Cheap but solid recommendations to go with my GTX280

Snooble

Gawd
Howdy all,

I actually posted a post very similar to this in the AMD forums, but hell, why not post it here too and see what fish nibble ;D

Xmas time is rolling around again and Im hoping to beg the wife into letting me do an upgrade. Essentially I have the video card already (GeForce GTX280), case, PSU and all that, so all I need is a solid, lower priced recommendation for a motherboard, cpu and ram combo. I don't do SLI/Crossfire as I don't have the cash to spend on a second video card, and I don't really need any other fancy gizmos or gadgets.

Basically all I want is a gaming PC and to not spend top dollar on it and put myself in the hole too far. I heard AMD is good for gaming, but I don't want to dismiss the Intel route as of yet since although it's more expensive they are also amazing performing cpu's.

I need a CPU, Motherboard and memory, nothing else, and I want to stay around or below $400 as much as I can. I'm also Canadian so prices here are a twinkle higher so I noticed.

the p55/i5 combo seems to be an excellent performer. you might wanna look at one of those, or even the c2quads, they still give awesome numbers

Not sure you can do MB, RAM, and CPU for an i5 for $400 Canadian, but its the combo I would try to go for. The problem with C2Q's for me would be at this point the CPU's aren't that much cheaper than an i5 and there isn't much room left to upgrade with Core 2's.

Thanks for the input guys, I've been looking and yeah, if I get lucky and get some used stuffs I can get it for around $400ish.

What ram would you recommend?

Back