Changed hard drive letter in Regedit.exe and now windows won't start. Need help pls.

zamardii

2[H]4U
I just got done putting my system together, and I wanted to install my Nvidia video card drivers, but it wouldn't let me select where. My computer automatically assigned (I) to be my hard drive so obviously it wouldn'yt install, so I went online and foudn this way so I tried to edit it through Regedit.exe, and now when I start up Windows it shows the little progress bar, and then it fades to say windows xp, and doesn't go any farther.

Is there anyway to change that back, or do I have to reinstall because of that one little mistake? There should be a way around it, no?

If I have to reinstall, then how do I change the drive letter? I need my hard drive to be C:

Only way to make your system drive C: is to reinstall...

If you want to fix this issue, I suggest WinPE. And follow the steps to edit MountedDevices back to it's original value...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

You can try getting to a restore point; It might work.

I have no idea though, I've never tried it myself

You cant get to a restore point without windows booting up so that wouldnt help at all...

Use a UBCD for windows or BartPE disc to reedit the registry back.

I've installed plenty of nvidia drivers on a system with the OS drive being G: and its been fine. They normally install to OS drive:\nvidia\

Back