Cheap but good gaming subwoofer?

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking at a Polk Audio sub for roughly $110 here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MC-IGNEFL010609-_-HomeAudio-_-LE3B-_-82290034

With Promo Code EMCABAGAH it's $110

This is strictly for gaming and the price is right but...is the sub right? I'm not hip on subs less than 10" and this will most likely never be used for serious home audio, just for gaming and it will be hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR-506. If there are objections to this sub can you please post reasons and/or a better solution for a competitive price? Thanks.

Nice but the cost just jumped up $50 with the difference in cost plus shipping. :(

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as a "gaming subwoofer". Another vote for the Dayton subs from PE, very nice quality.

LOL Then you missed my point. It will only be used in my home office and doesn't need to boom out a larger room or be loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

For that I'll be buying a Hsu sub for the home theater in the basement. :)

I know, but a more accurate description would be you where looking for a "small" subwoofer. :p If you can find a nice 10-12" powered woofer in your price range then go for it.

LOL Thanks. ;)
I don't mind spending the extra cash but I'd really rather not if I don't have to. If the Polk Audio is only marginally lesser than the Dayton then it's worth it to not spend the extra $50. But if the extra cash can be justified then I'll go for it.

Polk isn't by any means a bad company. In fact I have used some bookshelf speakers of theirs that I was quite fond of. After looking at it a bit more, I would say the Polk is a great deal.

I've always heard they make great speakers but aren't great at subs. I have a pair of RT800i speakers that are my LT/RT speakers in my home theater setup. I'm figuring for the money you can't beat that price/performace for what I'm looking to do with it.

A pair of Klipsch KW-120-THX powered by a KS-1000 amp ;)

Now for a computer.....

audiogon and buy a used sub. Don't matter what it is as it really does not need to be musical for computer games ;)

The 8" Energy sub at Audio Advisor. Nothing else comes close for the price. It was a $300 sub previously and is now $88 + shipping.

Polk subs are not terrible but the low end ones are not on Daytons or Bics level at all.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENESW8

I know this is supposed to be for a small project but I really have reservations about an 8" sub. Does it really stack up?

I think you've answered your own question. You have reservations so you'll never be happy unless you step up, say to the 10 or 12" Daytons already suggested.

I think you've answered your own question. You have reservations so you'll never be happy unless you step up, say to the 10 or 12" Daytons already suggested.

Incorrect. With the proper technology in place a smaller machine can put out better quality than a larger one. I have little to no real experience with subs which is why I am deferring to this forum for answers. I find it interesting that this $300 sub now sells for $88 and begs the question as to why it hasn't sold. Is it because of the perception of the 8" not being as robust as necessary or is it because it really doesn't stack up and hasn't sold for a valid reason? I'm willing to spend the extra cash for quality. I really don't want to shortchange myself for the sake of even $50 but I want to make sure it's worth the extra expense.

yeah i wouldnt dismiss it on size alone.i cant speak about that specific sub because ive never heard it.i can say an 8 inch velodyne minivee is a mini beast.

yeah i wouldnt dismiss it on size alone.i cant speak about that specific sub because ive never heard it.i can say an 8 inch velodyne minivee is a mini beast.

And from Velodyne I'd expect no less. But I know nothing about this 8" Energy, it has one review on that site and he indicates it's good but there's room for improvement.

+1 for that Energy sub. It's a little powerhouse and a outright steal at that price. Still, I think the 10" Dayton would be your best bet for the limited uses you've described.

Sigh. Really. When I say something is a good deal, it is a good deal. This is the internet true but I have never had anyone tell me I was wrong with my suggestions if they took them. Quite the opposite. An 8" driver can deliver plenty of bass if enclosed properly. I can assure you that I have forgotten more about audio than most people will ever know. Why? It appears I have an obsession lol.

Anyway, want another obscure but excellent suggestion?

$139 shipped on the for sale tab on the main page. I have the 12" older version of this sub and have never been anything but happy with it.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/AURALECSTASY.html

Incorrect. With the proper technology in place a smaller machine can put out better quality than a larger one. I have little to no real experience with subs which is why I am deferring to this forum for answers. I find it interesting that this $300 sub now sells for $88 and begs the question as to why it hasn't sold. Is it because of the perception of the 8" not being as robust as necessary or is it because it really doesn't stack up and hasn't sold for a valid reason? I'm willing to spend the extra cash for quality. I really don't want to shortchange myself for the sake of even $50 but I want to make sure it's worth the extra expense.

Sorry folks,

regarldess of who makes it, those subs still are confined to the laws of physics. To get displacement which is relative to volume, you either need lots of throw or lots of surface area. 8 inch, no matter how much you try, will not get too loud within those mini-boxes. At least not very musically anyway.

Cambridge Soundworks Clearance Outlet...
http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?category=clr_subwoofer&item=53CW0140AA001
Reg $249
now $99 free shipping
Newton Series II BassCube 85 Powered Subwoofer
Product Description

Our new BassCube® 85 subwoofer features a downward-firing 8-inch driver, built-in 50 watt amplifier and a Newton Series® II cabinet design.

The Cambridge SoundWorks BassCube 85 reproduces bass accurately (and loudly) down to 39Hz. Perfect for an apartment, the BassCube 85 delivers great bang for your buck. In a larger room or with a fairly powerful system, one of our larger powered subwoofers would be a better choice.

Features:

Bass level control
Electronic crossover frequency selector (which can be set as low as 55Hz and as high as 200Hz) to match the subwoofer to your speakers
Auto-on/auto-off switch - will shut off when not in use, and automatically turn on when music is played
Line input and speaker-level inputs so it can be connected to any receiver or amplifier
2 year manufacturer's parts and labor warranty
Color: Midnight Black satin finish

8" is fine if you're not in a huge room. More so if it's for gaming, meaning it will often be very close to you and you aren't concerned with multiple listeners. Sure, you could get better - but probably not without paying quite a bit more. And larger would give you more power - but you don't need it in that scenario. Therefore the Energy sub is very good for your build as you've described it.

I can assure you that I have forgotten more about audio than most people will ever know.

See, this is why we write things down. :D

Spaceman, you have used that line in at least one other thread... :D

Sorry folks,

regarldess of who makes it, those subs still are confined to the laws of physics. To get displacement which is relative to volume, you either need lots of throw or lots of surface area. 8 inch, no matter how much you try, will not get too loud within those mini-boxes. At least not very musically anyway.

It is for a friggin DESKTOP system. Jeez man. What are we trying to do? The Energy goes to 33hz and I will bet that it is more like 30 hz usable in this config.

Cross it at 80hz and it will provide a solid foundation for 99% of the sound. You will get better tonality and speed aka musicality with this sub than a cheap dayton or bic. Anything below 30hz is arty, trains, earthquakes etc. If you want to really piss off everyone in the office then go bigger.

Be practical. Use your imagination and try to envision what will work best in a given situation not just HT at home in a separated brick house that your 8 sub infinite baffle config that flexs the walls like Arnold in 1973.

Back