[CES2015] ASUS MG279Q 2560 x 1440 Gamer 120Hz IPS 5ms GTG

I'm kinda stumped about this myself, as I recall AMD made the claim that Freesync range is dependent on the panel's capability of variable refresh. Now here's this thing: TFTCentral pointed out that the panel in this Asus is the exact same one found in the Acer XB270HU, and that monitor is capable of variable refresh rates all the way up to 144Hz so the issue of the Asus not being able to do 144Hz freesync clearly has nothing to do with the inability of the panel to do so itself. It looks like Freesync, at the moment, is simply not capable of variable refresh rates up to 144Hz on IPS panels?? There are currently no other Freesync 144Hz IPS monitors out there atm so it's hard to say but I'm pretty glad I decided to stick with NVidia this time around and get a G Sync monitor.

Its not the panel it's the scaler that the manufacturer decides to use. Freesync works with whatever range the scaler can support.

AMD advertised freesync range is a case of paper is patient - it's defined in standard so someone might built hardware one day that supports it fully.

And then they advertise it against ranges from real working solution to prey on less informed customers.

AMD advertised freesync range is a case of paper is patient - it's defined in standard so someone might built hardware one day that supports it fully.

And then they advertise it against ranges from real working solution to prey on less informed customers.

:confused:

Nvidia themselves have pointed out, as example, that 144hz isn´t a G-Sync limitation, but a panel limitation. In the real world there is a difference between:

G-Sync technology vs. G-sync implementation in products.

Freesync technology vs. Freesync implementation in products.

Learn the difference.

Isn't that an old statement? it's been available here in Sweden for 2 weeks now.

I contacted a supplier here in Norway and they contacted Asus regarding the frame skipping issues and the recall. According to Asus, the screens shipping now are not among the ones that has been recalled.

I´ve ordered an Asus MG279Q. :D Shipment times are slow, so I dont expect the screen before next week. :)

I like this monitor, I am no longer a fast paced gamer :) And while I was worried about the 90hz upper freesync limit the review has reassured me a little. It just means I just have to keep turning up settings until I fall into that range :)

Going to give this monitor a chance, 144hz IPS is worth the money even without freesync.

This was my thoughts too. I switch between Nvidia and AMD often enough (and often have both), so I could have bought a G-sync or a Freesync screen. The upper limit doesnt worry me so much, since there is diminishing returns when it comes to the variable refresh rate above 90hz anyway and the horsepower needed to get above 90 fps in modern games makes it less useful to have variable refresh above 90hz . I would have preferred 30hz as a lower limit though.

The lack of scalar and the lack of connection options on G-Sync screens was the reason I choose a Freesync screen this time, since I use more then one connection to the screen. 144hz IPS-type screen which according to the Tftcentrals review seems to be a great performer could be a great screen regardless of what GPU I am using. And, I feel good about buying a monitor that are based upon an open, royalty-free VESA standard like DP 1.2a. :)

Last edited:
I contacted a supplier here in Norway and they contacted Asus regarding the frame skipping issues and the recall. According to Asus, the screens shipping now are not among the ones that has been recalled.

I´ve ordered an Asus MG279Q. :D Shipment times are slow, so I dont expect the screen before next week. :)

Which supplier? Komplett doesn't offer the fixed ones for sale yet

:confused:

Nvidia themselves have pointed out, as example, that 144hz isn´t a G-Sync limitation, but a panel limitation. In the real world there is a difference between:

G-Sync technology vs. G-sync implementation in products.

Freesync technology vs. Freesync implementation in products.

Learn the difference.

Ignore him. He is trolling every AMD Freesync thread. Well actually, every AMD thread, and usually with wrong information like the post above. It's kind of sad really.

Good luck on your new monitor :) Can you post up your impressions of it when it arrives please? I won't be purchasing for a few weeks so the slow deliveries in your country don't bother me :p

It will all depend on how the new cards from AMD perform. If they are good and reasonably priced I will buy this monitor and a new AMD card. But, if they aren't great, then I will get the 980Ti and get a Gsync IPS monitor.

