Change Windows 8.1 Lock/Welcom Screen Image

MrCaffeineX

[H]ard|Gawd
I hate the default Lock/Welcome Screen image in Windows 8.1. It is like staring at technicolor vomit every time I come back to my desk and I think it is giving me motion sickness...

I'm running 8.1 Pro 64-bit, clean install last night. Up-to-date and I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus or corrupt Windows files preventing it from working.

I tried going into Charms Bar > Settings > PC Settings > Lock Screen > select an image > Choose Image, but that didn't stick.

I tried using the Group Policy Object "Force a specific lock screen..." but that didn't work.

I did find that I can change it to a static color using StartScreenColorTuner, but I thought a picture would be nicer.

Any suggestions?

On my tablet, I went to the photo app then selected the photo I wanted and it gave me the option to set it as the lock screen.

Strange. I was able to change it to the built-in city train track one. Are you trying to change to a non-built-in picture?

"Note

By default, Windows will only use the pictures that fit best on your screen for the lock screen slide show. But if you want to use all of the pictures in the folders you selected for your slide show, tap or click the Only use the pictures that will fit best on my screen slider to turn it off."

Last edited:
It was not working before I went to work. I went to work and the computer went to sleep. When I got home and woke it up, the image I had selected (a JPG of my choosing, not one of the Microsoft-supplied ones) greeted me. I'll see what happens after I restart it later...

Back