Chair mat for carpeted floor?

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
Rolling chair. Thick carpet. Bad combo.

My only experience with chair mats was about 20 years ago when my mother had a relatively thin piece of plastic she unrolled and laid down under the desk. It's been decades. Surely there's better stuff out there. Can anyone recommend a good, large mat to shove under my chair so that I can roll without tipping?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have been searching for one too. This one has my attention but is more expensive.

I bought this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EGXMUA/) in Feb 2014 and it is finally starting to crack this year in some spots. Literally use it every day for work and play. I'll need to replace it in a year or two I think once the cracks start to get in the way of rolling around. Highly recommended. It lasted way longer than the cheaper mats I used to get from Staples.

I buy the cheap $50 ones on Amazon that are made for carpet. They last a few years before cracking, then buy another.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZNTADS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s reinforced glass rated at 1000 lbs. I was replacing the plastic chair mats very couple of years and this thing has put an end to that. I’m in my office chair probably 12 hours per day so this was worth it for me.

Didn't know this animal existed. I may have to try that next. Although it made of glass wigs me out a bit. Cracks in polycarbonate seem less threatening.

I buy the cheap $50 ones on Amazon that are made for carpet. They last a few years before cracking, then buy another.

Didn't know this animal existed. I may have to try that next. Although it made of glass wigs me out a bit. Cracks in polycarbonate seem less threatening.

I’ve dropped screwdrivers on it and it hasn’t even chipped. It weighs like 50 lbs.

How is it different sorry ?
They have little teeth that goes into the carpet (cannot be use on hard floor), because there is like 180 of them it create quite a good friction and removed for me all movement (while I had to replace my previous regular chair mat like twice a day)

I never removed it long enough to see if the carpet mat mark goes away after a while (but they are compression mark like desk legs and not a tear because it really did not move) I imagine it would be a carpet by carpet affair

They have little teeth that goes into the carpet (cannot be use on hard floor), because there is like 180 of them it create quite a good friction and removed for me all movement (while I had to replace my previous regular chair mat like twice a day)

I never removed it long enough to see if the carpet mat mark goes away after a while (but they are compression mark like desk legs and not a tear because it really did not move) I imagine it would be a carpet by carpet affair

Thank you sounds good!

I use one of the extra mats that we purchased for the home gym floor, they're made of recycled tires and are very heavy, 3'^2. You can buy them from a number of manufacturers.

The linked item's idea of "carpet":
Screenshot 2023-08-27 094503.png

Friend got some, the only thing they dont really work all that well on is a really deep shag, your average carpet you'd find in a house though? not a problem.
After pulling a 5" splinter out of my foot from the wooden mat I spent WAY too much money on, I've decided to give this a shot. If it doesn't work well enough, I may end up picking up a glass mat.

edit: Update: They are better than stock rollers, but still suck. You have to basically lift yourself off the chair to roll it. No bueno. Glass mat, here I come.

Last edited:
The linked item's idea of "carpet":
View attachment 594030
That's office carpet. I have hardwood in my home office and I put a rug that's basically made of office carpet on top of it. Protects the wood from my chair and makes my chair roll "correctly". Wood is too fast and the finish gets wrecked, thick carpet is too slow or just gets stuck, office carpet is just right.

Huh. Didn't expect to see this in my feed. Ended up buying a glass mat. The wheels were a minor improvement, but not good enough to actually roll the chair while I was sitting in it.
IMG_3466.jpeg

Glass mat + wheel review? Slick as snot. It's like going from a ball mouse to a teflon-footed laser mouse on a RatPad. Great stuff.

Huh. Didn't expect to see this in my feed. Ended up buying a glass mat. The wheels were a minor improvement, but not good enough to actually roll the chair while I was sitting in it.
View attachment 637238

Glass mat + wheel review? Slick as snot. It's like going from a ball mouse to a teflon-footed laser mouse on a RatPad. Great stuff.
Just got one with a beveled edge too. Expensive, but nice. I already have a glass top desk, so thematically it works.

Personally got tired of tearing through expensive polycarbonate snake oil. Don't know why I waited this long to try a glass mat. If this glass mat lasts 5 years, it will pay for itself.

Back