CFX 6950 Users, what are your temps? Running Hot on one!

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Got my new pair of Powercolor 2GB 6950s in today and decided to fire up 3D Mark 11 to see where they sit compared to my 6870s that they replaced. I was shocked to see that my bottom GPU was around 50-52C throughout the whole run, while the top GPU was around 86-88C! :eek: Idle is 34C for bottom card and 43C for top card

What are your CFX 6950 temps for bottom and top cards? Also is it normal for the card to get that hot or for there to be that big of a difference in temps from the top and bottom cards? My CFX 6870s were always within 5-7C of each other, but here it's 35C+ Difference! I havent tried switching the cards around or any games yet. Wanted to get some comparison numbers first before I tore the system back down.

**EDIT** I should mention that I do have a custom fan profile setup in Afterburner and the top card's fan was at 100% the whole time, while the bottom fan was right around 63%

Ok now I'm really confused.

I switched the cards around and now both cards are idling around 35-36C and both are around 55-58C during 3D Mark 11 ... :eek::confused: What's going on here? Does switching the cards around really make that huge of a difference or are my sensors screwed up

I can say that running Crysis / Crysis Warhead, I sustain 90C on both cards for the duration of the gaming session, and on the desktop they both are around 35 - 40 C.

Definitely not a significant variance in temperature between the two boards.

I can say that running Crysis / Crysis Warhead, I sustain 90C on both cards for the duration of the gaming session, and on the desktop they both are around 35 - 40 C.

Definitely not a significant variance in temperature between the two boards.

What are your fan speeds at when they're at 90 degrees - just curious.

Yeah, after switching the cards around they both stay under 60C and fan speeds right around 50-55% during Heaven DX11 Bench, 3D Mark 11, BFBC2, MOH, Brink, etc. Not sure why the switch made that big of a difference but glad everything works now :D.

Fan speeds never go much above 60% to 75%. Never have seem them get to 100%, which is good on the noise front. I would expect in the winter that everything would be a bit lower. No stability issues with anything running at those temps, so can't really complain.

I think running F@H on both the CPU (2600k @ 4.3 GHz) and each GPU might cause a temporal vortex though...

3DMark 11 with overclocked 6950's and 6970 shaders.

Top never goes over 66, bottom never higher than 60 with 52% fan speed. Room temp is 22C

Idling at 51 and 40 respectively.

Back