Which supplier? Komplett doesn't offer the fixed ones for sale yet

Multicom:
http://www.multicom.no/asus-dis-27-mg279q-ips/cat-p/c/p8011171

Ignore him. He is trolling every AMD Freesync thread. Well actually, every AMD thread, and usually with wrong information like the post above. It's kind of sad really.

Good luck on your new monitor :) Can you post up your impressions of it when it arrives please? I won't be purchasing for a few weeks so the slow deliveries in your country don't bother me :p

It will all depend on how the new cards from AMD perform. If they are good and reasonably priced I will buy this monitor and a new AMD card. But, if they aren't great, then I will get the 980Ti and get a Gsync IPS monitor.

Lol, I know. He likes to make negative posts about AMD products. But, he should at least be corrected, since his post was too ignorant to let it pass. :p

I´ll post my impressions when I get it. Love testing sceens, so this is going to be fun! :D

Thinking of selling my U3011 and getting this. You guys think it'll be worth going down from 30" 1600p to 27" 1440p? I'll be gaming on it, which is what I'm doing now on the U3011, but been wanting to try out 144hz

Mine shipped from Overclockers UK this morning. Should have it by Saturday.

it would cost more to do 30hz-144hz, then it wouldn't be called Freesync.

blame AMD for that one.

it would cost more to do 30hz-144hz, then it wouldn't be called Freesync.

blame AMD for that one.

LOL What are you talking about? You do know the reason it is called Freesync? It's nothing to do with been free. It's because Monitor Manufacturers don't have to pay any royalties to anyone to use adaptive sync. That's why adaptive sync became known as freesync.

AMD have nothing what so ever to do with how monitor manufacturers price their monitors.

So no, you can't blame AMD for that one.

Can you explain this please?

It's simple, it's called Trolling. Since the name Freesync came about some less than intelligent people presumed you would get the monitor for free :rolleyes: What it actually means is there is nothing to be paid to AMD or VESA for using the technology. Whereas with Gsync monitor manufacturers have to buy the Gsync module from Nvidia.

If you have a question about Freesync, adaptive sync or Gsync, I will be try to explain some of the technology to you.

Just noticed that this monitor has begun selling in Taiwan for $100 (thereabouts) less than Swift.

However, I noticed that the dealer that sold this monitor made no effort to mention that this monitor supports Free-Sync. Either they completely missed it (which I doubt), or they didn't bother for some reason, which is odd considering they made Swift's G-sync really standout.

It might be something to do with the popularity of AMD cards, we never received ANY discounts on AMD cards when Maxwell was released, until several weeks ago, and by then the dealer already sold any 290x's (or got rid of them somehow), any remaining 290x/295x are still being sold at original prices, so I'd imagine that didn't do any favors for them.

Also, JSH being Taiwanese may have something to do with it.

With G-Sync you're paying for an expensive scaler and variable refresh controller as NVIDIA's card's do not have built-in support for variable refresh rates.

AMD's GCN cards natively support adaptive sync, but AMD doesn't manufacture a display controller. It's up to third-party controller/scaler manufacturers like Realtek to produce Freesync compatible scalers. Likely the controller/scaler Asus needed to pair with the AUO AHVA panel has limitations on it's Freesync range. It's a safe assumption that in the future, this limitation will no longer exist.

I want one of these whenever a damn US retailer will finally get one.

Not really to concerned about the range only being 35Hz - 90 Hz for Freesync. Seriously doubt the upcoming Fury cards will be pulling over 90 FPS on the highest settings with current games anyway at 1440p. I have no problem dropping the money on a solid performing single video card, but I probably will never go dual GPU (yes I know Freesync isn't working with xfire).

Mine just arrived. Unboxed and looks good. IPS glow not bad at all.

Will post some impressions once I have time to play with.

Mine just arrived. Unboxed and looks good. IPS glow not bad at all.

Will post some impressions once I have time to play with.

Brilliant, at last an actual user review :) I guess what people here are most interested in is how Freesync performs.

And how well does it handle going over the 90hz and dropping back down under it again.

Personally I don't care about ULMB. But viewing angles and color mean enough to me to dump the Swift and fall back to my Dell UP3214Q for now. I'll be all over an IPS GSYNC display.

