CES 2012 Demonstration FAIL of the Day

ahhaha how lame, like nobody was going to notice that it was playing a video. He even did a bad job of syncing his steering wheel movements to the video.

Gotta love it.

I guess they (intel) were trying to show that they have trouble even playing back full screen video on an Ivy Bridge lappy? A lot of people are going to be disappointed.
I am pleased that the presenter just gave up and walked off leaving the video running.

I guess they (intel) were trying to show that they have trouble even playing back full screen video on an Ivy Bridge lappy? A lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Someone needs to take off their AMD shirt. ;)

LOL!
Nothing like Microsoft demo where they get BSD in front a audience. That has happened several times.

LOL!
Nothing like Microsoft demo where they get BSD in front a audience. That has happened several times.

Personally though i'd much rather that , at least its live hardware and software and microsoft had to roll with the failure

trying to pass the video off as live gameplay was just hilarious. I'm sure the the pucker factor was probably pretty high as soon as he saw the video overlay appear...

Doesn't look like a fail to me other than the stuttering video. Looks like he was trying to be funny, "Gotcha! :p"

Doesn't look like a fail to me other than the stuttering video. Looks like he was trying to be funny, "Gotcha! :p"

Why would you bother setting up a wheel and a "game" for a joke? Looked pretty clear to me that they were trying to pass it off as real game play and failed. Pretty dang sad and lame IMO.

Why not just set up a SB laptop, or desktop somewhere and actually play the game on it? Such an amateur attempt at lying; Come on, Intel.. no one gives a shit about DX11 on Note/Ultrabooks.

If you guys watched the video to the end he purposely states that he can even drive it with no hands because it's not actually him driving it... and that's when he takes his hands off, makes the joke, and walks away.

If you guys watched the video to the end he purposely states that he can even drive it with no hands because it's not actually him driving it... and that's when he takes his hands off, makes the joke, and walks away.

I'd call the joke "damage control" after the demo didn't play out as planned.

Stop....STOP..did it just Hitch in the first couple seconds of the game.....:mad:

I'd call the joke "damage control" after the demo didn't play out as planned.

Yea, this right here. He saw that the video didn't start as planned (not too great of a demo for playback, and I'm an Intel fanboy/shareholder/user, so I'm not wearing my AMD t-shirt - which I do have) and went with it. That's what differentiates good PR guy from great PR guy. Bill Gates did great with Win98 BSOD, Steve Jobs couldn't do it so he died. Too soon? :)

Fail on the part of the video. Success of the PR presenter, though. :)

Probably a complete win, though, for Intel. That video is now everywhere. It got attention in someplace where it would otherwise be forgotten.

Yup, the video stutters several times during the playback perfectly illustrating how shitty ultrabooks are since they can't even properly play a low res video stored on a hard drive. They can't even use the lie of "it was youtube buffering" because he double committed to the lie by saying people were controlling it backstage even though everyone saw the VLC video playback controls.

Stuttering video playback, and no 3D.

I think should credit the GPU vendor who "supplied the the GPU the video was recorded from. In addition to an Senior Executive blatently lying, could we call this "Hardware Plagiarism"?

It wasn't a joke at all, he even still tries to lie at the end saying that someone back stage is driving it.

1) That isn't the ultrabook form factor that they were promoting it working on
2) How much DX11 support would that demo really need? Is that setting option available in the game only because of some driver inf flag? What about some actual DX11 settings or comparison shots or maybe another game?

I'm not saying Intel can't do it, but the "proof" they've shown thus far is incredibly lackluster for a chip that is supposed to be coming out in 3 months. DX11 could be totally broken in any other DX11 application and the ultrabook platform might run that same demo at half the framerate because of thermal constraints..Intel, I am dissapoint

Yup, the video stutters several times during the playback perfectly illustrating how shitty ultrabooks are since they can't even properly play a low res video stored on a hard drive. They can't even use the lie of "it was youtube buffering" because he double committed to the lie by saying people were controlling it backstage even though everyone saw the VLC video playback controls.

VLC can 'play back' a live stream, which is probably the easiest way to do something like this.

So the 'stutters during playback' could well be from the backstage platform's attempt to encode the game being played in realtime at the same time as streaming it over the network to the ultrabook.

Not saying that IS what happened, but...it fits the described activity and observed events.

This^, I didn't see a fail either and I know a fail when I see it.

And yet this was a total Fail. The dude knew that it was a fail as soon as there was sound but no video moving and thought of a way to recover the situation. If your going to show off tech, show a video if the hardware or software is not ready. The whole steering wheel setup was obvious that they wanted people to thing there was some game play going on. He even failed when he said that it was being driven from backstage at the end.

It's a total fail because I don't know what the heck was going on in that video.

VLC can 'play back' a live stream, which is probably the easiest way to do something like this.

So the 'stutters during playback' could well be from the backstage platform's attempt to encode the game being played in realtime at the same time as streaming it over the network to the ultrabook.

Not saying that IS what happened, but...it fits the described activity and observed events.

The issue i see with this is why would it need to be played back stage anyway? was it being steamed into VLC from hardware that was not what they were showcasing? That would still be a Fail as they were passing something off in a way that raises to many eyebrows.

Back