Chances that the MBP will be updated with Mermon for WWDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joony

Limp Gawd
The 1.83 MBP deal on Amazon didn't work out, it was stuck on waiting to be shipped for a while, then it just went out of stock yesterday, and the rebate expired.

I'm thinking again, It will probably be worth waiting for the next revision with the new Core 2 CPU.

Since Intel recently announced Core 2, along with some time between that and WWDC, is there a chance that Apple is already working on a new revision of the MBP with Merom so that they will be ready for August WWDC release?

I still have an urge to get one at the Apple Store right now...

edit: whoops, can't spell Merom!

Anything people will tell you here is just rumors they've heard.

I have decided to wait on ordering mine until after the 7th. I need it by the end of next month for school, so I'm in no rush to get one. If you need one now, go buy one. If you're not in any rush, restrain yourself for a couple weeks and see how it pans out.

I am also waiting till after the 7th, but like he ^ mentioned, anything you hear is going to be rumors and speculation. In general though, i would like to wait till rev B of the macbookpro for them to update certain things besides the processor too. And historically, their revB hardware is usually better than their revA, they tend to learn from mistakes pretty easily (unlike some other companies). If i had to put money on Merom being in a macbookpro, id bet it'd be out by the end of august, if not teh end of september...id be very very surprised if it wasnt out by the end of september. So at most you have 2 months to wait, and at least, you have about 2 -3 weeks. We'll see.

Octave said:
In general though, i would like to wait till rev B of the macbookpro for them to update certain things besides the processor too. And historically, their revB hardware is usually better than their revA, they tend to learn from mistakes pretty easily (unlike some other companies).

kinda new to this. where would you go to find out when the next revision apple was shipping (before you bought)? once you got it (after in your hands), how would you verify it was the next revision (esp with the notebook computers)?

thanks

Liver said:
kinda new to this. where would you go to find out when the next revision apple was shipping (before you bought)?

You won't know until Apple officially announces it. After they do it will be all over the internet, including Apple's own site.

Liver said:
once you got it (after in your hands), how would you verify it was the next revision (esp with the notebook computers)?

Apple always assigns new model numbers to revised products.

CEpeep said:
You won't know until Apple officially announces it. After they do it will be all over the internet, including Apple's own site.

Apple always assigns new model numbers to revised products.

CEpeep hit it right on the head. The news and Apple will be all over it when new hardware is released. (especially if a new processor is in there). It wont be like when dell releases a new revision of a flat panel or something ( like A01 and A02 and A03 of the 2005FPW or something)...it will be much more apparent because the older stuff will be on clearance and the newer stuff....well...wont. Besides, if you know what specs were updated in the new revision, just look on the box and or specs online to see if its the newest one. Im pretty sure you'll be able to handle it.

there are already two revision, one with the new logic board, oen with the old, you can tell by looking at the mac os x verison tehy are being shipped with as the new one accepts only .7

pinktank said:
there are already two revision, one with the new logic board, oen with the old, you can tell by looking at the mac os x verison tehy are being shipped with as the new one accepts only .7

Oh ya, i think i remember something about that one, however its a very small revision. I guess i should be more clear when i say revision B...i was thinking more along the lines of feature updates or rather noticable updates, not just using a new logic board cause the rev1 board sometiems had issues. (like that high pitch whine or whatever i remember reading about) However, the any updates are welcome i guess, because its bound to be better than the previous (yes, i know....u can find exceptions....good for you).
Anywho, wait for Merom, thats my vote, and im practicing what i preach.

Today is July 22nd. Each passing day is excruciating and painful, but I'm confident the reward will be every bit as sweet then as it is now if I were to plump down a few grand for MBP. It's not a long wait but even if Apple does not upgrade anything, which I doubt, I can at least say to myself I made an informed decision.

Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait.... all that jazz :D

The Mac Pro will also be introduced in a new enclosure. This is pretty well a fact.

I heard that the Mac Pro will come in a similar enclosure than the G5... Contrary to first belief.

Sure, waiting to make an informed decision is a good idea but hehe, doesn't have the "2k$ impulse buy" effect on your system

ahh, urge to buy mac, rising...rising...

stop talking about the mac pro!

More MBP Merom talk :)

edit: ahh, I can't spell again!

Arcygenical said:
I heard that the Mac Pro will come in a similar enclosure than the G5... Contrary to first belief.

Sure, waiting to make an informed decision is a good idea but hehe, doesn't have the "2k$ impulse buy" effect on your system

by new enclosure they mean a second optical drive as far as it looks.

on parts of th MBP: the Merom is the best bet at the moment. It will put more differences between pro and consumer line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back