Championship Gaming Series (CGS) closes its doors.

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
http://thecgs.com/

thecgs.com said:
On November 18, 2008 BSkyB, STAR and DIRECTV ended their Championship Gaming Series® (CGS) business.

While the concept was ahead of its time and we are extremely proud of what we've accomplished, it became increasingly clear as this ambitious project evolved, that profitability was too far in the future for us to sustain operations in the interim.

Our goal was to be ahead of the curve in the e-sports space, and we conceived of CGS as a true sports league. We invested wholeheartedly in the venture and presented viewers with a top-notch production, but the economics just didn't add up for us at this time.

Our only regret is that we will lose a team of creative and talented individuals who invested their hearts and souls into Championship Gaming Series. We recognize their achievements and thank them for their hard work and passion.

BSkyB, STAR and DIRECTV continue to be committed to the video games sector, which is an important part of many of our customers' lives and a great source of entertainment.

Sincerely,

The CGS team

This was preceded by the Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) and World Series of Video Games (WSVG) both closing their doors. Apparently someone has acquired the CPL and plans to re-open though.

Your thoughts? Apparently nobody can turn a buck from "professional" gaming.

Professional gaming ain't nothing but a big scam. It's just about trying to attract kids to spend lots of money on video games and merchandise.

Sports I think are largely advertising based businesses. You have to have spectators to look at the ads, for there to be any value in buying ad space.

Personally, I don't watch people play videogames, I play them myself for entertainment.

I thought the whole idea of Ksharp (professional Counterstrike player) claiming he could make $40,000 playing video games was a bit absurd, but after seeing some of the crap these guys do, you wonder. If Manning can make $60 million on a 6 year contract, why cant Ksharp make his $40,000/year?

organized sports are a crock. its all about money
hey just like organized religion. good times.

lol, did CGS close down?
That means all the top CS:S players are out of high paying jobs, including ksharp, rambo, devour etc. Funny I wonder how this is going to affect all the 13yr dumbass kids who just want to be like those pro players and burn through their every spare hour practising this game. From personal experience having to practice at least 4-5 hours a day in deathmatches and scrims does not get you either money or a girlfriend.

The CPL was a pain in the ass to get your prize money from also would almost take till the next event to recieve a payment.. I tried that "PRO" player crap did a few cpls and wcgs and when cs 1.6 came out I quit playing.. I made alot of money with my friends just hussling local $1,000 to $2,000 dollar tournaments in the Seattle area...

CS is dead though you rarely see those tournaments going on now.. I just hope those guys in the CGS i use to play with and against had a backup plan.. IMO the only people making money in e-sports is Trevor aka midway owner of gotfrag and torbull with that esportsea.com besides that you're not going to make money playing game is way to inconsistant now to have another SK team who just demolishes every large international/usa event

I thought the whole idea of Ksharp (professional Counterstrike player) claiming he could make $40,000 playing video games was a bit absurd, but after seeing some of the crap these guys do, you wonder. If Manning can make $60 million on a 6 year contract, why cant Ksharp make his $40,000/year?

lol that ruination video.. the scene with Drax on train I was sitting next to him at that lan tournament when he got those shots

Drax and I were roommates for awhile

organized sports are a crock. its all about money
hey just like organized religion. good times.

What's life like living in a dungeon with no sunlight? I guess anything organized is a crock to you (governments, schools, ... girl scouts?)

so many good memories and familiar names.. even this one guy i played with back in beta 5.2, both of us HPB.. I was better than him too, damnit! and when 1.0 came out! But I went to a clan that my friend was in and we never made it past cal-m :-/ our teamwork and strats just werent good enough, though clutching rounds were always fun.

and I had no idea CPL / CAL died heh. CAL was never as fun as DoG and RiTD..

What's life like living in a dungeon with no sunlight? I guess anything organized is a crock to you (governments, schools, ... girl scouts?)

im sorry, when i see a fucker from an infomercial on the god damn sidelines being interviewed...

and religion. no comment needed there.

Back