Cheap air cooler for 5820k oc

chiu

Limp Gawd
Do you think Cooler Master Hyper 212x is good enough for overclocking 5820k? It is cheap in my country.

Alternatively, can someone suggest another cheap heatsink for 5820k?

Chiu

Hyper 212 might struggle with the high heat of a 5820k OC, but with good air flow it could be enough to keep the processor at a reasonable temp

I have no idea what the prices in your country are, but here are some decent Air coolers

Any of the large Noctua heatsinks will work, even the NH-U12S does an okay job at modest overclocks
DeepCool assassin 2 is decent as well

I agree it comes down to airflow, and by extension, your tolerance to noise. The cooler comes stock with a single mediocre (but quiet) fan. There are much more powerful fans available, and even better would be also adding a 2nd fan to the other side of the heatsink, running both fans in a push-pull configuration.

I'm currently running a 212 Plus, which is the same design but older with less improvements. I'm currently using it to cool my 2500k @ 5Ghz which is just a quad but takes 1.48v to OC that high and puts out a shit-ton of heat as a result. It gets the job done, albeit running in push-pull.

I'm confident that a 212X or 212 Evo would work with your 5820k, but it might limit your overall overclocking headroom. The louder the fans that you are willing to run, preferably two of them in push-pull, the less of an issue this should be.

Without knowing prices of coolers where you are makes it very hard to know what to suggest.

Also, without knowing what your case's CPU clearance is .. or center CPU toward PCIE and RAM socket distances are as well as how tall your RAM is means even if it would fit in case it may not clear other components.

212 used to be a great little cooler for it's price, but there are many out there now that are as good or better at similar or less cost.

Lots of people do push/pull fans, but a single good fan makes way more difference than going push/pull. A single good fan will give 4-8c better temps then a cheap fan, while running 2x good fans only lowers temps a couple of degrees,l.

That said, at lower rpm the difference is greater but it only means 50-100rpm higher speed to solve .. which is almost always lower noise level than running 2x fans 50-100rpm less fo rsame temps.

Back