Cheap gaming monitor

Omegas

[H]F Junkie
If image quality is not a concern and 1080p is acceptable, what's the king of cheap gaming monitors with very low latency and better then 60hz refresh? G-Sync and Freesync are fine but not necessary. Also, time is not an issue so waiting for a deal or availability is fine. Suggestions?

Last edited:
These are fantastic. Almost as fast as the CRT that I had to replace last year, and no overshoot.

Amazon.com: ASUS VX238H 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories

You can bump the refresh rate to 74 Hz with a custom resolution defined using CVT-R (reduced blanking) mode. This just runs the timing faster than a CRT can handle, but still within DVI bandwidth spec for an LCD. Most modern "60Hz" LCDs can handle this 74Hz rate.

But if you want 144 Hz it's more expensive. Still the same 1ms panel, but now officially supports 144 Hz refresh rate.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nixeus NX-VUE24B Black 24" 1ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

24", 1080p, TN panel (so 1ms advertised response), 144hz, and comes with FreeSync for $235. Normally closer to $275, so jump on it when you can if you want it. It's one of the more highly regarded entry level Adaptive Sync monitors.

Want to save more cash and get a decent deal? Same specs minus FreeSync for $170:

Acer GN246HL Black 24" Gaming Monitors , 144 Hzs 1ms (GTG), LED Backlight LCD Monitor provide immersive 3D image-Newegg.com

The reason I didn't link that is because you're buying a dead-end which may become difficult to run in the near future. AMD has already abandoned Dual-Link DVI on the Fury X, and Nvidia will likely do the same after Pascal. It's an added annoyance, especially if you ever want to run triple monitors.

On that Acer you can only get 144 Hz working from the Dual-Link DVI port, and those are out the way out right now. The Asus 144Hz I linked features a DisplayPort input, AND dual-link DVI.

But, that is a fantastically low price that I would still consider painting myself into a corner over :D

Last edited:
You can use a GPU's HDMI out with a $2-$3 adapter for dual-link DVI. I wouldn't be too concerned about that. HDMI on GPUs is here to stay.

Multiple monitors would be a concern though. I believe the adapters from DP to DL DVI are more expensive, but haven't looked into it. I occasionally used an HDMI to DL DVI adapter. Paid $1.99 for mine.

Actually, I've been searching the many reviews for HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters, and none of them seem to have "reliably working" reviews. These are still complaints that the adapters don't support above 1080p even in 2016, so it can't be a case of "HDMI connector doesn't have the bandwidth." These are almost certainly HDMI 1.4 4k 24hz capable.

So yes, please show me a review for a reliable passive HDMI to dual-link DVI adapter.

UPDATE: It seems that the conversion between multiple links of HDMI and DVI is not compatible. HDMI is only compatible with single-link DVI mode:

HDMI to DVI-D 2560x1600 adapter?

You won't be able to get 2560x1600 over a passive HDMI to single link DVI cable/adapter, it's just not possible. Single link DVI only supports up to a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, to get 2560x1600 requires a dual link DVI. The problem then arises that using a HDMI to Dual link DVI passive solution only transmits the HDMI singal down one link of the DVI cable and not both - end result being still stuck at lower resolution than required.

The only real way that I know of for getting 2560x1600 would require an active solution and unfortunately, no one seem to make an active HDMI to Dual Link DVI adapter - plenty of DisplayPort to Dual link DVI's but not going from HDMI.

It seems that to get 2560x1600 over HDMI requires both source and input to have a minimum HDMI spec of 1.4 and the cable needs to be a high speed HDMI cable too, otherwise there is not enough bandwidth to carry the signal.

Again, trying to find equipment that is indeed capable of outputting and receiving a full HDMI 1.4 signal is a tricky thing to do.

There's a million other forums that say the same:

Help Is there a 1440p HDMI to DVI-D cable available?

HDMI runs the same three links at twice the speed to hit 1080p @ 144. DVI runs six links at the same speed as single-link to get that bandwidth. So beyond single-link 1080p resolutions they're not compatible,.

So yeah, you're still going to need a pokey 80 dollar DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter. Still thinking that Acer is a good deal?

Last edited:
Yes I stayed with the 24" since I already have a 32" 2560x1440 and an ultra wide 34" 3440x1440 on my other rigs.

Back