Ceton networked tuners

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know the status? I know that there was firmware in a closed beta that enabled this, but I haven't been able to find any updates on its status any more recent than October or so of last year. My new mini-ITX case doesn't have an expansion slot so I'd like to put the tuner in my home server and share the tuners over the network

I know, I went over to TGB... or at least tried to... to see what was going on and was greeted by that monstrosity. what a joke, I can't believe they nuked a perfectly good resource for thousands of loyal 7MC users

Reading up on that thread, its kind of hard to tell exactly what needs to be done. i'll have to go through it more carefully after work. I had already found the link mentined in that thread but the software that makes the actual sharing work was pulled, and has been for months. So many users of this product are tech people, Ceton should just open up their beta. I'm getting seriously tired of waiting for this goddamn company (4+ months personally for the hardware, and its been 9 months since it started first shipping for the software...)

Last edited:
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/115/t/99492.aspx

That is what used to be the Green button - I don't think its out yet but its coming.

Sharing is stupid though - every PC should be an extender. Someone needs to yell at Ballmer seriously. Pissing away any chance to own the living room just so he can sell XBOXes? Wouldn't it be cooler to watch TV on a windows tablet..what a moron..

LOL @ This guy calling Steve Ballmer a moron

hopefully news of the HDHomeRun Prime will light a fire under Ceton's lazy asses.. I want my tuner sharing, and I want it out of beta dammit!

hopefully news of the HDHomeRun Prime will light a fire under Ceton's lazy asses.. I want my tuner sharing, and I want it out of beta dammit!

lazy? huh? How are they lazy? I use this product and really damn happy with it. It saved me $16.00 a month from comcast to be able to get HD programs and record them. Plus 4 tuners... and all i had to do was get a cable card!

Considering they are (at present) the only company that makes a card you can install into a windows 7 box (and still support it) and make work w/ 98% of cable co's out there and not charge you a monthly fee... I think there job is well done.

lazy? huh? How are they lazy? I use this product and really damn happy with it. It saved me $16.00 a month from comcast to be able to get HD programs and record them. Plus 4 tuners... and all i had to do was get a cable card!

Considering they are (at present) the only company that makes a card you can install into a windows 7 box (and still support it) and make work w/ 98% of cable co's out there and not charge you a monthly fee... I think there job is well done.
i also use this product and am pretty happy with it.. however, they've been promising this feature for almost a year now, and the hardware was delayed many many times. maybe not lazy, but they're hardly punctual..

Email Ceton tech support and ask to have your serial added to beta firmware list.

They will send you an email with a link and directions :)

LOL @ This guy calling Steve Ballmer a moron

Only you think this is funny. The rest of us are saddened by Microsoft's failure. If I want to watch live TV on a mobile platform the easiest solution is to get an IPAD2. That runs a time warner and comcast "app" which lets you watch live TV.

This is a strange twist of fate considering Microsoft has had a WMC platform for umpteen years ..

It's the same in other markets though from the mobile world to the living room pretty much the only market that Microsoft has conquered is the same one Bill Gates created for them. Microsoft has been going down hill ever since he left. Who would have ever thought that Apple would be the bigger more succesful company? Crazy.

Back to the Ceton tuner - the only reason people really want tuner sharing is because you can't extend on PCs. if you could you wouldn't really need tuner sharing that badly. So its retarded in a the typical Microsoft way.. Make something pretty good then leave it half assed. it's the kind of thing smart engineers end up doing.. More often then not. Oh sure Pete we could do this and that but our boss told us not to for "marketing" reasons. This is no doubt what any engineer at Microsoft would say to you when you asked him about various limitations.

It's bungled worse then people realize..

Did you know you can't even watched non-copy protected recordings till they are finished recording on other PCs? (With a microsoft solution). That seems just mean spirited but its against their OWN PRODUCTS..

Microsoft is full of head scratching decisions like this - and its because while it has good engineers (I have no doubt in ONE DAY they could turn every windows 7 PC into perfect extenders and do the same with windows phone) it has a bozo as a leader.

I think most people see the whole kin abortion in the mobile market the same way.. Ballmer doesn't have a clear vision and this is why things go awry..

Only you think this is funny. The rest of us are saddened by Microsoft's failure. If I want to watch live TV on a mobile platform the easiest solution is to get an IPAD2. That runs a time warner and comcast "app" which lets you watch live TV.

This is a strange twist of fate considering Microsoft has had a WMC platform for umpteen years ..

Actually, it really doesn't surprise me at all TBH. This is the cableco's fault because they're all hyper-paranoid about piracy. The true irony is that it'd be easier to pirate most of the stuff than it is to pay to use it the way you want. Apple's iOS is locked down and has no freedom at all.. you just pay Comcast and they deliver the content to you exactly how they want and you just have to take it because there are no alternatives.

Back to the Ceton tuner - the only reason people really want tuner sharing is because you can't extend on PCs. if you could you wouldn't really need tuner sharing that badly. So its retarded in a the typical Microsoft way.. Make something pretty good then leave it half assed. it's the kind of thing smart engineers end up doing.. More often then not. Oh sure Pete we could do this and that but our boss told us not to for "marketing" reasons. This is no doubt what any engineer at Microsoft would say to you when you asked him about various limitations.

Again, I suspect that a lot of the limitations are imposed by Cable Labs and the content providers. MS also was trying to create a branded hardware market in the form of "WMC certified" media extenders. When it flopped they just didn't bother opening up the functionality.. again, most likely due to them deciding its not worth the DRM hassle.

I just want my tuners working in my minimalist ITX box :(

anyone else have trouble setting this up.....i ran the wizard, but afterwards my htpc cannot find any tuners.....i have to reset everything to the factory defaults and rediscover to get them back.

Hey, did you ever get a Zacate/InfiniTV setup running? What about using a Zacate box as an extender? Watching prices slowly fall on the e-350 boards and getting the itch to just build 4 of them for the house so everyone will stop whining about the crappy STB's.

Hey, did you ever get a Zacate/InfiniTV setup running? What about using a Zacate box as an extender? Watching prices slowly fall on the e-350 boards and getting the itch to just build 4 of them for the house so everyone will stop whining about the crappy STB's.

Holy hell... a Zacate and an InfiniTV? Will that even work? The minimum reqs for the Ceton card are a 2.0ghz dual core processor, and a 2.7ghz dual core is the recommended. A Zacate doesn't even meet the minimums, and its also a stripped down slower K8 core...

Yes, but the min req's are known to be overly generous. the Ceton is for obvious reasons, more GPU intensive, precisely where the Zacates excel. As a secondary option it would be nice to at least use them as extenders with individual tuners farmed out to them by a more full featured HTPC/Media server.

Back