Change in BA requirements

Found the way that thread was closed really offensive. It's like a part-time rarely-seen and unliked barkeeper walking up to a group of the regulars and telling them to change the subject.

Welcome to the world of FF, it happens all the time. However the mod/admin in question has not made another post since then....

Most of us don't go there any more and those that do ignore it

Of course in my case, it was more of the shotgun greeting...your kind isn't welcome in here. :eek:

The timing was important. I had predicted from the very start of the thread that it would alienate donors. I challenged them to explain their thinking and how this was in any way beneficial to the cause. They refused consistently to even admit that they owed donors a rational explanation.

So, slamming the thread closed made sense.

1. No promised communication person yet
2. No discussion on SMP / how to improve the point system
3. actually no action other than to announce the end of the program in a year/10months.

And finally, now the obvious results are starting to appear in the participation numbers.
(delayed by their 50 day counting system)

Now less than than 160 k CPU for the first time in 5 years.(By their own numbers)

But good news! since the thread is locked, there is no way for donors to point out the results of the poor management.

Who says censorship doesn't work !

Thanks Sortofageek. You win this years Stalin award for excellence in applying censorship in a public forum !!!

PS, I know I shouldn't keep pointing this out, because they will get around to fixing it:
But click on the start folding icon on the start page;

"Add your computer's power to over 327,000 others that are helping us find cures to Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's and many cancers ..."

Today = 159515 Active CPU per their own stat page.

I think they are in a race to 100,000 and not 1,000,000.;)

Last edited:
I am very glad I never poured any cash into folding-specific hardware. Thought about it many times.

Whatever hardware you would use for folding can be used for similar DC projects. It's not like ASICs for mining. Just "normal" CPU and some serious GPUs. Easy to reallocate in case needed.

Will be happy to switch to BOINC when the last day of BA comes. 32 cores will still be useful.

GPUGrid if you have nVidia GPU's. AMD GPU's are still waiting on POEM to finish up testing their new GPU app. Not sure if POEM will utilize Intel GPU's yet.

Show me a useful project for my GPU that is equivalent. GPUGrid?

Equivalent to what, PPD ? GTX 680 on F@H = 86K PPD GTX 680 on GPUGrid = 300K PPD, Boinc tends to value GPU's quite highly on all of the projects I have run them on. As far as medical projects goes GPUGrid is the only option at this time that I know of.

I agree that no one cares.

But since tear predicted it, I thought I would just share the hijinks going on with the overall stats reporting:

Well, tear predicted this very early on in the BA thread...It is very easy to adjust TFLOPS to hide lower participation rates.

We have now just witnessed a second miracle in TFLOPS performance.

Total active CPU continues to decline. Now at 157K

Yet in a couple of days...an additional 13K GPU were "found"(out of a total of only around 20K a few days ago)

So, TFOPS increased from 15K to 25K in the same few day period.

So in conclusion...total number of machines continue to decline, but total TFLOPS increased(not by a little) but by a whopping 66% due to "found" processing power.;)

Now, I don't doubt for a minute that GPU are very powerful, and that this is a possibility.

But since the total active participation of GPU were only 20K a few days ago...where did these extra 13K GPU come from?

Just another miracle of STATS I guess.

They pay GPU manufactures to run "stress test" for couple hours? :D
Or they might hack your rigs to run fah :p

Equivalent to what, PPD ? GTX 680 on F@H = 86K PPD GTX 680 on GPUGrid = 300K PPD, Boinc tends to value GPU's quite highly on all of the projects I have run them on. As far as medical projects goes GPUGrid is the only option at this time that I know of.
Strange, my 680 never cleared an average of about 65K ppd on F@H, but on GPUGrid, my last 7 day average ppd is at 393K... I definitely enjoy the PPD on GPUGrid!

Back