Chance to pre-order PS5 Direct from Sony

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2020/ps5-direct-pre-orders/

Looks like some kind of preorder lottery. If you get selected you will get a pre-order window via email where you can select which version of PS5 you want and any extra peripherals you want. All you need to do is sign up your PSN ID and it will email you if you are selected.

Outside of being registered on PSN, you don't sign up at all, you're just selected at random based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities."

Who will be selected to receive an invitation?

Our selection is based on previous interests and PlayStation activities.

When will I know if I’ve been selected or not?

If you are selected, we will contact you via email before pre-orders start. If you do not receive an email, you were not selected.

Thanks, I signed in for it. Never been one to preorder, but kind of excited for this gen. Had a great last gen experience.

I've been on the PSN since day 1, but I don't play my PS4 nearly as much as most console-only gamers. I put my odds as "pretty slim" as a result.
Still, it took like 10 seconds and it can't hurt. I'm banking on Amazon or maybe Target/Wal-Mart/Best Buy. I figure if I can't get one locked up on any of those, this Christmas is going to be complete chaos.

Since I'm in Europe and want a US model in case there's any region restrictions or the PSU isn't dual voltage (which my PS4 Pro is thankfully), I'll pretty much be restricted to my local military base's Post Exchange store, which I would prefer to get the PS5 at anyways for tax free, but I'm sure they'll have exceptionally limited stock with no way to reserve one. So hopefully I'll be able to order one online somewhere too and have to wait 2 weeks at least to ship it here.

I'm sure they sound gimmicky to most, but I'm looking forward to see how the new Dual Sense controller feels and how well the haptics work and the variable resistance triggers. Also I'll probably be trying to get a set of the 3D wireless headsets if they aren't priced too high ($100+) to see how serious Sony is with their emphasis on high quality audio. Other than comfort for long sessions, I've enjoyed my Sony Gold headset so far even for PC use.

Registered but like others not holding my breath since I'm probably not "superfan" enough. But hey, easy enough to fill out the form so may as well give it a shot.

I wonder if Sony is creating this scarcity because the price is going to be absolutely outrageous.

I need to already own a PS console to enter the lottery?

You need a PSN account of some sort. It's just to pre-order from Sony themselves. This has no bearing on sales from any other retailer, so it's mostly no big deal. I keep seeing articles about it showing up in my news feed, so it's generating publicity. The fact that they're even doing this will probably make other pre-sales even more popular.

You need a PSN account of some sort. It's just to pre-order from Sony themselves. This has no bearing on sales from any other retailer, so it's mostly no big deal. I keep seeing articles about it showing up in my news feed, so it's probably generating publicity. The fact that they're even doing this will probably make other pre-sales even more popular.

I used to own a PS4 but I sold it right before the PS4 Pro was released...so that account ID would still work?

I used to own a PS4 but I sold it right before the PS4 Pro was released...so that account ID would still work?

It should. Unless you deleted it, it's still around. Try logging into the PSN website with it. You can always reset the password (if the email is still valid) if you forgot.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2020/ps5-direct-pre-orders/

Looks like some kind of preorder lottery. If you get selected you will get a pre-order window via email where you can select which version of PS5 you want and any extra peripherals you want. All you need to do is sign up your PSN ID and it will email you if you are selected.

I signed up but i'm scared i'll get this pre order, do it. And then get my ps5 a week after amazon pushes out their shipments. I'll definitely be trying to get a pre-order through them.

I signed up but i'm scared i'll get this pre order, do it. And then get my ps5 a week after amazon pushes out their shipments. I'll definitely be trying to get a pre-order through them.

I suspect Sony will probably let you know if you "win" well before anything ships and it's not like you have to pre-order if your name is drawn.
Worst case, you might end up with two PS5's just before the holiday season where they're sure to be the hottest thing. There were people selling PSVR's for 2x what they were worth back in 2016. Even if you don't want to gouge people, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to profit off a second PS5 and sell it almost instantly.

I suspect Sony will probably let you know if you "win" well before anything ships and it's not like you have to pre-order if your name is drawn.
Worst case, you might end up with two PS5's just before the holiday season where they're sure to be the hottest thing. There were people selling PSVR's for 2x what they were worth back in 2016. Even if you don't want to gouge people, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to profit off a second PS5 and sell it almost instantly.

Oh ill probably pre-order from 3 places, you don't pay till it ships. Then i can cancel all but one. I'm sure someone would probably take my spot and try to scalp it but i refuse to contribute to that. When i picked up my switch from BBY, some poor kid and his dad were asking if they had any available. You could tell he was holding back the tears. Then like 3 minutes later someone cancelled one and they asked me if i wanted it, i said no i already have one. Ran back to electronics and found that dad and got him hooked up. That little bro experienced a world of emotion in 10 minutes.

I never got one. A couple people in the NowInStock chat mentioned that they got their invite emails around midnight on the 16th. Apparently even the people that got the invites weren't guaranteed anything - they sold out before all of the invited people could buy one, too.

From what I can gather, all of this chaos is because Wal-Mart misinterpreted/defied a Sony directive. Retailers were supposed to announce that pre-sales were going to go live on 9/17. Instead, Wal-Mart just greenlit their pre-sales instead of announcing anything. At that point Sony just gave everyone else the go-ahead. Some of that might be internet lore and speculation, but it makes some level of sense why things went down like they did.

Oh ill probably pre-order from 3 places, you don't pay till it ships. Then i can cancel all but one.
That’s what I did. Have one preordered at Target, Walmart and Amazon. Amazon already emailed me saying that I potentially won’t get it at launch. So Walmart and Target are my best chances as of now.

That’s what I did. Have one preordered at Target, Walmart and Amazon. Amazon already emailed me saying that I potentially won’t get it at launch. So Walmart and Target are my best chances as of now.
how the hell did you manage that?

how the hell did you manage that?
I follow Wario64 on Twitter. The guy or whoever runs the account literally posts deals almost instantly as they go up. He tweeted that some retailers would be starting preorders in the evening (after the PS5 showcase) so I signed into all my store accounts ahead of time and enabled notifications for his tweets.

Then that night when he tweeted they were up at ______ store I’d instantly click the link in his tweet and preorder the PS5. The only website I was unsuccessful on was Best Buy’s.

I used the same method to secure myself two NES Classics and two SNES Classics. One to play and one to keep as a “collector’s item”.

I've seen that Wario64 guy mentioned elsewhere. We need that guy to start posting about the new Nvidia cards ;)

1601053893274.jpeg

Look at that - a queue system! It's almost like its 2020 or something.

EDIT: Got another one reserved. Total of 4. Over the coming weeks going to start cancelling the ones that might not/won't make Launch day.

Last edited:
Back