[CES2015] ASUS MG279Q 2560 x 1440 Gamer 120Hz IPS 5ms GTG

Good thing is that Monitors like this (IPS) are slowly coming \ being available.

Bad thing is that they will take forever to be released :p

Good thing is that Monitors like this (IPS) are slowly coming \ being available.

Bad thing is that they will take forever to be released :p

pcper updated some info on this monitor including a price and release date. $599 and launching Q1 this year so the wait isn't too bad. But hey if this ends up being like the PG278Q I wouldn't be surprised seeing this monitor delayed to Q3/Q4 :mad:

I highly doubt Q1 if Asus is saying late Q2. Asus themselves are usually really optimistic, not pessimistic.

I wonder how low they can get the motion blur down on this screen... I say only around 9ms MPRT. (not that good)

Hey Vega, are you still offering your de-matte service? I may need you for this one!!

Hey Vega, are you still offering your de-matte service? I may need you for this one!!

This spring-summer ya, will have to analyze the market with all these new displays coming out.

I wonder if all these Asus displays will be full matte like the Swift.

It supportrs 120Hz...albeit the 5ms GTG response time is questionable for an IPS panel. No point if it's only made possible for certain colour transitions, and with the application of a buttload of overdrive

Hey Black Octagon, looks like we may have found a proper successor to our Tempests! Hopefully this doesn't put Scribby out of business! :D

Hey Black Octagon, looks like we may have found a proper successor to our Tempests! Hopefully this doesn't put Scribby out of business! :D

I ran my Korean at 110hz as well (sometimes 120hz), but switched to the 144hz Swift. It is MILES better..

The Swift colors are terrible, but it was worth the switch. 144hz is so much more usable than 110-120.

Ah, I don't game anywhere near enough anymore to replace my gaming display more than once every 5 years or so. I'll still wait for OLED, fool's errand though it might be.

I ran my Korean at 110hz as well (sometimes 120hz), but switched to the 144hz Swift. It is MILES better..

The Swift colors are terrible, but it was worth the switch. 144hz is so much more usable than 110-120.

I was definitely tempted to go nVidia/Swift. In fact if the Swift was available without the matte coating I probably would have pulled the trigger. However, at this point I am glad I decided to wait. At the end of the day it was not worth it for me to sell my water cooled 290's for dual 980's to support the Swift. Not really a fan of paying the nVidia tax with all the FreeSync monitors around the corner.... right now I am burning through a few older games where I can maintain 110FPS minimums. Just waiting on the right variable sync replacement for the Tempest.

Last edited:
I was definitely tempted to go nVidia/Swift. In fact if the Swift was available without the matte coating I probably would have pulled the trigger. However, at this point I am glad I decided to wait. At the end of the day it was not worth it for me to sell my water cooled 290's for dual 980's to support the Swift. Not really a fan of paying the nVidia tax with all the FreeSync monitors around the corner.... right now I am burning through a few older games where I can maintain 110FPS minimums. Just waiting on the right variable sync replacement for the Tempest.

I honestly can't tell if Gsync even works. Still stutters below 60 fps, so to me, it was wasted money. 144hz with the 1ms input is incredible for fast pace and competitive games like Battlefield, but not that useful for other games.

Watercooled 290's? Hang on to those until the 490X or Nv equivalent, there's no reason to upgrade now. Maxwell is cool for 600/7000 series owners but not worthwhile for GK110/Hawaii owners.

This wasn't advertised as Adaptive Sync because of Asus's deal with Nvidia, probably.

Asus is pushing g-sync hard with the ROG Swift. They want to sell as many of those as they can before this new one rolls out.

If the price is (in US @ $599) around $699 in Canada, i will go with this one as well.

Hopefully it won't be (in my opinion) overpriced as ROG Swift @ $950+ in Canada. (+13% TAX - both prices).

damn. 599$ I am sold. This will be an EARLY purchase for me. I have been looking for IPS but waiting for 120hz to upgrade from my Dell 2713. This is very very exciting.

that price is really good if you ask me. He mentions in that video though minimum frame rate? does that mean if I dont get 40 the screen will have anomalies?

If Async is identical performance to Gsync then nvidia need to support it through drivers TBH because I would not pay more for the same thing if nvidia refuse to support Async, if Gsync is better then maybe it would be worth it but if they are identical not worth the extra money.

If this really does have working freesync then it's most exciting 'monitor' out of CES. $599 is a competitive price too.

