CF 6950 2GB vs single GTX 670

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
As the title alludes to, I'm trying to determine how much of a side/up/down-grade this move would be, I'm currently running two unlocked/OC'd 6950's in CF (so they'd be close to stock 6970s I guess) at either 5760x1200 or 3600x1920 depending on the game...

I'm considering selling them for a simpler single card setup in the GTX 670 but I can't quite figure out how the two setups would compare, I'm trying to cross reference old & new reviews on HardOCP but varying settings and configurations across tested cards/games is making it hard, any input?

I think if I can sell them for like $180 each and performance is comparable it'd be worthwhile, I'd basically pony up $40 for a more hassle free setup and I'd gain an upgrade path via a second 670 in the future...

System is an OC'd 2500K w/8GB of RAM, 3X 1920x1200 displays, etc.; I really need to update my sig.

i think a single 670 should be able to do 3600x1920 but not with everything maxxed

670 is a little slower than a stock 7970, and a 7970 is about 40% faster than a 6950 (maybe more at high resolutions), so I'd guess a single 670 is maybe 75% of the 6950s? So it would depend on how much it cost you and how much you want to ditch CrossFire.

I just replaced my CF 6870's with a 670 yesterday. The 6870's were only overclocked a tiny bit, hardly enough to mention. Actual framerates seem pretty close between the two setups, maybe my 670 oc'd is a bit ahead. So I would guess overclocked 6950's would be a good 15-20% faster on average than a decently overclocked 670. I think, if it were me, I would keep the 6950's if everything was working well.

unlocked 6950's in cf will definitely be faster than the 670 and the better choice for multi-display gaming. i would stick with the cards a bit longer, you only have about 5-6 months before the next series of cards come out from AMD and Nvidia which will be the cards worth looking at.

You would have lower fps, but that isn't the only thing that matters.

I would rather have the single gpu instead of two 6950's. You should really be looking at a GTX680 or HD7970 with the intent of overclocking.

Hmm, sounds like it'd be mostly a slight but tangible downgrade outside of new games with CF issues, and right now I'm playing a decent amount of SC2 which I can't even run in EF anyway (any idea if Diablo 3 will do EF?), along with some older games that are playing along fine with CF/EF...

So yeah, I guess I'll stay put for now, maybe skip this gen unless a big title pushes me to upgrade earlier (or competition drops prices further). Thanks for your thoughts!

Hmm, I didn't realize GK110 could be out by year's end, I guess I will definitely end up skipping this gen.. Altho I'd settle for a 670/680 as a sub-$300 760 rebadge by year's end. :p (hell I'd spring for two at under $300!) GPU timeliness seem to be compressing and extending a lot over the last few years, used to be more consistent... Guess NV might beat AMD to the next launch / gen for once.

You would have lower fps, but that isn't the only thing that matters.

I would rather have the single gpu instead of two 6950's. You should really be looking at a GTX680 or HD7970 with the intent of overclocking.

Even that would still be mostly a side grade tho, yeah I'd prefer the single card solution too but I'm not gonna spend $140+ on a side grade... (after selling my current 6950s) Rather just save it for the next big $400-600 GPU upgrade.

Last edited:
Yup, either keep ur 6950CF, get the 680 / 7970 now, or save up for a GK110 / top end Sea Islands single GPU card.

Back