple power extension cables!

The air shroud is only important if you use passive heatsinks drive from the chassis fans. Dynatron A6 heatsinks are a good compliment to the delta fans the chassis comes with.

I did get a response back from the seller and apparently all the drive trays were supposed to be there, but the air shroud had long since disappeared, in that he thought that they had never run with it. I'll just have to see how my passive SuperMicro CA-SNKP23P+ do in it then!

I do have at least one K8 bracket from a dead motherboard and an ancient Athlon64 quad heatpipe heatsink laying around that I could swap out on a CPU...not to mention way too many extra fans of various sizes that could be strategically mounted if need be. Unfortunately it won't be until next week until the rest of the parts show up. =(

EDIT: I should note that the seller immediately agreed to ship out the missing tray, if anyone else is looking at getting one and was wondering.

Last edited:
The three that I have opened all came with 6 drive trays but no shroud.
I ran them with passive heat sinks 6176 6176SE and 6180's at stock, while loud temps remained under control (here in the UK).
Also ran one with CLS0017's, temps are lower and much less noise:cool:.

I wonder how this case would do with a quad E5-4650 setup. How much power does one of those rigs pull compared to the quad G34? Is 1200W with 2 8-pin sufficient?

I wonder how this case would do with a quad E5-4650 setup. How much power does one of those rigs pull compared to the quad G34? Is 1200W with 2 8-pin sufficient?

4p E5-4650 pulls 750w max. A lot more efficient than AMD. The Intel boards do have 4xEPS plugs though, don't know if all are needed (I use all 4). The boards are also bigger than AMD 4p boards.

Yay! My starter CPUs (*) came yesterday and the board with heatsinks came today! The memory is still in transit, but thanks to my trusty old Dell PERC 5/i, I actually had a single 256MB PC2-3200R DIMM that I could put in it to see if it worked. The BIOS is now updated and ready for hex core goodness when some cheap ones come down the pike.

Steve

* 8379 HE's -- basically the cheapest `fast' HT quads I could find ($12 each). Yes, I realize that it's basically money out the window, but I also just put together a dual socket 1366 system that I put some L5520's in and I'm interested in seeing how a 2.4GHz 16 core system does against a 2.4Ghz (with turbo) 8(16 with HT)-core system. So far the dual L5520 system seems slower than the i7 970 that I just sold though, and slightly faster than the dual 3GHz socket 771 system I've got.

Edit: I just noticed that according to cpu-world, the L5520 was introduced March 30th, 2009 @$530 and the 8379 HE was April 22nd 2009 @$1165!

price difference is the 8379 is an 8-socket chip whereas the 5520 is a 2-socket chip...

tempted by those $99 cases, could stick 12 of my 750s into them

Well, without said shroud, according to tpc CPU3 gets about 10+ points (degrees C?) hotter than the other chips. =( Flat out folding it was hitting 50, while the other cores were at 38 max.

2U enclosures are certainly not what I'm used to, because my plan to add some fans into the system was stymied by the fact that nothing bigger than a ~60mm fan would fit! While I'm an incorrigible packrat, apparently I'd given away all but one of my 60mm fans (which I had from back in the Socket 370 days!). =( But at least I had one left from parting out an old Mac G4 and was able to attach it to the front of CPU3's passive heatsink and now it's maxing out at 38-39:

steve@quattro:~$ sudo tpc -temp
[sudo] password for steve:
TurionPowerControl 0.44-rc2 (export)
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard

Detected processor: Family 10h Processor
Machine has 4 nodes
Processor has 4 cores
Processor has 5 p-states
Processor has 0 boost states
Processor temperature slew rate:slewing disabled

Temperature table:
Node 0 C0:32 C1:32 C2:32 C3:32
Node 1 C0:26 C1:26 C2:26 C3:26
Node 2 C0:38 C1:38 C2:38 C3:38
Node 3 C0:33 C1:33 C2:33 C3:33

Done.

If a 1U supermicro quad CPU case can keep 4 "hot" chips (SE) under control easily, there should be no issues but sound with a 2U. Watts are Watts. Is there any mobo by itself that draws over 750w?

Wow. They came today. :eek:

VERY nice. Look new, comes with hotswap HDD bays, SATA backplane, DVD, USB up front and in back. Comport up front and back, rack slide mounts.

Bargain of the year. H8QM3-2 drops right in.

Hmmm... Having HDD problems.

The BIOS is seeing the drive but Linux does not.

I plugged into the SATA0 slot.

Note: An ADATA SSD adapter tray is .062" off in both L/R and height, too high, and not far enough right, which stops it from being installed in a hotswap tray. There is no easy fix since the tray is plastic. You could trim the alignment ribs, and oval out the holes, but the height still won't be there.

What you need is something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-MCP-220-00043-0N-2-5-HARD-DRIVE-HDD-TRAY-/330884198523

I'm not sure why they don't just sell the bracket by itself though, since they're identical to the normal tray, just with the plastic bin replaced with a metal adapter.

Edit: I'm really kicking myself for not ordering two of these cases! If only as a source of replacement parts! Heck, the cheapest I've found the power supplies is over $60 each! and that's not counting the fans, hot swap trays, SAS backplane, power distribution board, etc...

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back