cheap/good 5.1 reciever/speaker package that sends both audio and video through HDMI?

What's your budget for this?

I've been a fan of Onkyo receivers and Polk audio speakers for a number of years.
Very good bang for the buck.

NewEgg still has their Energy Take 5 pack speakers on sale for 149.00 (although I have seen them a little cheaper at other sites) I just bought these for my den room paired with a Polk PSW110 sub (Bestbuy had a great deal on this sub for 125.00 up to a couple of days ago).

I also just bought an Onkyo HT160 receiver from the Egg (unfortunately they went back up to 345.00 since then). This model has most of the features of the Onkyo 607 for less money. Been very happy with it so far.

Those Energy Speakers really look and sound good for the price.

BTW: That Onkyo is one of the few receivers in that price range that support Dolby Pro Logic IIz. Some interesting articles on that technology.

I think the Egg still has the Polk PSW10 on sale for 99.00. Not a bad little sub for that price.

I think HDMI just sends video, not audio. you may need to send the audio through digital coax or fiber.

HDMI passes both audio and video.
In addition, that receiver supports the new lossless audio formats such as DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.

Are you looking at buying a bluray player as well? I just ordered a Panasonic DMP-BD60K from BB for 119.00. Has some good reviews and hard to beat that price.

Just don't buy your HDMI cables locally. They are WAY overpriced at places like Best Buy, Target, etc. Buy them online at places like monoprice.com or mycablemart.com.

Last edited:
i have 3 blu-ray players . one in laptop one in pc and ps3. i shoud have said im not looking at more than 400 total. im not really bothered by just average sound quality just want surround and better than built in tv speaker subwoofer.

im new at sound stuff. thanks.

Pioneer VSX-519V-K is the ONLY receiver under $180 that has an HDMI Repeater this means it will take HDMI audio from your video card, PS3 and what not i got it and it fucking pwns

Last edited:
Back