Cheap 4GB DDR3 - where to get?

meltri

n00b
I need 6 x 4GB of memory. Where is the best and cheaper way to buy?
Or should I just upgrade my mobo(6 slots) with to have 12 DDR3 slots. My CPU is Core i7 920 D0
You know, 2GB per piece is cheaper.

You won't find a desktop board with 12 DDR3 slots. IIRC the absoloute maximum number of slots on a DDR3 channel is three and i've never seen a desktop board with more than two per channel (putting three per channel also limits you to 800 speeds). With the triple channel ram on an i7 9xx that means you get 6 slots.

If you see a LGA1366 board with more than six slots it's almost certainly a dual-socket server/workstation board and will need both sockets filling with appropriate xeons to use all that memory.

24GB DDR3 1333 (3 x (2 x 4GB)) for $480 shipped

It's what I have and it works great. Been running it slightly overclocked too (Around 1410MHz). Hell it's even $100 less than when I bought it two months ago.

I wasn't keeping track or anything, but at some point, high density memory modules seemed to take a nose dive in price.

Here's a decent deal on some Mushkin:

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 998770

$519.98 (free shipping) with a rebate. $40.00 MIR on each tri channel kit, which gets it down to $439.98. Mushkin rebates take some time, but they do honor them.

Mushkin is solid memory. I've got it in my i7 workstation at the office and in my main system at home. Got to admit, the GSkill looks pretty good, too if you don't want to deal with the rebate paperwork.

Take your time to look around on different forum to see if theres a good deal.

Hm, that would be a nice deal, but the T&C on the rebate form says "Only one rebate per qualifying purchase and limit one rebate per household.". I won't pretend to be an expert on fine print semantics, but only getting one $40 rebate would put it at the same price as the GSkill
Agreed.....I did indeed miss the "one rebate per household" term of the rebate.

Still....Mushkin is pretty good stuff. Even with one rebate it's not a bad deal, IMHO...

Back