Chat while browsing Hardforums! my project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles

Limp Gawd
Ok, I know it's a little buggy, but check this out. It's a little project of mine and I was hoping for some feedback.

Go here

http://www.syzyx.com/experimental/index.php

Type in any username you want when it asks, then click on the 'Chat' button in the top left.

no downloads necessary, all this is done in javascript!

LMK what you think! (I probably won't end up using this for forum sites in the future, but I browse hardforum a lot, so I figured I'd use you folks as guinea pigs)

Thanks,

-Charles

**edit

Okay, a couple people have been asking.

1. it works best in IE
2. you can close the chatbox by clicking on 'chat' again. It will blink if anybody says anything
3. use /me whatever like the IRC command.
4. I posted this in the gaming section because the people who browse this area seem cooler in general

**edit2

alright, tons of people are asking me how to get this implemented on another site.

if you're really interested in something like that, e-mail [email protected] for more info

Its pretty cool I gotta say, nice work on it.
*btw, dunno if this is the right forum for it* otherwise pretty cool stuff

...need sleep now :p

the chat roxOrz. just add the smiley things like AIm has it and make links posted in the window "clickable"

bump

and sticky this :p

No moderation. First line I see when I joined was
Kyle Bennet saying he goes by cockmaster :rolleyes:

hahahaha. that was funny. the names have to linked to the person and be able to change the color of your font.

Charles said:
Thanks, lmk if there are any bugs

I found a bug/oops forgot to implement, no way to PM anyone and you should set up a place for everyone to register there names :)
The chat rocks man...you should show it to "the kyle", I bet he would like it.

MeanieMan said:
No moderation. First line I see when I joined was
Kyle Bennet saying he goes by cockmaster :rolleyes:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Its a test chat server theres no mods hehe

Hey folks, thanks for the comments.

So here are the stats. Since I posted this last night, 63 different folks have tried it out, 10389 lines of chat have been exchanged, and max number of users on at any one time was 11.

Thanks for helping me run this test. A lot of people have asked me if I've shown this to Kyle, but I haven't and I'm not sure if he'd be much interestedin this.

Needless to say, I'm going to leave the chat portal up for another 48 hours, collect more stats on server load, and then shut it down for the time being.

If you like it, comment about it. Suggestions will most likely be implemented within the next week or two depending on how difficult it is to do so.

its looks great!

def. show this to kyle...and ask him to impliment it into the forums / all other [H]ard sites....

:edit:
special chars like "+" not displaying on the other persons end need to be fixed, as well as in peoples names

and eventually id like to see this mature to a point where we couldbrowse any website and not have the chat bar dissapear

I think in the next version we'll implement vote-based banning:p

But yeah, I'll show this to Kyle and ask him what he thinks.

Charles said:
I think in the next version we'll implement vote-based banning:p

But yeah, I'll show this to Kyle and ask him what he thinks.

Kyle has displayed a very high level of distaste for IRC + forum connections.
Although I can see this being very cool and useful for Moderators only or something like that.

Putting one in the for sale/for trade section was genius.

MeanieMan said:
Kyle has displayed a very high level of distaste for IRC + forum connections.
Although I can see this being very cool and useful for Moderators only or something like that.

Putting one in the for sale/for trade section was genius.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It'll probably be a no show, but enough people have asked me to mention it that I'll stick out a limb:p

I like it, and I (as a general rule) hate chat. Nice work, Charles.

Working well in Firefox BTW.

u_95244

n64man120 said:
Very impressive, was this hard to code?

Thanks n64man, it's really great to get compliments from strangers (the best kind of compliment).

It was somewhat difficult to code. Essentially my roommate and I here at UC Berkeley had to do a number of workarounds (mainly for cross-browser compatibility) and did quite a bit of research into client-side/server-side communication techniques. This is part of a larger research project we're doing in social networking.

BLenderhedd said:
I like it, and I (as a general rule) hate chat. Nice work, Charles.

Working well in Firefox BTW.

u_95244

Thanks Blender, I actually found an issue with firefox, that if you stay in the chatroom for a long time and more than 10-20 pages of text builds up, things get a little laggy. Gonna try fixing it by removing old lines of chat.

just a suggestion: try and make it so that when you're scrolling up in the chat, it doesn't snap to the bottom whenever someone posts something.

works on my machine, which is saying something (squid&squidguard--)

looks pretty cool! i'd be interested in seeing the coding involved. you have a license on it yet? you may want to put one on it before you go too much further just to keep code safer.

rogue_jedi said:
just a suggestion: try and make it so that when you're scrolling up in the chat, it doesn't snap to the bottom whenever someone posts something.

works on my machine, which is saying something (squid&squidguard--)

looks pretty cool! i'd be interested in seeing the coding involved. you have a license on it yet? you may want to put one on it before you go too much further just to keep code safer.

We have a license on the larger code-base. Needless to say, some of the code will never reach your computer, so the entire chatroom bit can't be retrieved.

Problems fixed.

Made a couple changes to fix things up and broke it for a while, but it's back to normal:p Sorry 'bout that.

Nice little chat feature dude. It would be nice if you could stretch the window bigger though and make it so that it uses the HardForum color scheme.

it would of been great if it was open sourced or you make a opensource version...
neways its AWSOME.. it just needs protection from spam

heh, thanks, glad ya'all like it. altho they deleted my [h]otdeals chat link:( eh well, maybe they won't like this after all

Charles, this is an interesting idea, but the only appropriate place to discuss its merits here is Webmastering & Programming. Not Games, not Deals, and not Case Modding. In W&P you can dicuss the program, but not advertise or solicit users.

Like someone mentioned, you can become a subscriber and post off-topic freely in our premium forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back