Champions Online : Destroid Beta invasion w/pics!

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
This being the final day of beta testing before the game goes live, the entire are of Millenium City is being attacked by huge Destroids from Doctor Destroyer along with armies of smaller bots to lay waste to the city and destroy the champions who live there!

Here's are pics of our valiant fight that will continue until midnight PST then the severs will shut down. This is one time event only, wish us luck!!

EDIT: I will have a youtube video of our attack on this invasion sometime later tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_El5pGVHbb4

invasion1.jpg

invasion10.jpg

invasion11.jpg

invasion12.jpg

invasion14.jpg

invasion2.jpg

invasion3.jpg

invasion4.jpg

invasion5.jpg

invasion6.jpg

invasion7.jpg

invasion9.jpg

Heres a full 1680x1050 with no AA which I never run and black comic outline turned off

screenshot2009082414313.jpg

Last edited:
I've been running the game with max settings and AA does make a difference for me personally. I'd take some pics of that battle but my character is only level 10 so I don't think I can get to where all that fighting is in time to take some pics.

While I had fun initially, I'm undecided on this game at the moment. I've canceled my preorders twice now so I think I'm just going to wait. It feels too much like a single player game right now. I did buy Aion like a dumb ass (via Steam so no refund) and I really got burned out with the same old fantasy junk when I played it last beta. Meh.

I've been running the game with max settings and AA does make a difference for me personally. I'd take some pics of that battle but my character is only level 10 so I don't think I can get to where all that fighting is in time to take some pics.

If you go to Milleinum Citys heliport and talk to the commander on the pad, he will instantly boost you up to level 40 to fight! It ends at midnight PST, So get to it soldier!!

It def looks like comic book style art but I was mainly wondering if there was any AA because to me, it doesn't really look like there is.

It def looks like comic book style art but I was mainly wondering if there was any AA because to me, it doesn't really look like there is.

exactly what i thought when i first seen the pics. Everything looks fine except the massive amount of jaggies. It needs some AA badly lol

There is if you turn it on.

Alright, here's some picks at 1920x1200 with everything set to the highest...double textures, all AA, etc. etc. First are the two characters I made...and I wasn't flying in the last, just jumping.

gameclient2009082423291.jpg

gameclient2009082423292.jpg

gameclient2009082423384.jpg

gameclient2009082423390.jpg

gameclient2009082423402.jpg

gameclient2009082423413.jpg

Last edited:
Do the jaggies bother you guys at all. I look at the screenshots and it really bugs me :( Game looks fun though :)

Looks kind of neat TBH. Is this a city of heroes clone though? Or is there new fresh stuff.
'

Or is it a wow clone?

Do the jaggies bother you guys at all. I look at the screenshots and it really bugs me :( Game looks fun though :)

for me it really doesnt since i usually play online games with AA off just because i find it has a horrible effect on the Anti-lag features in FPS's when your fighting some one with a shitty arse computer it ends up causing you to lag even more.. but single player i usually have AA set to 2x since it still isnt that big of a deal to me..

I think the weird looking-ness of the first screenshots is some effect the tall robots have on them and some of the people are getting. You get this effect similarly on you when you're in the second newbie zone in the desert when you walk through their decontamination showers. I guess it's supposed to look like your covered in water, but it makes your character look very strange and looks very similar to the first screenshot pack.

Is it just those screenshots or do the graphics look terrible????

The game really looks bad. I played in the beta for 2 months, and by far the biggest deterrent for me, not getting retail, was the graphics. Plus the game really just didnt feel like city of heroes imo.

I think their were some pretty bad decisions made when going with this type of graphics. The color scheme they use and the cartoonish cell shade look they went for along with some realistic gfx really just jumble everything up. Its not a game at any point you will go "oooooooh, aaaaahhhh" at any scene.

I think the weird looking-ness of the first screenshots is some effect the tall robots have on them and some of the people are getting. You get this effect similarly on you when you're in the second newbie zone in the desert when you walk through their decontamination showers. I guess it's supposed to look like your covered in water, but it makes your character look very strange and looks very similar to the first screenshot pack.

Uhh, thats because of my ice attacks on the Destroid so it makes it look "frozen"

Those level 40 mega destroids seemed to have eleventybillion hit points. Took groups of 20+ people 20-40+ minutes to kill, give or take. There was a level 28 mega destroid that went down faster. The frame rates got crazy slow off and on. Was interesting to take them on though!

Honestly, however, I think the game really needs at least two weeks to a full month of more testing before going live. Performance issues are the chief complaint -- I'm on a i7 920 w/6GB RAM and 8800 GTS 512's in SLI and it gets pokey at higher resolutions sometime. Some stability issues need to be addressed and massive problems with quests have not been fixed, even after repeated attempts. Not really ready for prime time IMO.

The game looks and plays a lot better in motion. Also, in beta they turned off a bunch of effects. Even with my "problematic" ATI card where AA/AF were disabled, it still looks good if you don't mind the very "comic-y" cell shading.

