[CES2015] ASUS MG279Q 2560 x 1440 Gamer 120Hz IPS 5ms GTG

Of course this will come just as I'm (in theory) expecting to finally receive my 27" 1440p 120 Hz IPS monitor within a week. But I'm sure this will cost a lot more.

2560x1440 IPS, 120Hz, supports Adaptive sync/Freesync out of the box. The best part is the price, $599.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/...2560x1440-IPS-120-Hz-Variable-Refresh-Monitor

...it is the first display that publicly supports Adaptive Sync and DP 1.2a+ but does not have an affiliation with either branded variable refresh rate technology. As it turns out though, that isn't bad news.

...The monitor supports DP 1.2a+ and Adaptive Sync which leads us too the fact that this monitor will work with AMD Radeon graphics cards and operate at a variable refresh rate. After talking with AMD's Robert Hallock at the show, he confirmed that AMD will not have a whitelist/blacklist policy for FreeSync displays and that as long as a monitor adheres to the standards of DP 1.2a+ then they will operate in the variable refresh rate window as defined by the display's EDID.

So, as described by the ASUS reps on hand, this panel will have a minimum refresh of around 40 Hz and a maximum of 120 Hz, leaving a sizeable window for variable refresh to work it's magic.

This is why adhering to open industry standards is good. :)

I'm curious how different this is than the over clocked Korean monitors. My overclocked one was still blurry at 120hz in fast moving scenes, which I assume is due to IPS.

I'm curious how different this is than the over clocked Korean monitors. My overclocked one was still blurry at 120hz in fast moving scenes, which I assume is due to IPS.

Ya, I don't see how they are going to get past that. While 120Hz IPS certainly feels smoother, the motion clarity still leaves much to be desired. :(

Ya, I don't see how they are going to get past that. While 120Hz IPS certainly feels smoother, the motion clarity still leaves much to be desired. :(

I'm not worried about it, especially since many of the gamers who criticize non-TN's pixel response times happily play with massive amounts of screen tearing on monitors with low PWM frequencies. AHVA/IPS/PLS haters can buy the PG278Q or BenQ equivalent. The matte coating is the main thing to worry about.

Last edited:
The FG2421 shows that not only TN panels are able to achieve near CRT motion. Hopefully this one will be able to also.

I'm not worried about it, especially since many of the gamers who criticize non-TN's pixel response times happily play with massive amounts of screen tearing on monitors with low PWM frequencies. AHVA/IPS/PLS haters can buy the PG278Q or BenQ equivalent. The matte coating is the main thing to worry about.

Asus or some other display maker should just add a glossy variant to the same panel, so people who prefer crystal clear displays have a better option to choose.

This is the monitor of the show so far though as far as I'm concerned. Too bad we won't have oled monitors anytime soon, so this is the best we can hope for.

IPS isn't THAT slow, with good overdrive it's very decent and has more consistent transitions than VA at least (which is even slower and yet they managed to make a decent 120hz panel with blur reduction on top of it, at the expense of some input lag).

The cheap Korean monitors have no overdrive at all as far as I know (or very little), the Tempest version may have some but it's not much (and it still performs decently) There is nothing to worry about here, only the input lag might be an issue with the amount of overdrive necessary. Of course I'm not expecting it to perform as good as the Swift motion-clarity wise.

Last edited:
The FG2421 shows that not only TN panels are able to achieve near CRT motion. Hopefully this one will be able to also.

That is 100% because of strobing, though. Turn if off and it's as blurry as an ips.
The new high refresh ahva panel has some model with gsync (and therefore also strobing?) so that should be good.
This model just seems like asus trying to get a cut of the "overclock" ips market.

It could still be much better than the korea brands, since they have poor/no overdrive, and good overdrive matters much more than forcing a high refereshrate that the panel can't handle properly anyway.
Even so, in 2015, a model without gsync/freesync/strobing/other low persistence tech is just a budget offering, its not going to be anyones dream monitor.

