Changhong 32" 1080p TV as a monitor?

bsbllclown

Weaksauce
Anyone use a 32inch 1080P TV as your main monitor on your PC? Currently I have an AOC 27inch 1080p display and its pretty good. But I have the room the push the monitor back a little so I was thinking about getting a 32inch TV and I saw this cheap brand but cannot find any reviews for it. I know its a Chinese Brand and their larger displays get decent reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889624013

Just curious how this will be for reading text and webpages? I know it would be fine for gaming as I'm not that picky.

I'm using 32" Panasonic TV as a monitor for ~4 years now.. Pixels are obviously big, given the size of a TV, but text is still clear, and big, which I like, since I sit between 70cm and 120cm away from it. It also does not have noticeable input lag, which is very important..

Now with this no-name TV, I don't know... I would be afraid to risk it, mainly due to possible input lag.
Perhaps you can try it, and then return it, in the unlikely case the lag is somehow unbearable..
You see most of these TVs have PC mode, which lowers the input lag, but with such a unknown TV, you can never be 100%, even though it's an old feature and it should certainly be there.

Thanks for the Reply Darwin.

I'm also a bit hesitant to go with that off brand without having someone verify its not total garbage yet. I don't "need" it anyway haha since I have a decent 27. Its more a "want" ;).

TV's need to support 4:4:4 to display text properly, it is extremely unlikely that any cheap, no-name brand TV will. There is a reason this is cheap and large, plus it probably uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects). The Sony W700 is the cheapest decent 32" TV, but it costs 500$.

When looking at Sony's site I dont see any mention of 4:4:4 vs 4:4:2. Does it show up listed as something else when i'm looking at Specs?

No, someone who knows what they are doing has to test the TV.

i used a Samsung UN32D5500 32" 1080P tv as a monitor for a year and a half. a great tv for PC use as it has relatively low input lag for a tv, a near-glossy panel coating, and supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (unconfirmed due to lack of people using this set; as far as i could tell it passed). with that said i'll personally never use a tv as a monitor again. i enjoyed the larger picture but the pixel pitch was too large and the pixel response time was too slow. it was a fun experiment but it just concreted in my mind that you have to use a product for its intended purpose, when it comes to monitors.

The Sony 32W7 like every other W series sets supports 4:4:4, does not use PWM and is more than just a decent TV, it's THE best TV to use for gaming, at least with consoles.
Here's a review of the Euro version: https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w706-w705-kdl-32w706-led-lcd-tv-full-hd-television-review.10458
The downside is it's edge-lit VA panel, with inevitable slow transitions in dark areas which might be noticeable while playing fast 3D games like FPS, and a bit narrow viewing angles compared to IPS.
But the black levels are great of course.
I own a 42W6 (from 2013, which is 99% identical to the 2014 W7 series) and I can tell it's all kinds of awesome for the price, but it's still only 1080p.
Even at 32" I wouldn't say it's good-enough as a pc monitor, you just can't sit too close to it.

Oh and it's not available in the US...
A few LG, Samsung and Vizio alternatives are said to be okay, but they don't reach the Sony's level.

Either keep your AOC, or buy another but better 27", or go for the BenQ BL3200PT if you absolutely want 32".
Just my 2c heh.

Back