Cheap dell Gb switches (ends 10/20/04)

cheap even by dell's standards. That 8 port switch is so cheap that it almost pays to keep it around for redundancy.

dam yo, I'm still runnning a 10/100 network... maybe it's time to upgrade. I've got 3 compys with gigabit ethernet cards on the mobos too. hmmm.
to go 8 port or 16 port though?

Question:
10/100BaseT Ports:None
Auto-Negotiation: Speed, duplex mode and flow control
Will I be able to hook up my 10/100 devices to this as well?

Are these rack mountable? I could make a bracket if I needed to, but I don't want to have to mod the case itself. I'm looking into the 16 or the 24... I currently have a baystack 350t-24hd.

Edit:
yes they are. sweet!

these managable? They got fans in them? I think I found a replacement for mt ss2:p

Wow, incredible deal.

I just paid like ~$110US for a Netgear 8-port, which uses the exact same marvell gigabit chipset inside.

Too bad the deal hasn't come to Canada yet... But as soon as it does I'm getting one of each (I'm assuming the rebate is one per household/business?)

Archer75 said:
These any good to use for LAN parties?
YES, nothing better than sharing files (legally ofcourse :rolleyes: ) on a gigabit lan. Gigabit lan parties own, if you can afford it, it is definitely the way to go.

They are rack mountable but are not manageable. I picked up a 16port once the rebates became active and it arrived within 3 days of ordering. I will be hooking it up this week so I will let ya know.

What kinda XFR speeds have peeps been seeing from their gigabit LANs? Granted you're using CSA interface gigabit controllers & RAID storage devices.
No more killer long transfers @ the LAN party! w00t w00t

Best as I can tell, this is the rebate form.

PDF
http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/bsd/bsd_rebate_form.pdf

Word
http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/bsd/bsd_rebate_form.doc

The form says
If you have not received your rebate check after 10 weeks, you may go to dell.rebatestatus.com, or call 1-866-842-3616. Additional copies of this form are available at www.dell.com/smallbizrebates

I'm going to call the number in the morning to verify that this is the rebate I should be mailing. I'll reply here with confirmation.

musicman_ace said:
Best as I can tell, this is the rebate form.

PDF
http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/bsd/bsd_rebate_form.pdf

Word
http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/bsd/bsd_rebate_form.doc

The form says
If you have not received your rebate check after 10 weeks, you may go to dell.rebatestatus.com, or call 1-866-842-3616. Additional copies of this form are available at www.dell.com/smallbizrebates

I'm going to call the number in the morning to verify that this is the rebate I should be mailing. I'll reply here with confirmation.

that's not the rebate form. that's for systems/services NOT for peripherals (i.e. switches, ipods)

the rebates dont exist on their site. i'm on the phone w/ a lady right now shes been looking for it for like 20 minutes (I've been waiting on hold.. she keeps comin back apologizing for the wait and saying shes still looking) :rolleyes:

Update: Sweet! She just told me that $25 has been credited to my MasterCard (that was the amount of the rebate) because her manager could not locate the rebate either. Schwing. From my past experience DELL doesn't give a $hit about their home customers but when it comes to small business I guess they actually try to satisfy you.

I was on the phone with some tard from DELL Small business at first, until he gave me another number w/ an extension for Small Business Online Order Customer Care - Here it is: 800-456-3355 ext. 68938

A friend ordered the 24 porter for our LANs. He reported back that the Dell switch is faster than his 8 port linksys GigE switch. (computer to computer file transfers)

gerbs said:
Update: Sweet! She just told me that $25 has been credited to my MasterCard (that was the amount of the rebate) because her manager could not locate the rebate either.

uh....the dell site says it's a $50 dollar mail-in rebate, you might want to call back for the other $25. The site does have the rebate forms up now it looks like, a link right under the price saying rebate forms.

is the "SFP" port or whatever for the fiber on the 2624 a regular MiniGBIC? i dont want to pay $169 for a fricken fiber port and then they only have LX? wtf?

o well good deal anyway

HereticX said:
uh....the dell site says it's a $50 dollar mail-in rebate, you might want to call back for the other $25. The site does have the rebate forms up now it looks like, a link right under the price saying rebate forms.

