Changing the Subwoofer on the Z680

david1387

n00b
I was planning to put an 8 inch JL AUDIO W3v2 in place of my logitech Z-680 subwoofer. However, I can't get the grill off the subwoofer? Anyone got any ideas? I tried prying it open with a screw driver for like 30 min and that didn't work.

I suggest you not do it

however I understand heat helps to get those logitechs to open up (think hair dryer)

good luck

You can't just pop in another driver in an enclosure and have it sound good. There's alot of factors to consider. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

that will probably sound like horrible crap, each prefabed enclosure suits the exact design of the sub itself, it would be WAY better if you just built an enclosure for your JL sub using the specs from JLs website. sealed sounds the best but requires themost power. i doubt the amp in the logi sub enclosure would be powerful enough. use a reciever or power a car amp.

Actually it's pretty easy. I fucked mine up learning how. You have to pry off that stupid wire grill with a screw driver gently (may take a few screw drivers too). It comes out, however, you may bend it a little but you could always bend it back and force it in to fit back in. Like a dumbass, I tried to get the plastic piece off which had nothing to do with holidng the woofer in place nor hiding the screws (and broke pieces off it). Just try it slowly, it will budge. Don't be scared of it, it's just a wire grill. :)

ColStripe said:
You can't just pop in another driver in an enclosure and have it sound good. There's alot of factors to consider. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

Well, you can and you can't. You're right, you have to find a woofer made for taht type of enclosure which is a pretty common size for an 8" woofer anyhow. But you'll also need to take in account the type of enclosure: ported, (which just about any woofer will work anyways). I'd say just try out whatever you're going to try as long as you know the specs for the sub. At worst, it won't sound what you want which is hard to get anyway. If you need any help man, let me know.

welli was thinking it might work since a 8 inch W3v2 is only 125 watts rms while the logitech sub is rated at 188.. but i also have a JL 500/1 monoblock amp and a 10 inch W7 at 500 watts if i can only figure out how to incorporate that into the comp speaker system.. and buying a new enclosure is always an option.. i just have no idea how to get the car amp to plug into a household outlet.

also i believe that the logitech enclosure size is similar to that needed of an 8 inch W3v2. the biggest prob would probably be if the amp is too weak to push the JL sub.

You for sure need to do some more research to make sure it's a good fit as a replacement driver. There's lot's of resouces out there with info on this. I did a quick search and found The Subwoofer DIY Page. But there's alot more to replacing a driver than matching the power handling and size of the cone :)

david1387 said:
welli was thinking it might work since a 8 inch W3v2 is only 125 watts rms while the logitech sub is rated at 188.. but i also have a JL 500/1 monoblock amp and a 10 inch W7 at 500 watts if i can only figure out how to incorporate that into the comp speaker system.. and buying a new enclosure is always an option.. i just have no idea how to get the car amp to plug into a household outlet.

The only real way to hook that up is by using a car battery directly in your house. It's really not a good idea.. Someone posted up the other day about a custom computer speaker system. They had a really nice amp for their sub. It was like 700wx2@2ohms which is pretty damn good. The amp was also 250 bucks. Looked really nice though. That's really the only way to hook it up.

I, for the hell of it, chopped off the 12V wires from an old powersupply and rigged that up to my MTX car audio amp. It really looks like shit but it does work and powers it just fine. I don't get the full power from the amp at only 12V however. You can try to replace that 8" if you want. You do what you want man.. :)

ummmmm i would lay off with the amount of knowledge you have aquired about subwoofers. The sub can handle 288rms supposedly, but that doesnt mean its getting it. my guess is that the 8" logitech sub is 8ohms. is the JL sub 8ohms? if not you will be straining your logitech amp, and trust me, i had the 680 setup for a while and that amp gets PLENTY hot on its own. you definately dont want to try and power a w7. those things are like 1.3 ohms or dual .7 in some cases, JL likes the word proprietary even more than prefab computer companies .... not to say they arent great or anyhting. the w7 off the logitech amp would have your amp stinking within minutes. power converters are also expensive if you were to want to power a higher wattage sub off a car amp. thats why home theatre is available ... so you dont have jerry-rigged car amps running at 1ohm with little clarity.

if you dont do some quick research you could be enjoying the aroma of burnt electronics. If the logitech sub doesnt impress you, id suggest looking into home theatre. i know that i was wanting more from my z680s and i have a wood floor.

MadJuggla9 said:
ummmmm i would lay off with the amount of knowledge you have aquired about subwoofers. The sub can handle 288rms supposedly, but that doesnt mean its getting it. my guess is that the 8" logitech sub is 8ohms. is the JL sub 8ohms? if not you will be straining your logitech amp, and trust me, i had the 680 setup for a while and that amp gets PLENTY hot on its own. you definately dont want to try and power a w7. those things are like 1.3 ohms or dual .7 in some cases, JL likes the word proprietary even more than prefab computer companies .... not to say they arent great or anyhting. the w7 off the logitech amp would have your amp stinking within minutes. power converters are also expensive if you were to want to power a higher wattage sub off a car amp. thats why home theatre is available ... so you dont have jerry-rigged car amps running at 1ohm with little clarity.

if you dont do some quick research you could be enjoying the aroma of burnt electronics. If the logitech sub doesnt impress you, id suggest looking into home theatre. i know that i was wanting more from my z680s and i have a wood floor.

Actually, you're right. That's why I suggested looking at the specs of the subwoofer to see if they match that of the amp. I guess I just left out teh importance of the ohms. My appologies. Don't competely dismiss my comments like that though, if there is something I may have said that's incorrect or left out, let me know.

I agree with the 188watt logitech sub. I really doubt that the amp really gives out that much power, then again, they are very cheap speakers.

Back