Chart: The Death Of The Music Industry

I just checked my hard drive, and my oldest MP3s have a modified date of 1999, right where the peak of the CDs starts to head back downwards. :)

As one of the comments there already said, it's not a death of an industry. It's a bubble being burst. If it was indeed the death of the music industry, the real estate industry should have died already when its bubble burst.

all that graph shows is the changes in medium, however there is no mp3 or digital download figure.

It doesn't look like 8-track had a chance to shine. *sniff*

and i didnt scroll right.... nice.
:)

I think the point here is that the current shift is not of their doing. Too bad for them.

Dubstep will kill us all anyway.

If they overlay the availability and marketability of talent, I would like to see the graph again.

gee, why are people less interested in music these days?

State_of_Music.jpg

all that graph shows is the changes in medium, however there is no mp3 or digital download figure.

It shows digital..scroll over; This is also in decline and I am not saying piracy is the new medium. But, there are definitely other avenues people can take to fulfill their 'fix' for music now. On any given day I do not need a CD or I do not need to listen to digital music in the forms of MP3...my life is insane from Mon-Thurs and the most easily accessible works for me...usually pandora on my phone or XM Radio if in the car..no need to fumble with cds, mp3 players etc. [I even use pandora wifi devices in the home..]

Digital... That is the thing which is offered only in USA, Canada, and most west european countries, right ?

OFC the chart doesn't show any sale numbers. They don't want to show the fact they were charging us $20 a cd when all we wanted was one song. The bubble has burst.

That headline is all wrong. It should be titled: "The Death of the Recording Industry"
No business should be guaranteed to have perpetual profitability, more so if they refuse to adapt to new technologies and refuse to give what the consumers want.

death to an industry that is completely overpopulated and under-talented these days. There are too many musicians and not enough money to go around to make them all rich like they want to be. THATS why its dying. Every time i turn around its a new band or musician singing the same sounding music that has been on the radio for the past 10 years.They dont deserve the money they make most of the time and id say 90% of them are one hit wonders.

As one of the comments there already said, it's not a death of an industry. It's a bubble being burst. If it was indeed the death of the music industry, the real estate industry should have died already when its bubble burst.

Yeah, if you took the peak of housing prices and compared them to what they ended up going down to at their bottom you'd see a much steeper decline than the music industry chart. The difference of course is that home builders don't really have a third party they can claim are stealing all their homes instead of buying them. (I wonder, if the music industry ran the home construction industry how long do you think it would be before they tried to make it illegal to let a friend stay at your place for free because it was eating into property rental and sales?)

The dip around 1997 intrigues me, because that is around the time when I remember a lot of music starting to take a dive, quality wise. There were tons of sound-alike rock acts, and record companies were trying to squeeze the last few drops from the alternative genre by hiring any band that was sort-of in tune. And then in the late 90s, we were bombarded with advertising for shitty pop acts. Looks like they artificially inflated their market and are finally paying the price for it.

New Radio Head King Of Limbs releases for mp3, or WAV, download.. tomorrow! 2/19/11

w00t

Yeah, if you took the peak of housing prices and compared them to what they ended up going down to at their bottom you'd see a much steeper decline than the music industry chart. The difference of course is that home builders don't really have a third party they can claim are stealing all their homes instead of buying them. (I wonder, if the music industry ran the home construction industry how long do you think it would be before they tried to make it illegal to let a friend stay at your place for free because it was eating into property rental and sales?)

It wasn't the builders, it was the realtors. We were building homes for the same price we always had (maybe around $20k more because building materials shot through the fucking roof). It was the realtors that took a house we built for $200,000 (including materials and wages), and priced it at $800,000, because thats what a house nearby went for.

It wasn't the builders, it was the realtors. We were building homes for the same price we always had (maybe around $20k more because building materials shot through the fucking roof). It was the realtors that took a house we built for $200,000 (including materials and wages), and priced it at $800,000, because thats what a house nearby went for.

Yeah, I know a guy here got a loan for $100k and built his own house that has a value of $350k; did all the work himself...He could not afford the $350k valued house otherwise but now lives next to people who can afford the 350k price tag :p

death to an industry that is completely overpopulated and under-talented these days. There are too many musicians and not enough money to go around to make them all rich like they want to be. THATS why its dying. Every time i turn around its a new band or musician singing the same sounding music that has been on the radio for the past 10 years.They dont deserve the money they make most of the time and id say 90% of them are one hit wonders.

Agreed! Thats why most my music is 70s and 80s. When

#1 You can sing? Good (no auto tuning)
#2 Looks weren't as important
#3 Many bands/people were original.

