Chairmat on thick padded carpet

Discussion in 'Gaming & Office Furniture' started by Edgar, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Edgar

Edgar 2[H]4U

Hello,
    Anyone know of a chairmat that is sturdy enough to stay straight and not bend on thick padded carpet? Hopefully with reasonable cost?

Chair mat I have was meant for a hardwood floor so it sinks my chair in because the carpet padding is so thick. Would like something that stays put and won't sink in.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. w35t

w35t Gawd

3. Edgar

Edgar 2[H]4U

That glass does look slick. but man is it expensive.

4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

i googled "ultra thick office chair mat" that's what came up...

Edgar likes this.
  5. darkknight302

darkknight302 n00bie

If you have a Costco near you, they got a great one for about $20 I think. I have a carpeted floor and it works great.

6. Artex

Artex [H]Lite

I'm after one of these as well. I have yet to find one that hasn't cracked.

7. Joust

Joust Limp Gawd

I used that chair mat from Costco - it worked well for a significant time, but ultimately cracked with long term use. Good news - for $20, getting a replacement every so long isn't so bad.

8. JeffBlair

JeffBlair Limp Gawd

What I ended up doing is getting a box of Pergo from Home Depot, and some glue. I made a little floor for my chair. Works out pretty well.

9. margrave

margrave [H]Lite

Don't use glass on a thick carpet. You'll just flatten the carpet. Better to use the kind with long spikes. The glass ones won't have that. Only the plastic ones will. I found one at Office Depot for around $50.

Or even better ... take out the carpet in that area.

10. Krispy Kritter

Krispy Kritter Limp Gawd

The plastic mats come in different thicknesses based on what they will be place onto. Office Max, the last time the needed a mat, had 4 or 5 different versions. I'm using the thickest one they sold and I've had it for at least 5 years now without any issues (over a med pyle carpet with padding).

11. margrave

margrave [H]Lite

Earlier this week I found a mat at Costco for around $16. One that's meant for thick carpet, up to 3/4 inch. You can't beat that price.

I used to buy these long ago at around that price at Sams Club. But Sams stopped carrying the ones meant for thick carpet. They only stocked the ones for thin carpet.

Then our local Sams shut down in Jan, so we moved to Costco. That's where I found a thick-carpet styled mat. I don't need one right now, but next time ...

I wish I'd known about this sooner. I bought a $50 mat from Office Depot a year ago, and an $80 one from an online manufacturer a year earlier.

You know what? The expensive ones are no better than the cheap Sams Club variety. And I'm guessing the cheap Costco ones are good, too.