Changed mobo and can't get repair install to work.

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
FIXED

Okay, heres the problem:

Orig install of OS is XP Pro SP2b that has been upgraded over time to SP3

Mobo NF4 Sli mobo dies with revision A3 NF4 MCP. Replaced with NF4 Sli mobo using revision B1 MCP.

Went to boot system to see if it would boot but was expecting BSOD . . system reboots, unexpected but thought nothing of it.

Restarted system with SP3 CD in optical and attempted repair install at the 2nd screen where it shows installed OS's. Upon restart where the install/repair process actually starts the system rebooted at the windows load screen. Now this time this was unexpected.

Restarted system again and at first repair screen I went into the CMD and ran the "chkdsk /r" command. Rebooted system thinking the problem would be solved, I was wrong, still rebooted on its own.

Now, I'm thinking eh, maybe the hardware just maaaaybe might be having issues, luckily I had installed an OS on a 20gb HD for this mobo a week ago so hooked that up, started system and it makes it all the way into windows, ran OCCT for 1hr, rebooted and ran memtest. Hardware is fine.

Also the PSU has indeed been tested, the issue is not hardware.

=== And sooooo ===

Here is where I am now. The hardware is stable, the replacement mobo is extremely close but not identical to the orig. I should be able to run a repair install then re-activate windows as the system has an OEM license that has only been activated 1 of the 3 times.

Any clue what gives?

Last edited:
You're details are to vague and confusing for me to figure out.

OK, when you turn it on and just try to boot into Windows, what happens? Also, have you tried booting in with safe mode?

Found the problem. Turns out the 2nd HD in the system which was not the one listed as having the OS that was last in use was actually the one that was last in use. I have my old cooworker to thank for this whole debacle.

Turns out poor notes in our records had me trying to fix the wrong OS to start with, as soon as I went to the right HD it booted straight into windows with no request to re-activate :)

Back