Now everyone has to be a barbie doll (Justin beaver) {yes i spelled his last name wrong.. so} and sound the same , Cant sing? Dont matter we have auto tone, and the dumb masses buy their albums with their shallow faces plastered on the covers. Blah.

The music industry is making more money now than it ever has before. The difference is that its being made by more people. Its only the major companies that have had this downturn in profit, but of course according to them they = the whole industry.

It's not that bad,

They're selling at early 90s levels today.

In other words no worse than where a lot of other big chunks of the economy are after the recession.

Considering music is highly discretionary spending (You don't NEED to buy music. You NEED to buy food) this really doesn't sound too bad.

Follow the following few steps and maybe the industry will come back:

1.) Stop clamoring to outdated models of music distribution on physical media.
2.) Do what Valve did with video games. Make it easier to buy the music than to pirate it, and make it cheap enough so people just do. remove things that hamper peoples free use (DRM, encryption, etc.) so they can put it on any device of their choosing without problems.
3.) Start producing GOOD music. Top 40 radio hasn't produced a single noteworthy piece of music since at least the early 90s, if not the late 80s. Start making good music again (drop the people chosen for their appearance, not their talent, that make up for it using auto tune and other modern production techniques. Stop selling artists who don't write all their own music, emphasize musical talent over looks and boobs) and customers might be willing to pay for it.

Can't remember the last time I heard anything original, most of what I listen to is a few decades (or more) old.

The dip around 1997 intrigues me, because that is around the time when I remember a lot of music starting to take a dive, quality wise. There were tons of sound-alike rock acts, and record companies were trying to squeeze the last few drops from the alternative genre by hiring any band that was sort-of in tune. And then in the late 90s, we were bombarded with advertising for shitty pop acts. Looks like they artificially inflated their market and are finally paying the price for it.

QFT! - Music has not been good since around 1998 and I probably haven't listened to the radio in over 10 years. There's nothing good to listen to anyway with the proliferation of rap and no-talent Madonna wannabe's. Seems like no one knows how to write a good song anymore. I am content to listen to my 80s and 90s mp3's on my PC. Long live the early to mid 90s alternative music genre...probably some of the best music that has ever been.

Actually it was the value of the land.

Basic capitalism: Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. It may only cost $200K for build the house, but how much did it cost to buy the land the house is sitting on?

My property tax statement here in California breaks out the land/structure values, and even with the price drops, the land is still worth alot more than the house.

Can't remember the last time I heard anything original, most of what I listen to is a few decades (or more) old.

Ditto.

Almost everything I listen to came out in the 80s, and its not because I am stuck in the 80s, its just that nothing really good has come out since.

I split my listening between New Wave, Post Punk, 80s feel good upbeat pop and early electro/hiphop/rap (pre gangsta/N.W.A, "throw your hands in the air like you really don't care" era of rap. This is the only good rap IMHO.)

Actually it was the value of the land.

Basic capitalism: Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. It may only cost $200K for build the house, but how much did it cost to buy the land the house is sitting on?

My property tax statement here in California breaks out the land/structure values, and even with the price drops, the land is still worth alot more than the house.

True, but real estate agents are still leeching pieces of shit. :p

5% of a $400k house (the cheapest you can find around here) = $20k for a few hours of work, that anyone should be able to do themselves by researching listings online, and reading a guide to which forms need to be filled out.

Real Estate agents are leeching scum and both buyers and sellers would be much better off if they just disappeared.

1997 was a little after the more tech savvy found out the internet had tons of "free" MP3's.

I don't think the quality of music has declined, I think the quality of mainstream music has declined. Tons of good stuff still out there, you just have to look for it, because it isn't on the radio.

Ate-Track, perhaps the most appropriately named technology ever as that's exactly what both of the players I had did.

Cheapest house is 700,000 to 1 million plus for a house. So unaffordable in BC that younger generations are leaving in droves. No way you can own house here unless your trades or have a good paying job. Its mortgage for life here.

Probabily why recording industry is going down hill because in BC we are taxxed to the max. Even our gas is 4.63 a gallon here. Biggest rip in history as well as 18 taxes on my paycheck. Guess what entertainment always takes dive when taxes are high and minimum wage is only 8 bucks (Lowest in Canada).

Done my rave...just sucks being here in BC with no money to spend.

Glad to see so many people at HardOCP are more in tune than the media execs. They are just upset that they have to stop construction on their 15th homes, and that they won't be able to purchase a new private jet every year.

Back