Charging a visitor's Nintendo Switch

Pegi

Limp Gawd
When my grandson visits next month, he's planning on bringing his Nintendo Switch with him but didn't want to bring the dock for charging it. Looking on Amazon, I think I only need to buy a Type C to Type A cable with a plug-in wall charger, but they have both a 45W and a 65W. Assuming this is all I need for him to charge his Switch and controllers, should I go for the 45W or the 65W (and I'm assuming both the Switch and the controllers would charge together)? I don't own any consoles myself so just want to be sure I'm buying the right thing.

Ideally, you just want a USB-C charger that will do a decent amount of wattage. Even a basic phone charger will do it, but it may not be able to charge while playing, and take a long time to charge.

There's a list here. Really the takeaway seems to be that you want 10W+ of juice.

He can just unplug the power cord from the dock and bring it.

I use the Macbook 29w charger when traveling, works great.

Appreciate the replies, guys. MavericK, thanks so much for the detailed post. I had no idea the answer to my question would boggle my mind even more. But I went ahead and chose one of the "great" picks; don't need a lot of science behind it, just want to keep the kid happy while he's visiting. As long as it works and will charge the Switch overnight, I'll be happy and so will he. Thanks much!

Appreciate the replies, guys. MavericK, thanks so much for the detailed post. I had no idea the answer to my question would boggle my mind even more. But I went ahead and chose one of the "great" picks; don't need a lot of science behind it, just want to keep the kid happy while he's visiting. As long as it works and will charge the Switch overnight, I'll be happy and so will he. Thanks much!

Should just buy the official Nintendo Switch power cable and be done with it. I had trouble charging my Switch with anything but it, but I am sure there are answers and I wasn't patient enough to find it.

Back