Last edited:
That is 100% because of strobing, though. Turn if off and it's as blurry as an ips.
The new high refresh ahva panel has some model with gsync (and therefore also strobing?) so that should be good.
This model just seems like asus trying to get a cut of the "overclock" ips market.

It could still be much better than the korea brands, since they have poor/no overdrive, and good overdrive matters much more than forcing a high refereshrate that the panel can't handle properly anyway.
Even so, in 2015, a model without gsync/freesync/strobing/other low persistence tech is just a budget offering, its not going to be anyones dream monitor.

Yeah I forgot to mention the backlight strobing. Some claim that IPS isn't fast enough for strobing but hey if a VA panel can do it then maybe this can too. *crosses fingers*

The cheap Korean monitors have no overdrive at all as far as I know (or very little), the Tempest version may have some but it's not much (and it still performs decently).

Of course they have overdrive, they just don't have silly overshoot ghosting inducing overdrive controls or pointless overdrive settings which slow down the pixel response times like most of the name brand monitors. The Qnix/X-Star are pretty much the same as the Asus PB278Q (Trace Free 20; higher settings cause overshoot) and Samsung S27A850D (Response Time Off) while the MOTV/Overlord/Yamakasi (same monitor in different casings) are only slightly slower that the fastest AHVA/IPS/PLS, but are free from overshoot ghosting.

I've tested 3x S-IPS Korean monitors (overclock-able MOTV, Yamakasi and multi-input Crossover 2720MDP) which use the same panel and have identical pixel response times.

The LG 27MB85R-B is one of the fastest AHVA/IPS/PLS panels (2nd overdrive setting) and is a bit faster than the S-IPS panels.

27MB85R-B oscilloscope measurements

2720MDP oscilloscope measurements

The Qnix/X-Star are pretty much the same as the S27A850D, though the units which use PWM are obviously inferior.

S27A850D oscilloscope measurements (1st set of measurements=Response Time Off)

Last edited:

I tried going back to a regular non strobed 60hz va panel and it was simply unbearable to me... the motion blur was just too much to handle.

For fps games and third person games it was extremely noticeable as there is motion going on 99% of the time.

For movies it was fine but once you go for near CRT motion 120hz you can't go back, at least for gaming.

I tried going back to a regular non strobed 60hz va panel and it was simply unbearable to me... the motion blur was just too much to handle.

For fps games and third person games it was extremely noticeable as there is motion going on 99% of the time.

For movies it was fine but once you go for near CRT motion 120hz you can't go back, at least for gaming.

Yeah I'm really hoping that this is capable of ULMB otherwise I'll check out BenQ and Acer's 1440p 144hz TN offerings to see if they offer it since I value the CRT motion over IPS colors when it comes to gaming.

Of course they have overdrive, they just don't have silly overshoot ghosting inducing overdrive controls or pointless overdrive settings which slow down the pixel response times like most of the name brand monitors. The Qnix/X-Star are pretty much the same as the Asus PB278Q (Trace Free 20; higher settings cause overshoot) and Samsung S27A850D (Response Time Off) while the MOTV/Overlord/Yamakasi (same monitor in different casings) are only slightly slower that the fastest AHVA/IPS/PLS, but are free from overshoot ghosting.

I've tested 3x S-IPS Korean monitors (overclock-able MOTV, Yamakasi and multi-input Crossover 2720MDP) which use the same panel and have identical pixel response times.

A couple things:

1) When speaking about the QNIX it is essential to specify whether you are talking about the multi-input or DVI-only version, as they are different monitors despite having identical model numbers

2) The Yamakasi and Overlord monitors actually contain H-IPS panels. This has been verified by checking the model numbers written on the panels after removing the housing. The reference fo S-IPS on Witech's website appears to be a mistake.

