Certifications

CeD

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Anyone know how often certifications need to be renewed once they are acquired?

CCNA, A+, etc

Thanks,
Cedric

I would say that once you have your A+ there is not a need once you have been in the industry for a few years. With something like the CCNA again when you have done that kind of work for multiple years that would be your choice to go at it again.

KM

CCNA is every 3 years, Not sure on the rest, but they all need to be renewed

CompTIA's certs are good for life.
A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, HTI+, e-Biz+, CTT+, CDIA+, Linux+, i-Net+, Project+
Most of these are pretty entry level though.

All of the CompTIA certs are non-renewable and are good for life. I think Microsoft certs are valid as long as the modules haven't changed for your specialty like dropping off DOS and adding Windows server 2003 for example. I think all you have to do is recertify the new module to keep your cert current.

Ditto on the rest of em...Craptia's certs are good forever which is a good thing because they are a joke. Now before anyone gets all high and mighty on me...I am A+ certified =P. I didn't even bother studying and passed them. Cisco certs...No clue. Microshaft certs...Another joke. I spent 10 minutes passing 2k server. As for the longivity of them...MS doens't support NT4 anymore, but people who have MCP's and MCSE's in NT4 are still MCSE's and MCP's.

Thanks for the all the responses!

I didn't realize that A+ was so easy -- hehe

Cisco's are 3 years. It varies on how you renew them. For my CCNP I had to re-take switching and routing. My CISSP is 3 years but I can do outside work to earn credits so I don't have to re-test.

The MCSE is strange. The NT4 MCSEs were supposed to have to renew a while back but when people weren't running to upgrade to the 2K track Microsoft backed down. They didn't want the number of certified people to suddenly drop way down. :)

Back