I like the Swift for gaming but I I have to run Monitor Calibration Wizard to force a color profile for the Windows desktop/apps (MCW doesn't help for most games) as color and gamma are so out of whack. And that's after calibration.

Also, due to TN viewing angles running the Swift in portrait is not an option. I'd like to try NVIDIA surround in portrait with three monitors.

I use dispcal gui and set games to windowed or borderless window.

Been playing with mine for the past couple hours. Here are an admittedly garbled set of first impressions:

OSD is very well designed and easy to use
The "Racing" preset is the best all around preset.
Color accuracy and, obviously, DPI not as good as my up2414. It's taking me a bit to get used to. Might just be I need to calibrate it better. Going from 4k at 24" to 1440p at 27" is definitely a downgrade, but I'd adjusted my expectations here so not too disappointed
Freesync is great as long as FPS falls within 35-90. When I dip under 35 in the Witcher 3, it is a bit noticeable. Gonna do some tweaking to settings to see if I can align more with that range. But it is a world improvement overall in smoothness
Stand is super sturdy and easy to adjust

harmattan
Factory build quality compare to Acer (if you've seen Acer Predator or any display from Acer)? Is there shit like dust under the coating?

What about backlight bleed? Glow? Tint?
Anything to compare to?

I can compare it to my up2414q and HP LP3065. IPS glow, bleed, tint is superior to both of those. This is definitely a cut above those older models. Haven't used any Acer, but I'd say the build quality is similar to high-end NECs, HPs and Ultrasharps I've used. No dust or build issues whatsoever.

All in all very pleased with it. Wish it was 4k, but then it wouldn't be over 60hz.

Ah, one more thing... This monitor wakes from sleep, goes back to desktop from games, and switches inputs faster than any monitor I've used. It literally takes half a second to exit a game back to desktop.

Last edited:
Thanks for your initial views Harmattan :)

I am not too worried about the lower end, if you are getting under 30fps its going to feel crap anyway.
what I am wondering is how do you find it at the upper limit of Freesync? how is it at framerates higher than 90?

Thanks for your initial views Harmattan :)

I am not too worried about the lower end, if you are getting under 30fps its going to feel crap anyway.
what I am wondering is how do you find it at the upper limit of Freesync? how is it at framerates higher than 90?

Just did a four run thrus in Alien Isolation where my FPS is surely over 90. Didn't notice any loss of smoothness/fluidity. I did see tearing once (I think) when the FPS jumped very high, but hardly noticeable

I can't believe I held off this long getting a 120hz/144hz monitor with Freesync/gsync. It's a real game changer.

Been playing with mine for the past couple hours. Here are an admittedly garbled set of first impressions:

OSD is very well designed and easy to use
The "Racing" preset is the best all around preset.
Color accuracy and, obviously, DPI not as good as my up2414. It's taking me a bit to get used to. Might just be I need to calibrate it better. Going from 4k at 24" to 1440p at 27" is definitely a downgrade, but I'd adjusted my expectations here so not too disappointed
Freesync is great as long as FPS falls within 35-90. When I dip under 35 in the Witcher 3, it is a bit noticeable. Gonna do some tweaking to settings to see if I can align more with that range. But it is a world improvement overall in smoothness
Stand is super sturdy and easy to adjust

Congrats! :)

How is the coating? I have a glossy LCD on my desk that reflects every single lightsource that drives me crazy, so this being matte was one of the things that made me buy it.

Just did a four run thrus in Alien Isolation where my FPS is surely over 90. Didn't notice any loss of smoothness/fluidity. I did see tearing once (I think) when the FPS jumped very high, but hardly noticeable

I can't believe I held off this long getting a 120hz/144hz monitor with Freesync/gsync. It's a real game changer.

CAn you compare the same runs with freesync off and then freesync on?

Some people are complaining about IPS glow. How is that on yours?

Really glad you are enjoying the step up :) What did you upgrade from?

CAn you compare the same runs with freesync off and then freesync on?

Some people are complaining about IPS glow. How is that on yours?

