Changing novell password causes Windows to lose connection to drive shares

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Well guys, I've got a wierd one here. Several of my users (Win XP, SP1) have persistent windows drive mappings going to other windows (2000 server) machines. However, whenever they change their novell (4.9) passwords, the drive maps have a red X on them. If they try to go to that drive, it tells them access denied, and doesn't even ask for a username/password. You have to unmap, then remap the drive.

Any ideas? :)

Also -Changing the Novell passwords also makes them change their windows password. But they are mapped to the Windows 2000 servers with a completely unrelated username/password. Which is set to be remembered.

huh? so you saying that the other mappings are mapped based off "rememberd" username and passwords to other w2k servers that is diffrent from their novell logins? If so it make sense that it would challege you if you orgional creditals changed. Alse if so this seems like a very poor way to manage network resources. you running AD?

Nope, we're not running AD because we're using Novell as our network backbone. We can't put novell on these 2k servers, so the only way I know of to get access to the data on their HD's is to map a drive.

Its messy, but I'm open to suggestions on how else to do it.

well you need to lookinto zenworks to manage your resources. There are ways of intergrating NDS with AD if you have any plans on going that route. But my next question is if your using w2k for file server then what do you use the novell servers for?

Other file servers :).

The win2k machines are for one particular product, while the novell servers are the main backbone of the company.

well i see two options really.

1. Use Zenworks to manage your network resources.
2. Install AD on atleast one of the w2k servers (if possible not sure what your running on them) and use either microsofts tools or novells to intergrate the two directory services to centrally manaage your resources.

Well, this is really only to give one or two people access to the files. Its a lot of work and unneccessary. Thats why I've been doing the drive mappings.

So you only have 1 w2k server? and is it just file services? why can't it run on the novell network?

Theres two or three win2k machines that are servers, and for this particular case the person only needs access to a folder on their HD's. I can't put novell on there because its a very sensitive machine with lots of software that we'd rather leave alone.

oakfan52 said:
I'm still a newb when it comes to novell so......

you can look into NAM (novell account management) http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/nammag/features/a_sync_ntdomain_nam.html but i'm not sure if it will work with w2k profession (non-server).

To make things simpler i would have their novell ogin be the same as the accounts on the w2k machines. there are many ways (one linked above) to sync the accounts.

The only thing is we force them to change passwords every 30 days, so then they would have to change the password on the server as well.

Back