CEOs To Blame For Data Breaches

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don’t know about you but this guy is my new hero. Seriously, all these laptops getting stolen that contain tons of data on customers? This guy is right, the blame should be placed squarely on the shoulders of the people running the company.

"The roll call of banks, retailers, government departments, public bodies and other organizations which have admitted serious security lapses is frankly horrifying," Richard Thomas wrote in a report. "How can laptops holding details of customer accounts be used away from the office without strong encryption? How can millions of store card transactions fall into the wrong hands?"

Amen! I've only known a few CEOs who take data security seriously. It's their job to lead the company. That includes security. It would be nice to see some CEOs held accountable for a change...

As a head of a company, you represent that company and you set standard for everyone within that company. If you lay back with your feet on your desk, guess what the employees will do? Follow.

As a leader you should also assume to take blame for employee mis-happenings too.... you don't get paid big money to sit and look pretty.

Not only that but you also have the companies where the upper management just won't let IT spend the money on making things more secure as it hurts their profit.

Just like how banks would rather pay you back the money that somebody might steal from your account as opposed to paying out the money to make their systems more secure.

Not only that but you also have the companies where the upper management just won't let IT spend the money on making things more secure as it hurts their profit.

Very few of them understand that IT should be the next big major liability - if our idiot politicians ever come to understand this and enact major consequences for data breaches.

This site is full of some of the most "holier then thou" know it alls.

What kind of punishment do you all have in mind? Jail time? Good luck getting anyone to be in charge of a company if they are directly responsible for any and all happenings of its staff.

There are valid points to all of this of course, that the executive management of the organization needs to share in the responsibility of this stuff. Calling the CEO the single scape goat for all this crap is a cop out.

What about the CIO, isn't this his primary area of expertise? Should he go to jail? Should the IT managers go to jail if they knew the encryption at the company wasn't sufficient? Shouldn't they be held accountable if they knowingly work for a company that doesn't secure its data to the fullest extent possibe? Should the person who lost the laptop go to jail?

Your going to have to pay me 100 times as much for me to risk going to jail because of a stolen laptop.

You say "Oh its not the IT managers fault if they told the CEO didn't provide them the funds to secure their systems and laptops."

Non-sense, its their job to convince the CEO. If that doesn't happen then ethically you should leave. There's plenty of blame to go around. The CEO's are only the tip of the iceberg. Probably an easy target because they make a lot of money and everyone seems to want them to go down.

I am surprised that these thefts shock and awe so many of you. The simple facts are that your SSN# is out there, your address is out there, your CC#'s are out there, and whatever other PII someone needs to steal your identify is out there. You just need to know where to look and unfortunately, criminals do know where to look.

This whole issue is relatively new to businesses. They are trying to figure out how to deal with it. Its not an easy task. It seems many of you think these are easy fixes and should just be done, but there is some effort involved and its all going to take time.

I don't know what my point is anymore. I just don't like the whole "burn em at the stake" attitude everyone has anytime somebody does something wrong. We as a society are ready to throw everyone in jail for any c I'm sure there's nobody on these forums that's ever made a mistake. I bet none of you posted on this website while at work right? Isn't that getting paid and not working - Stealing - go to jail now.

This site is full of some of the most "holier then thou" know it alls.

What kind of punishment do you all have in mind? Jail time? Good luck getting anyone to be in charge of a company if they are directly responsible for any and all happenings of its staff.

There are valid points to all of this of course, that the executive management of the organization needs to share in the responsibility of this stuff. Calling the CEO the single scape goat for all this crap is a cop out.

What about the CIO, isn't this his primary area of expertise? Should he go to jail? Should the IT managers go to jail if they knew the encryption at the company wasn't sufficient? Shouldn't they be held accountable if they knowingly work for a company that doesn't secure its data to the fullest extent possibe? Should the person who lost the laptop go to jail?

Your going to have to pay me 100 times as much for me to risk going to jail because of a stolen laptop.

You say "Oh its not the IT managers fault if they told the CEO didn't provide them the funds to secure their systems and laptops."

Non-sense, its their job to convince the CEO. If that doesn't happen then ethically you should leave. There's plenty of blame to go around. The CEO's are only the tip of the iceberg. Probably an easy target because they make a lot of money and everyone seems to want them to go down.

I am surprised that these thefts shock and awe so many of you. The simple facts are that your SSN# is out there, your address is out there, your CC#'s are out there, and whatever other PII someone needs to steal your identify is out there. You just need to know where to look and unfortunately, criminals do know where to look.

This whole issue is relatively new to businesses. They are trying to figure out how to deal with it. Its not an easy task. It seems many of you think these are easy fixes and should just be done, but there is some effort involved and its all going to take time.

I don't know what my point is anymore. I just don't like the whole "burn em at the stake" attitude everyone has anytime somebody does something wrong. We as a society are ready to throw everyone in jail for any c I'm sure there's nobody on these forums that's ever made a mistake. I bet none of you posted on this website while at work right? Isn't that getting paid and not working - Stealing - go to jail now.

THANK you. :cool:

Back