The game is not even remotely ready for production. I cancelled my pre-order after Cryptic completely lied through their teeth about the lifetime and 6 month subscriptions. I'm just not willing to give up my cash for a game that isn't even close to ready for launch when they treat customers like that.

Many quests are bugged to the point of being impossible, or just so buggy you'll give up in frustration. Instance lag was atrocious till they halved the limits - then shrunk them again. Open beta keeps being extended because of significant problems. The PvP queues have yet to work anywhere resembling reliably - admin announcing a queue restart every hour or two has been a constant. People have found that turning off the UI instantly results in a drastic framerate improvement - often as much as doubling. You can only get to about 30 before your only method of progression is repeatable quests. (The level 30-40 zones including Lemuria and Monster Island will not be available for several weeks still.) The developers have continually made HUGE changes in gameplay repeatedly. Many closed beta people I know have complained bitterly that open beta is decidedly not the game they tested. IRC is flooded with customer service complaints, especially surrounding billing and being completely unable to get answers beyond "someone will email you at a later date."

I really wanted to like Champions. I tried like hell. But it's just so bad, and Cryptic is once again treating their customers like a bunch of idiots, that I can't get behind any part of it.

The game is not even remotely ready for production. I cancelled my pre-order after Cryptic completely lied through their teeth about the lifetime and 6 month subscriptions. I'm just not willing to give up my cash for a game that isn't even close to ready for launch when they treat customers like that.

I really wanted to like Champions. I tried like hell. But it's just so bad, and Cryptic is once again treating their customers like a bunch of idiots, that I can't get behind any part of it.

+1 on these comments, cryptic and especially Nerfsman became quite well known for dishoesty when they were the developers on COH. They are obviously just trying to rush this turd out and get the $50 per copy before it crashes and burns and gets killed by DC Universe.

The game sucks and the graphic sucks and yes i was in beta for a long time.

Got invited like 8months ago I know someone who works at Cryptic. Feel bad for them ,huge flop incoming.

The game sucks and the graphic sucks and yes i was in beta for a long time.

Got invited like 8months ago I know someone who works at Cryptic. Feel bad for them ,huge flop incoming.

yeah, also in beta for months, not a good game coming out IMO.

+1 on these comments, cryptic and especially Nerfsman became quite well known for dishoesty when they were the developers on COH. They are obviously just trying to rush this turd out and get the $50 per copy before it crashes and burns and gets killed by DC Universe.

Tell me about it. I am more than a little familiar with the folks who are still working on CoX. I wouldn't trust Posi to put out an MMO, ever. But since Jack and the rest bailed on them for the shiny new game, the CoX team suddenly turned significantly more honest. I've been lucky enough to have many discussions with many developers in the past, off the record, that let us talk frankly and honestly about the game.
I don't think DCU poses the least bit of threat to CoX or CO; the only thing that can kill CoX is Paragon Studios. CO's in the middle of committing hari kari by way of bad press, or at least attempting it. And DCU? DCU's not a competitor for one simple reason - DCU will play completely differently from both CoX and CO. That doesn't mean it's doomed to fail, just that it won't be poaching customers.

Paragon still has terminal ostrich syndrome, especially with AE, but I'm not convinced in the least that any of the people Jack took with him contributed a damn thing to CoX in the end. Forget the accusations of Statesnerf and so on - welcome to MMOs, nerfs will happen, deal with it. (That's _Castle_'s department mostly anyways, and he and I have talked a lot in the past.) Jack and his team were the ones who insisted on hiding the numbers among other things, and I'm honestly convinced at this point that their reason for stonewalling many things in CoX was so they could be "innovative" with their new project.

The other solid point to make about CO being a failure of development is that this game has already been delayed by months twice. Not only has it been delayed twice, a few days before open beta, all references to the promised Xbox 360 version were removed from the website. This is critically important, because not only is the 360 expensive to develop for, it was also their best bet for guaranteed sales. They have no competition there. Then abruptly, it's gone, and I had two different Cryptic staff tell me off the record that the 360 players would be completely separated from the PC players - when they had been bragging that everyone would be in one giant world.

I'm still on the edge...but reading so many negative things...and I honestly can't see paying for a box then a game monthly (I did AoC but I liked that game a lot and got the CE for $10 new).

Now the debacle over the 6-month and lifetime subs mysteriously running dry days before the drop dead date. That one has a bunch of people all pissed off. I was holding off until this weekend and *was* about 75% sure I was going to give the game a try and grab a lifetime sub. Not anymore. Really wished they beta tested this another month and offered more lifetime subs -- that would likely push me >75% LOL.

I'm loving this game, ran all over last night looking for the preorder so I could get into the headstart. Every Gamestop and Best Buy were sold out :/ I ended up getting lucky though one of my buddies found the last 2 copies out where he lives and is going to send me the code for headstart!

So tired of WoW and fantasy crap this game is something new, haven't stayed up all night playing a game in freakin forever...feels good! Haha

P.S if you don't like the comic book style turn off the comic book outline and turn bloom to low instead of high. Game looks fantastic in person like this. The bloom is way overdone. I guess to make it look more "comicy"

Back