CERN Scientists Hit 5.5 Trillion Degrees

HardOCP News

[H] News
Exactly where would you find a thermometer to measure 5.5 trillion degrees?

CERN, the European physics lab responsible for discovering the Higgs boson just last month, has scored another major achievement in the realm of physics. No, scientists there haven't discovered any freaky new particles — they're just doing some pretty cool things with existing particles. Or should we say hot things: CERN scientists have created a "quark-gluon plasma" that clocks in at a balmy 5.5 trillion degrees.

that's awesome. What kind of containment vessel (I type that and I think of Star Trek's "Scotty" saying it) can keep that heat? How long does it stay "hot"?

Its probably the size of a atom and lasts 1/10000000000000th of a second.

Makes you wonder about the possibilities of steam power. I wonder what the ROI of energy would be.

So roughly the internal core temperature of a stock clocked Prescott Pentium 4?

One wonders if they could produce enough steam to power itself with leftover bits. Goodbye nuclear energy.

that's awesome. What kind of containment vessel (I type that and I think of Star Trek's "Scotty" saying it) can keep that heat? How long does it stay "hot"?
Well temperature might be thrown around a bit loosely, because yeah anything on this planet would be vaporized at that temperature, hell nothing could actually stay at that temperature and remain cohesive.

All in all they smash two things together are close to the speed of light, and the kinetic energy of everything flying out translates to a temperature. I mean the corona of our Sun can get upwards of 3 million Kelvin, but the radiation that we feel from the Sun comes from the surface which is only about 5.8k Kelvin, why? Because there's more of it, MUCH more...

I seem to remember kinetic energy = 3/2 kT so it's a matter of making move really fast, more than having something that's moving really fast stay contained.

Either transparent aluminum or Unobtainium

I don't think Transparent Aluminum would hold the heat well. It is still aluminum - great for holding back water. Maybe Trellium-D since it is good at protection from spatial anomalies and is used as a general insulator. :D

I wonder if the flash could produce the 1.21 gigawatts needed....

Doesn't it make you feel secure knowing that somewhere scientists are trying to recreate The Big Bang. As long as we're still here, they've failed. Losers!

In plasma physics, temperature isn't measured in a conventional sense with a thermometer. Particle energies are measured in electron-volts (eV), which can be correlated back to units of Kelvin. Wiki

Its probably the size of a atom and lasts 1/10000000000000th of a second.

Well its a quark, which makes up various matter of the Atom so its pretty small (smaller then the atom)

The Quark is supposed to have a half life of 10^-23 s, which is probably close to what you stated :D (0.00000000000000000000001)

The heat sustained from this was probably in that area and had a life lesser then that of the quark (energy drained = quark decayed).

Don't know much about the Gluon.

Don't know much about the Gluon.

It's one of the main products of photosynthesis and fuels for cellular respiration. It is a common medical analyte measured in blood samples. Eating or fasting prior to taking a blood sample has an effect on the result. Higher than usual levels may be a sign of prediabetes or diabetes mellitus.

It's one of the main products of photosynthesis and fuels for cellular respiration. It is a common medical analyte measured in blood samples. Eating or fasting prior to taking a blood sample has an effect on the result. Higher than usual levels may be a sign of prediabetes or diabetes mellitus.

You know, if I didn't just go read up on this I would of believed you in some weird way.

Either way the Quark Gluon Plasma is the new state of matter which has been hypothesized, created but never recreated. This is the re-creation I guess?

Either way, interesting stuff.

Isn't that glucose?

because under intense temperature and pressure, matter does really, really bizarre stuff. By seeing what happens in those situations, we can learn more about the universe.

can someone tell me whats the point of reaching temps that high? what do we need 2 suns?

I'll say "Wow" when they claim that they achieved -1 Kelvin. Then we can claim that perpetual motion is possible.

Well, this device isn't for that use, since its entire purpose is to add energy to matter, not remove it.

can someone tell me whats the point of reaching temps that high? what do we need 2 suns?

whats the point of computers, we have typewriters?

Science is always learning things through the extreme ways, these accelerators are one of the ways to see matter at their rawest form and most of the time we miss it when it happens, meaning we have to do it a lot just to have the chance to see it.

And because of this, science found a new phase of matter (solid, liquid, gas) which could lead into quite a few different theories.

a) we're (ok they) are trying to create conditions of the early universe, which was really REALLY hot.
b) they want to study quarks, quarks don't exist freely in nature, in fact the only time they were thought to exist was before matter existed ... because it was too hot that matter couldn't form
c1) that temperature would dwarf the temperature of the hottest locations in the entire universe, which dwarf the temperatures of the Sun
c2) there's not enough energy in their plasma bake a cookie (estimate)

I'll say "Wow" when they claim that they achieved -1 Kelvin. Then we can claim that perpetual motion is possible.

I'm pretty sure that this is, quite literally, impossible. Zero Kelvin represents absolutely no atomic or molecular movement in a structure, or the point of zero kinetic energy. It's not possible to get "less than zero" kinetic energy. There's no way to make the atoms in a lattice "more stopped" beyond being completely frozen.

If you were using <sarcasm> tags, I totally missed it. :p

Back