If this really does have working freesync then it's most exciting 'monitor' out of CES. $599 is a competitive price too.

Mmm yes, although looks like its matte though or maybe semi glossy hard to tell from the video, full matte screens do look a bit crap compared to semi glossy or full glossy, if its semi glossy and does not have any other problems then it looks ideal, really hope this does not take more than a few months to get released! Also liking the grey casing which looks nice and would make the blacks look darker.

If Async is identical performance to Gsync then nvidia need to support it through drivers TBH because I would not pay more for the same thing if nvidia refuse to support Async, if Gsync is better then maybe it would be worth it but if they are identical not worth the extra money.

From a protocol standpoint Adaptive-sync could have an infinitesimally shorter latency than G-sync since it pre-negotiates GPU frame frequency tolerances where the latter spends time and some small amount of hardware resources polling the monitor controller for it to become ready.

On the other hand, G-sync's monitor scaler is basically hardware emulated on an FPGA and so could have some degree of future image quality improvement updates, but that's your gamble for the $150-$200 premium you pay over Adaptive-sync monitors.

Nvidia could trivially support Adaptive-sync on future GPUs but will likely never do so unless the number of Adaptive-sync monitors dwarfs the number of G-sync units sold and the manufacturers give up on them.

I hope there will be a G-Sync version of this, though I'm still cautious about the 5ms.

From a protocol standpoint Adaptive-sync could have an infinitesimally shorter latency than G-sync since it pre-negotiates GPU frame frequency tolerances where the latter spends time and some small amount of hardware resources polling the monitor controller for it to become ready.

On the other hand, G-sync's monitor scaler is basically hardware emulated on an FPGA and so could have some degree of future image quality improvement updates, but that's your gamble for the $150-$200 premium you pay over Adaptive-sync monitors.

Nvidia could trivially support Adaptive-sync on future GPUs but will likely never do so unless the number of Adaptive-sync monitors dwarfs the number of G-sync units sold and the manufacturers give up on them.

Thanks for info, well if all DP 1.2a monitors can support Async then it looks likely that would be the case (lots of async compatible monitors at good prices).... and Nvidia can either choose to support Async or likely lose a lot of customers. I assume that Nvidia could quite easily support Async through driver changes but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

Last edited:
I hope there will be a G-Sync version of this, though I'm still cautious about the 5ms.

If its under about 7.5ms average response time (which some IPS screens already have), then it should be able to keep up with 120hz... but the image quality of IPS is so much better than TN a little bit of blur is better than bad colors and psychedelic viewing angles!

What is the difference between this and my 1440p X-star OC'ed to 120hz that i got from 200 bucks on ebay? Is this going to be a worthwhile upgrade or nay.

eventually all future monitors will support it unless they never update their DP standards.
This is currently not correct.
Adaptive sync is an optional part of DP1.2a, and an optional part of DP 2.0. It looms like "DP 1.2a+" is going to be adopted as the de-facto generic branding to indicate Adaptive Sync support, but it is not a standardised label.
Currently, a manufacturer can make a fully DP1.2a or DP2.0 compliant display without Adaptive Sync support.

What is the difference between this and my 1440p X-star OC'ed to 120hz that i got from 200 bucks on ebay? Is this going to be a worthwhile upgrade or nay.

Quality control, warranty, quality of stand, backlight bleed etc. Also should have Async..

Those manufacturer espoused numbers are meaningless. Until we get our hands on one and can run a MPRT test, we don't know.

Blah. Why do all of these monitors with gaming specs have to be so tiny? 27" really? I've had a 30" monitor since like 2007. I've been using a 34" curved 21:9 for the immersion factor, but it would be nice to have one with Gsync or gaming specs. Every time ASUS comes out with a monitor for gamers they are tiny and I don't get why.

I would love to have 32" @ this resolution, to be honest with you, but ...

Blah. Why do all of these monitors with gaming specs have to be so tiny? 27" really? I've had a 30" monitor since like 2007. I've been using a 34" curved 21:9 for the immersion factor, but it would be nice to have one with Gsync or gaming specs. Every time ASUS comes out with a monitor for gamers they are tiny and I don't get why.

27" seems about right for a PC monitor... For a TV, no... But for a PC monitor that you sit 2ft away from 27" 1440p is about ideal for size and pixel density / performance. Why don't you buy a 40" 4K TV and use it as a monitor if you want a gigantic monitor.

Back