Really glad you are enjoying the step up :) What did you upgrade from?

IPS glow not bad at all, better than my up2414q and lp3065.

Very noticeable reduction in tearing with Freesync on vs off. It's pretty boss.

Coating is matte, not glossy. Would never have gotten if it was.

"Upgraded" from a Dell up2414q which has both fantastic DPI and color accuracy (but some DP quirks and mediocre response time). The loss in DPI is still something I'm not sure I can live with to be honest; the color accuracy is comparable. I would suggest anyone considering going from 4k to 1440p for the refresh speed and Freesync should think long and hard. If I was given the choice again between a decent IPS 4k and a 1440p IPS with Freesync like this one, that would be a hard choice. Previously, when the only decent Freesync/gsync displays were TN, the choice was easy, but now with this model and the Predator, your choice is harder. That said, if I had a TN Freesync or gysnc, I'd be looking to move to the mg279q as soon as possible (I really hate TN panels for PC use).

I ultimately think moving to 1440p for higher resfresh and freesync was worth it considering the issues with my up2414q and my priority is more gaming than design or business use at home, but takes some getting used to the lower resolution.

Last edited:
Thanks man, and interesting viewpoints. Delighted that freesync does make a huge difference even limited to 90hz.

I will be moving from a 23 inch 120Hz1080p monitor so I should be happy :)

But, I was considering moving to 4K and now I read your thoughts I wonder should I just do that and wait for the Samsung 4k freesync monitor are released.

haha, round and round I go!!

To confirm, these are "fixed" monitors that go to 144hz but only 35-90fps with freesync?

To my understanding yes. There were a small amount out in retail weeks ago that had the issue, but these do not. Pretty sure this is the first release in the US too.

To confirm, these are "fixed" monitors that go to 144hz but only 35-90fps with freesync?

Yes, these will be the fixed monitors that Asus (re)shipped to resellers.

Had a long gaming session with mine yesterday in Witcher 3 and still very impressed with this display. Just wish it was 4k, but i guess we're a year or two away from 4k 144hz displays.

Glad I decided not to wait on this. Went with the xg270hu instead, and regret nothing. Color is just as vivid as my 34um95 and freesync goes all the way to 144hz. Sad part is, I didn't know that there wasn't crosshair support for freesync yet when I bought it... I'm running a 295x2 lol.

Glad I decided not to wait on this. Went with the xg270hu instead, and regret nothing. Color is just as vivid as my 34um95 and freesync goes all the way to 144hz. Sad part is, I didn't know that there wasn't crosshair support for freesync yet when I bought it... I'm running a 295x2 lol.

Crossfire support is coming in the next driver release to my understanding.

Myself I am still debating on the BenQ and this ASUS Monitor.

But you have a TN panel Bravo!!!!

After using IPS/PLA panels for the last 4 years, I cant use TN. I sometimes hook up my sons BenQ XL2411Z (same panel as the 2420z) and while its awesome for CS:GO, I cannot stand to look at it for very long. I really need to setup a dual monitor setup I think but maybe Ill just grab a 144hz IPS, not sure yet. I know the 2411Z is boss compared to my QX2710 @ 100hz.

But you have a TN panel Bravo!!!!

After using IPS/PLA panels for the last 4 years, I cant use TN. I sometimes hook up my sons BenQ XL2411Z (same panel as the 2420z) and while its awesome for CS:GO, I cannot stand to look at it for very long. I really need to setup a dual monitor setup I think but maybe Ill just grab a 144hz IPS, not sure yet. I know the 2411Z is boss compared to my QX2710 @ 100hz.

Lol. Can't call me a tn peasant though. I still own a high-end ips. But that aside, I like the acer a lot. I gave up some space and viewing angles, but color is just as nice, blacks are nice, higher refresh rate is nice, and freesync at 144hz would be nice if they supported crossfire. :mad: I will say that before I bought, I was looking to have my cake and eat it too. If they can get a higher res 21:9 panel that's va or ips at 144hz, I will buy it in a heart beat. I saw that one that was 1080p, but it's 1080p. My next major purchase will probably be the HTC vive.

Back