cheap environmental monitoring for IDF's

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for a device that has the following features.

RJ45 plug in to a PoE enabled switch and it will automatically power up.
it will get an IP address via DHCP (and ideally has a little web server built into it but this is optional)
can be monitored with SNMP (required)
monitors temperature (humidity optional)
Cheap since I need about 500 of them.

Does a device like this exist? Something that can monitor temperature and can get power via PoE and can plug into any normal switch without having to go into a special monitoring switch or attach to another device like a UPS?

cyr0n_k0r, the devices from serverscheck have next to SNMP also XML and a free cloud platform for monitoring, reporting & alerting. snmp is v1, v2 or v3

unlike the 2 others, the serverscheck device is a base unit to which you can add sensors in the future. so if you want to add humidity or any other sensor at some stage, then you can.

the temp sensor can also be calibrated from within the device. over time sensors can lose their accuracy due to environmental conditions. by having that feature you can simply recalibrate them without having to purchase a new one.

last but not least, for your quantity you should be able to get a nice discount.

I agree. I'm looking very closely at the device from serverscheck.
They also integrate with Solarwinds which is awesome. I think I'm going to get 1 or 2 of their devices into the office for testing.

Have used AKCP in the data center. Similar to serverchecks. Water sensor is useful if you have Liebert AC units that sometime spring a leak.

http://www.akcp.com

Last edited:
We used avtech before buying our new eaton and liebert gear. now we just use the sensors that came with those units.

Back