The switch i ordered was eligible for a $25 MIR, bringing the price down to $24 AR.

Powerconnect 2216.

Does the Dell PowerConnect 2616 support Jumbo Frames? I can't find any information that say's it does?

No, it doesn't support jumbo frames.

The are based on the "cheap" Marvell chipsets

http://www.marvell.com/products/switching/presteradx/DX81.jsp

http://www.marvell.com/products/switching/presteradx/DX161.jsp

http://www.marvell.com/products/switching/presteradx/98DX241.jsp

Marvell makes jumbo frame packet capable switch chips too, but they cost more (DX 250,260 and 270 models)

I know this because I have a GS608 Netgear 8-port, which is based on the same chipset and does not support jumbo frames. Jumbo frames are a little overrated, unless you have a 2+ disk Raid setup as is now, you will never get to see the better throughput of jumbo frames.

Well the idiot I talked to said that the rebate form I posted is the correct one.
The packing slip tells your rebate amount and the form is their way of re-using a generic form over and over.

I'll find out once I've mail mine in and either gotten and ok or shot down. I'll be super-pissed if they are bull-shitting me since the other guy got credited at least the $25.

Mail- In Rebate

None
$50 Mail-In Rebate

I was able to choose the rebate (16 port switch) during checkout... does this mean it'll be shipped with the product?

Fiber Media Support 1 SFP fiber slot (combo with 1000BaseT)

also... what's the deal with the fiber? Is that going to be obsolete by the time one of these home fiber services come into play? Is this something worth investing in.. being a home user type.... I really don't expect verizon to get fiber into my neighborhood in the near future.

Musicace I was told the same thing today while on the phone with Dell. The packing slip does have some information about the rebate and my fiance sent it off today so hopefully it will come back with a check instead of a denial.

I picked up the 16-port model. The next LAN party is goona be a leachers heaven! w00t!

edit:
If you check the fine print.. you have to print out a blank rebate info form from Dell's site... then the actual $50 MIR will be included with the packing slip outside the box. throw all of that crap in an envelope and ship i off. then pray

picked up a 8-port model to use @ small LAN's and to x-fer files on my home network ^_^

fore1337 said:
I picked up the 16-port model. The next LAN party is goona be a leachers heaven! w00t!

edit:
If you check the fine print.. you have to print out a blank rebate info form from Dell's site... then the actual $50 MIR will be included with the packing slip outside the box. throw all of that crap in an envelope and ship i off. then pray

I picked up one of the 16 port gig switches about a month ago, and use it as the central node for our network - and it does a fine fine job.

Got around to moving most of my network over to an 8port version... found the switch has a bad port on it :mad:
Guess have to rma it, don't see an easy way through their website, guess have to give them a call.

im n00b when it comes to gigabit.
do you have to upgrade from 100mbit cat 5 cables?
i assume these switches have an uplink port so you plug it into your cable modem?

cat5 cable will easily handle the gigabit speeds of this switch, and in a switch, all the ports should be auto-sensing, so you can plug your cable modem into any of the ports

Steel Chicken said:
im n00b when it comes to gigabit.
do you have to upgrade from 100mbit cat 5 cables?
i assume these switches have an uplink port so you plug it into your cable modem?

I think your looking for a router. If you plug that cable modem in, you'll be charged for every IP issued by the cable company. You want a router to NAT for you so you don't get that charge.

I could be wrong, but make sure you know what your getting.

I've used the 16 port version for the last 8 months or so, works very well with excellent transfer speeds (30+MB/s). Even did gigabit over a 100' length of cat5!

Anyone know where the rebate is or could provide me with the rebate form? I was unable to find it on the site.
Thanks.

You have to download the generic rebate form fill it out and send in the packing slip which containts the other information. This was already discussed earlier in the thread.

musicman_ace said:
I think your looking for a router. If you plug that cable modem in, you'll be charged for every IP issued by the cable company. You want a router to NAT for you so you don't get that charge.

I could be wrong, but make sure you know what your getting.

i miscommunicated, i already have a cable modem sharing router
i would plug in like this cable modem ---> linksys router --> gigabit switch --> multiple pc's

my main concern was the uplink capabilities from switch to router, and that my 5+ year old Cat5 would still work

Back