Cheap, compact watercooling for a good ol' Athlon XP

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a quiet, compact, and cheap form of watercooling to keep this rig running until its time to upgrade the whole package.

..my crappy "blower" style air cooling was a novelty when it came out, but it is starting to get tiresome with its loud noise when I am trying to spend an evening with my girlfriend and don't want her to know I have an old, overclocked monster in the corner waiting for my affections once she leaves.

Relevent specs:

AthlonXP 2500+ overclocked to 2.2 Ghz (3200+)

Currently, I am looking at this:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/super_cooling/kingwin/arcticliquidcooler/index.htm

I have seen it on sale for as low as $89 at Newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835124005

Does anyone have any better recommendations for an All-in-one, non-obtrusive, quiet unit like this that can fit in the case?

Please let me know, thanks!

EDIT: I am not planning on overclocking any higher than 2.2 Ghz on about 1.75 volts (necessary for my chip I'm afraid)...nothing insane, I just need this damned thing quieter...

if you want silence and cheap, for a rig you will soon upgrade, i'd go with an upgraded HSF like a zalman.

otherwise, hit the forums and come up with used WC parts.

or as a last resort, get a TT big water for about $20 more then that kingwin crap for alot better cooling ....

or save up to get a decent kit, either water chill or swiftech or danger den.....

Who says a TT Bigwater would give better cooling? They're both entry level kits. If you're going with the Kingwin kit, I would suggest searching on ebay for 'wc-202'. That is the kingwin kit but with a stronger pump. While you're at it, apply the coupon code: C-MAR2006ANNIV to get 10% your ebay purchase...

I highly recommend AGAINST kits.

DTek Whitewater: $30 (dtekcustoms.com)
Hydor L25: $30 (marinedepot)
120mm heatercore: $20 (local autoparts)
T-Line: $1 for the fitting
Tubing: $5 (home depot, for the win)

$86. Not bad.

Eh a few nit picky things about your pricelist.

-Shipping isn't free
-T-Lines aren't $1
-Heatercores need fans
-Heatercores need shrouds
-Heatercores need barbs (if you're buying from an autoshop)
-Clamps (be they hose/plastic/qc's etc)
-Arctic Silver
-Coolant

G-Cooler... $59.99, Aquagate mini $89.99, Thermaltake Silent Water All in one $109.99 no hassles...

Dark Prodigy said:
G-Cooler... $59.99, Aquagate mini $89.99, Thermaltake Silent Water All in one $109.99 no hassles...
Links?

I can't seem to find this G-cooler thing anywhere...is it a real product?

Add $6 for clamps and $15 to get a BIP or something like that and a few bucks for a fan. You're still just barely over $100, and you've got a very competent cooling system.

Back