jnick

2[H]4U
My nephew had a machine we built for him:

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev B3)
nVidia 570 GTX
8GB of DDR3 G.Skill
Windows 10

Since we all upgraded our computers and he wasn't able to, we figured we would be nice and donate some of our old parts to him. The upgrade was simple; we were giving him an i7 2700k and a eVGA 660 Ti.

The parts were pulled out of a working system that was upgraded last weekend. It was in a machine that had the exact same motherboard.

I began the swap, put in the CPU, re-applied paste, put the heatsink on and then popped in the video card. 15 minutes at most. I power on the PC and I have no video on the monitor. It shows "No signal". On the motherboard, I noticed the "BOOT_DEVICE_LED" was solid red.

I tried cleaning and reseating the CPU, I tried putting his old parts back....nothing.

I then went back home, grabbed the spare P8P67 Pro that came from the other computer and did a full motherboard and RAM swap. So at this point, the only thing that remained the same in his computer was the case, drives and PSU.

The machine boots! I get "New CPU". I go into the bios, reset to defaults and continue on. Windows 10 attempts to load. I get the logo with the loading circle....black screen. The monitor loses signal again.

Now, no matter how many times I reboot this PC, windows will attempt to load, but ultimate it will go to a black "No Signal" screen.

I have no idea what the issue can be at this point. I've literally tried two CPUs, two motherboards, two video cards and two sets of RAM. The only thing that wasn't touched is the PSU. However, the computer was in working order before the swap. My nephew was using it before I shut it down to upgrade.

Any ideas on what I can try at this point? I have no idea now which components are bad, if any....

Its possible some pins in the CPU socket have become bent.
Sometimes they can be repaired if you know someone with the tools, a steady hand and a large magnifying glass.
Other times, they end up too mangled to fix.

Its possible its happened on both of your motherboards.
P67 CPU sockets should not have CPUs replaced often, they are best left alone once working.

I had exactly this happen with the exact motherboard you have.
Asus would not help, theres not even warranty cover for it.

Then I bought a Gigabyte board and another CPU, exactly the same problem.
Except Gigabyte replaced the motherboard.
I stopped using Asus for over 6 years because of that.
I never recommend them because their customer service is terrible. fyi

This motherboard has a UEFI bios? Make sure it is set to Windows 8 boot mode.

The bios wasn't updated, however it was running the same BIOS that the other motherboard was.

I left the mobo battery out all night, put it back in today and the PC booted without issue. The oddity that I see is one of two things.

1. The 660 Ti is screwed.
2. The PSU (Antec Neo-Eco 620) can't handle the load

When I connect the DVI cable to the top DVI port, I get nothing. If I connect it to the bottom DVI port, I get the task bar and a black background, basically what it's doing is thinking I have two monitors and setting it to extend. I have to use the lower DVI port, then bring up the nVidia control panel and set the PC to single monitor mode. Then it works.

My nephew gamed a little on it tonight and didn't see any issue. I expected, if it was the PSU, that the PC would have shut down or locked up while playing. For now, he is just going to ride it out and see what happens. Now, if I put the GTX570 in now, it works fine. Again, leading me to believe its the 660 or PSU.

Try another video card.

Check CPU socket for bent pins.

Check PSU voltages - 12v, 5v and 3.3v - they should all be within 0.3v of target.

Try a different DVI cable. One DVI port will be DVI-D, the other will be DVI-I. Make sure you use the DVI-I port. What monitor and port are you using? See Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A GTX570 will draw more current than a GTX660Ti.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? You may need to go in and delete the video drivers from device manager to get it to go all the way into Windows.

Or just uninstall the Nvidia drivers with the 570 installed, shut down, and then install the 660.

Back