3) I really quite like your reviews on wecravegamestoo.com but, for the future, I recommend that you consider opening up your monitor housing, checking the exact panel numbers via the labels, and specifying these panel models in your review. Just saying an "8 Bit LG S-IPS" is unforunately not specific enough, because, AFAIK, multiple 27-inch 'DVI-only" IPS panels are compatible with overclocking...some are H-IPS, others are S-IPS.

I havent ever noticed motion blur on my 2713hm and the response times arent that great. I would think this monitor is going to be fine.

but I have been on IPS for years, maybe I am just used to it.

It's really only obvious if you start comparing IPS to a strobed TN like the ROG Swift. Motion blur is usually fairly subtle, and many games of course add their own blur so it's not necessarily something you absolutely have to get rid of. I have a U2713HM and have tested various monitors like the ROG Swift. The difference can be pretty jarring between 60 Hz IPS and Strobed 120 Hz TN, and not necessarily instantly positive. To me the super fast respose feels unnatural if there's zero blur added. It takes time to get used to. While I absolutely believe higher refresh rate is better, I do see why so many people like to claim blurry 30 FPS image as more "cinematic".

Pcper.com stated that the cost is around 600 dollars and shipping late Q1. Have anyone seen this monitor show up on pre-order pages anywhere?

Pcper.com stated that the cost is around 600 dollars and shipping late Q1. Have anyone seen this monitor show up on pre-order pages anywhere?

Seeing how the Swift's release date was nowhere near what Asus stated I'd really doubt the Q1 release for this monitor.

So legit 120Hz IPS is finally here, something to waste the tax check on I reckon.

Seeing how the Swift's release date was nowhere near what Asus stated I'd really doubt the Q1 release for this monitor.

Does not mean this will be delayed. The Swift's panel was deigned from the ground up for the Swift in mind for a start. This AUO IPS panel has been announced for quite a while now.

You can see on the videos that it is "semi glossy" so that's better than a strong matte at least.

especially since many of the gamers who criticize non-TN's pixel response times happily play with massive amounts of screen tearing on monitors with low PWM frequencies.

Just two general questions, but if this tearing present even with F/G-sync on? And I thought that little/no PWM was good?

It appears there is little to no glow on the screen as well. Maybe the camera can't capture it, or maybe the AUO panels have solved it.

It appears there is little to no glow on the screen as well. Maybe the camera can't capture it, or maybe the AUO panels have solved it.

asus-mg279q.jpg

Does look like it has some IPS glow as you can see on the gun.... But this should still be the best PC monitor out this year and should last until OLED or better LCD screens come out anyway... It would be better if this was VA screen with ULMB and freesync but this will be the next best thing.

asus-mg279q.jpg

Does look like it has some IPS glow as you can see on the gun.... But this should still be the best PC monitor out this year and should last until OLED or better LCD screens come out anyway... It would be better if this was VA screen with ULMB and freesync but this will be the next best thing.

That's not glow, that's IPS black levels combined with the coating. :D

Why won't they offer a full glossy version? They could market it as having twice the picture quality and contrast ratio over the matte one and the other 120hz 1440p IPS monitors, if there's any, and even increase the price.

asus-mg279q.jpg

It will effectively have Freesync, since Freesync is essentially Adaptive Sync but with an AMD-guaranteed gamut.
http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/...2560x1440-IPS-120-Hz-Variable-Refresh-Monitor

That's some nice pricing.

Now I'm torn if I should order xb270HU or wait for reviews to see if Asus has working overdrive

If this is accurate that all freesync displays cannot use overdrive at the same time as variable refresh rate then that means Gsync is a lot better. The asus does not officially support freesync so it might be that you are just getting a 120hz screen that doesn't work very well with freesync.

Last edited:
So excited to get my hands on this monitor. Come on Amazon, get them in stock!

If this is true, Asus really misled us and dropped the ball. They came out and announced how the monitor was now 144hz certified, but if the Freesync range is way below that, who cares.

I never expect a lot with things that are free in general:D

freesync doesn't compare with gsync, glad that we can put that to rest.

Back